Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski weight

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im looking at touring for the first time this season. I have done the hiking, day tour bit etc but not a circuit or 6 day plus tour.
Im thinking of remounting my Seths with a tour binding, tourers ( and others) say that weight should be kept to minimum and that dukes are too heavy etc etc for longer tours, and I am going to take that advice on.
Bearing in mind the cost implication of getting a tour specific set up, I need to get a bit more of a compromise and cant help thinking that I would be better served by losing 8 pounds of body weight rather than the couple of pounds of weight on my feet.
Its a bit like the fat shiny arsed city boy spending a fortune on the latest carbon fibre race bike because its so light and so less weight to drag up the hill when really hes two stone over weight and the 1lb saved on his bike wont make that much difference.
So just how much weight will be saved with the kit and is it really necessary ? (within reason)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The lighter the kit (and you!) the easier it will be on the way up! But I always have to ask what else your are compromising on.....I climb up the mountain for the scenery etc. but also for the ski down and the lightest kit isn't always going to give me the best ski down.....for me I'd rather get a little fitter (and perhaps lighter!) and have the best possible ski down but thats personal choice!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
losing 8lbs of lard won't do any harm... i should try that myself sometime Confused

for touring where you are doing more than a couple hours uphill, lighweight kit does make a difference, as do boots with a good walk mode. especially if (like me) you are a desk jockey of sub-optimal fitness. you can spend your whole life searching for the ultimate combination of downhill and uphill performance. you can make very big weight savings by using dynafit bindings versus dukes. also their walk mode is more natural. so if i was you, i'd get some dynafits (you can sometimes find a deal on them on ebay but bargains are difficult to find) and stick them on your seths. that does of course require you to get some touring boots but no-one said it was cheap!

my current combo is DPS Wailer 105s with dynafit speed bindings. featherweight and awesome ski performance. not a budget option though, sadly
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are there any touring bindings out there that are suitable for regular downhill skiing, with just the odd bit of occasional touring thrown in?

And can you use normal downhill boots with them?

We met a couple of lads at Cairngorm last year who only ever toured in normal ski boots - although I don't know what bindings they had.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can use either style of boot in:

Fritschi bindings:
http://www.fritschi.ch/index.php?setLang=2

Marker Tour bindings:
http://www.markerusa.com/bindings-tour-f12.php

BCA Alpine Trekker adapters:
http://www.backcountryaccess.com/index.php?id=53

I use Fritsch Freeride bindings and Flexon alpine boots for both applications.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy