Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski help please!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering new skis this season (if I can find some cash!) but I'm really struggling with what to go for.

Current skis are Head C140, 156cm and I'm female. 5'7", average weight. 21 years' experience so will go down most things.

Basically I'm thinking of an all-mountain ski that can pretty much cope with everything - and above all has fantastic edge grip and turning ability.

They'd be mostly for on-piste, but I want them to be able to cope with unpisted moguls, afternoon churned-up snow, icy hard-pack - and some off-piste.

The skis I've seen which fit the bill so far are K2 Lotta Luvs and Volkl Kenjas (although I'm not sure I want twin-tips, do they make much difference?)

Any other suggestions? (by the way thanks for the feedback in the Burnin Luv thread)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
twins make a difference if you want to go backwards Toofy Grin , and you get a gorgeous plume of snow offpiste when you turn which looks really cool. If you are a bit stoppy stary on moguls than can be useful for manouevring. Fischer Koa 78s are smooth, although havent tried them on mega icy yet, but the are supposed to be decent - similar dimensions to the lotta luvs and have a light feel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks bitoffluff

There's just so much choice, it's a nightmare! If I'm going backwards, it's usually by accident.....

Somnething which gives me real confidence on the icy stuff would be awesome (yeah I know it's meant to be down to technique but meh)

I also don't even know what length to get! I'm assuming for twin-tips you need longer than usual?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Picadilly, I'll second the Fischer Koa 78s - after the Lotta Luv I went to the Fischer Cool Heat, which seems to have turned into the Koa 78 according to my local rep - I demod the Koa last season and couldn't tell the difference between the cool heat and the Koa. I ski the 160 with similar stats to yours weight and height wise (you've got more years but I've been averaging over 100 days a season).

Oh, and I ski them all over Squaw in all conditions - they are my teaching ski.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks skinanny, sounds like they have quite a narrow waist though?

I've found another possibility - Blizzard The Crush. Hard to find many reviews, any thoughts?

http://www.skinet.com/ski/node/112812

I know it's a real pain in the back bottom* having everyone asking about skis, but with so many to choose from I'd really appreciate the feedback from people in the know, and anyone who's demo'd 2010/2011 all-mountain skis...

I don't consider myself an expert by any means, if I had to pick an ability I'd say advanced.

* hehe at 'back bottom'

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 24-10-10 9:19; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Picadilly, waist on the Koa is 78 - as it was on the older Lotta Luvs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski Magazine's top picks in what you're looking for were:

Mixed Snow
1. Kastle FX94 (128-94-117)
2. K2 Lotta Luv (125-82-110)
3. Fischer Koa 84 (126-84-112)
4. Volkl Kenja (129-86-105)

HardSnow
1. Blizzard Viva 8.1 (123-81-108)
2. Nordica Conquer (126-84-112)
3. Volkl Tierra (129-78-99)
4. K2 Free Luv (120-76-104)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Mike Pow, I shall investigate those Cool

This is even harder work than buying a car!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

i Magazine's top picks in what you're looking for were:

Mixed Snow
1. Kastle FX94 (128-94-117)
2. K2 Lotta Luv (125-82-110)
3. Fischer Koa 84 (126-84-112)
4. Volkl Kenja (129-86-105)

HardSnow
1. Blizzard Viva 8.1 (123-81-108)
2. Nordica Conquer (126-84-112)
3. Volkl Tierra (129-78-99)
4. K2 Free Luv (120-76-104)

Those are quite wide skis, and significantly different than her current carvers (and much more suited to US West coast).
Picadilly, I would be getting something with a waist of 70-74 m''m. Don't go for the top model, rather the second from the top. Buy in the resort, ant try a few models before you buy (most places will discount 2 days' rental fees from the price)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Definitely try! I have tried the Lotta Luv and the Volkl Kendo (unisex version of the Kenja). I was so so about the Lotta Luv but loved the Kendo but plenty of other people love the K2 skis. I moved to the Karma which has similar dimensions to the Kendo from a carver and had no problems with the width and you sound a better skier than me so I would think you would be fine on a high 80s ski.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheerssugardaddy, but after having my carvers for nearly 6 years, I'd like to try something which is a bit more versatile. My skis aren't great off-piste, and I think I'd enjoy it more with skis which can float a bit.

I was originally thinking of K2 Burnin Luvs, but they're no good for powder.

I'm going to a French resort first (La Plagne) so would prices be higher than the UK?

Thanks lynseyf - I'm not *that* good! I don't/won't go down the really mad stuff lol

I've whittled down my list of favourites to:

Blizzard Viva 8.1
Volkl Tierra
Volk Kenja

The only way to know is to try them I guess.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy