Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie: Valloire season pass? Suitability for snowboard (idiot questions)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

New here, and in truth, new to the snow scene. Wife and I are snowboarder wannabies - can just about get down green and bumble down a blue, but thats about it.

We're planning maybe 6 weeks in the Alps in our little campervan to both improve our boarding and to improve our French language skills.

Valloire seems to have a decent campsite close to the slopes, and is offering a "First Flakes" season pass for 199€ which is a bargain. This would mean we could use that for 5-6 weeks and then move on to other resorts as necessary. Seems a bargain and very cost effective.

Anyone know about Valloire and this pass?

Good place for snowboarders (whose goal is really to happily do blue/reds only lol!)
Does this pass cover Vameinier as well as Valloire?

Any other info welcome - thank you in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ActiveCampers, welcome to snowheads. I've also been looking at that season pass and asked a boarder friend what he thought of the resort as he visited last march. Here's what he said

Quote:

Re: Valloire
YEp, we went there last March.

The resort is small, quite, a handful of pricey but average restaurants, one "supermarket" and two lift stations.

I'm not experienced enough to comment on the runs, but I thought they were OK. Limited amount really, hence the cheapness of the passes! But if it's a mixed group that just want to have fun, then there should be enough. I'd say it's best for beginner-intermediate skiers. There is a snow park, snow cross run and half pipe.

We never went over to Vallmier, as all the lower slopes were closed.

I think you'd get bored long before three weeks! Esp as there is virtually no off-piste stuff.

The upper slopes at Valloire suffer from Westerly winds, but that is more of a spring time problem than in deepest winter.

the eski-mo pass in the same are might be worth looking at, for you. 245 euros for four resorts at the eastern end of the maurienne

http://www.eski-mo.com/index_gb.php
http://www.la-norma.com/fr/tarifs-forfaits-de-ski/forfaits-eski-mo.html
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, and welcome to snowheads!

I went to Valloire at the beginning of this year and really liked it. I wrote a trip report which can be found here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1457505&highlight=valloire#1457505

The area is smallish but 150km of piste is not tiny, and 90% of this is greens, blues and reds. As you are only just starting out, I would imagine that Valloire is a good place to base yourself, especially as the season pass is such good value. The season pass does cover Valmeinier too. I think the resort suits borders reasonably well, all drag lifts can be avoided, many of the pistes are wide and open, especially on the main hill of Crey du Quart and the pistes are uncrowded. I would think after 5 or 6 weeks you would be more than ready to move on, but for variety you could do day trips to other Maurianne valley resorts, and even pop over to Orelle, which links into the vast '3 valleys' (Val Thoren, Corchevel, Meribel). On a 6 day resort pass, you can get free/discounted day passes to other nearby resorts, and I would think this is also possible with the season pass.

The resort itself is small but it suited us. There is not too much English spoken as it is mainly the French and some dutch who come here, so is a good place to improve your language skills. There are a a couple of supermarkets, there is an open market held on the church square once a week and a good mix of restaurants that we didnt find especially expensive for a ski resort.

Good luck, and I am not at all jealous of you popping off to the alps for an extended stay!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that. I found one of those resorts covered by the eski-mo pass, but got a dead end, so those links help to clarify - thanks.
Our time would be Dec-->Feb so hopefully the route to Vallmier will be open, and, from searching on here, the route has been upgraded (?) - though as your mate says last march, Hmmm.
Valfrejus is possibly too steep for us, though the others look reasonable.
Need to look at campsite possibilities too as thats essential for us.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ActiveCampers, Just a thought, is your campervan kitted out for the Alps, fully insulated, etc? There was a thread on the need for this some time ago.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sort of Smile
Its a ford transit conversion, and does have insulation, lagged tanks/pipes; 12v heater in fresh; and of course refillable LPG and gas heating. (see http://www.doyourdream.co.uk if you are vaguly interested).
We've had a few days in Sierra nevada and a few in St Lary, as well as a few days crossing into Italy and Switzerland via the mountains!n Got some full snow tyres ready this year though!
Its not as insultated as some of the big beasts, but small is more useful to us.
I'll search that thread out in case it has some decent tips - thanks for the heads up!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ActiveCampers, There was a quote from it in the press, words such as "You will die" I believe. Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B wrote:
ActiveCampers, There was a quote from it in the press, words such as "You will die" I believe. Smile

Puzzled

Lost me there I'm afriad Colin. True enough though, I will die, thats for sure. Though hopefully not till I've lived a long and full life.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't see why anyone with a bit of imagination should get bored with Valloire/Valmeinier within 3 weeks - and that lift pass is a seriously good deal. Depends on your attitude. We have spent the last eight seasons skiing in an area with 185 kms of runs and we ain't bored yet. But then I'm not easily bored; in fact I can't remember a time when I was bored.

I would, however, have some worries about spending that much time in a campervan unless it was winterised to a very high standard. I'd suggest you look out some very cold spots (Scottish Highlands in the next few days?) and get up there and see how it is. That would give you some insight but you'd need to be able to cope with - 15 degrees.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Pam - good to hear your expeiences. We're so much novice we won't touch the reds for at least 3 weeks! Does sound the place to be.

We've "camped" at the top of Sierra Nevada (7,800ft) in snow over xmas last year, then at St Lary where the fountains were frozen with no problems so I'm not worried about the van. Valloire has a campsite with 240v hookup, which means the hot water, tank defroster and the heating can be on 24x7 so it should be fine. Its a little more than a transit and air-bed Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Valloire is fairly high up to be in a camper van but plenty of skiing across Valloire/Valmeinier . If it is cold, you might drop down and there is a camp site at Orelle (about 600m) and you could do some day trips into 3V.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alti - dude wrote:
Valloire is fairly high up to be in a camper van but plenty of skiing across Valloire/Valmeinier . If it is cold, you might drop down and there is a camp site at Orelle (about 600m) and you could do some day trips into 3V.

That looks excellent - that campsite isn't on my databade rolling eyes and is 1km from gondolla. The seasom pass at Valloire (199 € ) also gives 40% discount in the Maurienne Valley. So this may be a possibility for even a short duration.

Thank you very much! snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope you enjoy sharing the slopes with kids Very Happy It is a very popular destination for school groups
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy