Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry slope slalom racing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, just wondering if any of you are acclaimed, or even not, dry slope racers. Or have any experience. I have just taken it up, something to do before the season starts, and am finding it a very...weird experience. I'm cheating quite a lot, as you can't edge so much I am doing rapid edge changes incorporating a little hop/jump. It's not proper, but I have no idea if there is a specific technique for it.

Any pointers?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to do a lot of dry slope racing when I was at Uni and although the on snow is a lot faster it's basically the same. Just pay a lot of attention to your trainer as getting all the little techniques and movements right make it so much easier, but if you keep at it you will find your skiing hugely improved when you get back on snow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
northy014, Over the time at various races I have seen some of the top times been set by guys that sit on their tales and kick gates out of the way NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

Even if you look at the WC slalom racing depending on the gate set you will see racers jumps from edge to edge to get around gates.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
northy014, never mind cheating - is it fast? wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
northy014, Usual 'Have not seen you ski' caveats apply.

Sharp edges ?

Best to keep both skis on the ground. You can get an edge - but you have to do it sensitively. Feet apart will allow you a bit more balance.

But I don't think you could describe it as
Quote:
cheating
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To truly succeed you must master the art of stamping. You will know you are there when you start loosing buckles from your boots.

ski wrote:
But I don't think you could describe it as
Quote:
cheating
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fattes13 wrote:
northy014, Over the time at various races I have seen some of the top times been set by guys that sit on their tales and kick gates out of the way NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

Even if you look at the WC slalom racing depending on the gate set you will see racers jumps from edge to edge to get around gates.

A number of gates are set deliberately too close to carve around with regulation skis hence racers pivoting their skis before engaging them in a carve. On a dry slope due to the short length I imagine the courses are set very tightly too.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 26-10-10 19:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dryslope is great for the basics; balance, timing, body position and general muscle memory etc... thought here are some big differences, just treat it as a seperate sport that has a lot of similarities.

Snow racing requires a lot more power especially on the outside ski and pulling your weight forward, dryslope tends far more toward reactions and agility (obviously also present in snow racing) as well as having weight more on both skis as you are constantly fighting for grip and unlike ice you can't get that from minimising edging area.

unless you have a snowdome nearby and a spare few thousand to invest its the best we have and it will improve your skiing greatly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
northy014, have a look at
http://youtube.com/v/6QcRPmZZVz4&feature=fvsr

Slalom racing on the most extreme dryslope in the UK, Hillend Edinburgh. From the top it's called the wall , i.e you cant see the first pitch below you, its too steep. Lots of styles on show , worth looking from around 6:00 minutes , get an idea of all styles , at 8:25 is a great example of jumping gate to gate . you get an idea of speed from the crash at 7:05.
Some great skiers on show , including some current and past skiers who have represented GB at Children and Junior
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dulcamara wrote:
unless you have a snowdome nearby and a spare few thousand to invest its the best we have

NO IT IS NOT!! Mad

http://youtube.com/v/IvBmXv_7oQM

http://youtube.com/v/7j16Fjo6Uns&NR=1&feature=fvwp

http://youtube.com/v/__xT-hxK2zA

http://youtube.com/v/h0Bkq5ik9kc&feature=related

etc. etc...

P.S. I mostly train on dry BUT I know which is BETTER!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roga, Your second link down , I was part of the course crew for the Hiton Race at Cairngorm and even this video does not show how good Cairngorm was that day. It was a treat to ski a full length pisted White Lady, we had it to ourselves for about an hour as we skied up and down to bring the poles , netting , banners etc up. Could have been anywhere!!!.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scot_Ski, I was there that day too (not racing was instructing) and totally agree - the inversion first thing in the morning was beautiful Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roga, I raced that day and it was the best conditions I had all winter, but you have to admit that a lot of Scottish races have been cancelled in recent years.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs, yes I ski with people who've been affected by the cancellations but to suggest that domes and dry slopes are the best the UK has to offer (which was the comment I was responding to) is complete tosh!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I meant for example, me, i lived near london, Scotland is just not feasible for weekly training sessions, especially in the summer... what happens if my private jet is broken? the same goes for our young question asker who is in herefordshire.

so for weekly training YES IT IS Mad
snow conditions
dulcamara, apologies if I didn't understand your post as you meant it to be understood but I'd suggest that's not what you said ... anyway not to dwell on that!

I'm aware it's a bit far to travel for weekly session, that's why I spend most of my training time on dry myself. However, although it's patently obvious that dry slopes (or the snowdomes) are not the best that's on offer in the UK. Most of us, even those of us who work on snow some of the year, have to take the second best option sometimes but hey it's better than nothing innit! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
northy014, welcome to the crazy world of plastic racing Toofy Grin as others have said you can get on edge and carve (most places.....some of the dryslopes are lost causes for any sort of edge grip Blush ) it just seems harder than on snow but once you get the hang of it it's not so bad.
Officials seem to have been having a bit of a crackdown on stamping this summer, lots of DSQs!
Hope you enjoy it, I reckon you'll soon be addicted and we'll see you on the circuit next summer Very Happy Hopefully I'll be skiing again by then Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Quote:

A number of gates are set deliberatly too close to carve around with relulation skis hence racers pivoting their skis before engaging them in a carve. On a dry slope due to the short length I imagine the courses are set very tightly too.

Dont I know I have set and been victim to some of the tightest last two gate you could imagine.!!!

Was more a comment on the techniques employed by some of the guys with the quickets times.

northy014, Buy yourself an Industrial Tub of KY Jelly!!!! Great as a substitute was Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Scot_Ski wrote:
northy014, have a look at
http://youtube.com/v/6QcRPmZZVz4&feature=fvsr

Slalom racing on the most extreme dryslope in the UK, Hillend Edinburgh. From the top it's called the wall , i.e you cant see the first pitch below you, its too steep. Lots of styles on show , worth looking from around 6:00 minutes , get an idea of all styles , at 8:25 is a great example of jumping gate to gate . you get an idea of speed from the crash at 7:05.
Some great skiers on show , including some current and past skiers who have represented GB at Children and Junior

From that vid it looks much harder to get any kind of edge hold to carve strongly on plastic
ski holidays
maybe the GS Race on the Sunday will show more carving , although not easy on a steep bumpy slope.

http://youtube.com/v/00NYEG0PiCY&feature=related
snow conditions
That vid makes it look pretty damn difficult!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 27-10-10 10:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
narc, Hillend is one of the ones where carving is really difficult - until it gets relatively flat near the bottom Toofy Grin Personally I always think the top is just a survival effort Smile
snow conditions
anyone who races on hillend must have b*lls of steel , yikes that GS look positively frightening... Skullie Skullie
snow report
northy014, Here is the video of this years All England Champs from Norfolk. Not too much "Hacking" going on. Looks like plenty of carving to me.
Mind you the matting at Norfolk is probably the best of any dry slope around. Great facilities there for one of the flattest counties. Home of TJ baldwin too.

http://www.britski.org/10allengvideo.htm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy