Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do you have ski poles (Sticks) when you don't even know how to use them ?????

Poster: A snowHead
That "On the Piste" clips seems to find its way into so many threads on this forum but it tickles me pink every time I watch it.

1:38 is the funniest moment. Laughing Laughing

As for poles, I want to use them just because I think people look more 'professional' using them. No idea why I'd use them though.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-10-10 15:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

my ability to skate with my planks came on untold

absolutely. when you see instructors skating effortlessly uphill with a child holding each hand.... or one chap I saw from a lift, skating uphill with the biggest bundle of slalom poles you ever saw. Of course poles are important in many situations but they're more of a hindrance than help to many beginners who clutch them like security blankets. Leaving poles behind for a day cruising round the pistes is a v good idea, I reckon. Another of the benefits of giving people a day on blades. wink Very useful to be without poles if you are looking after little kids, or trying to take lots of video. I'm not very good with my poles but I'm not terrible - you do see a lot of people who'd be better off without them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

in ye olde days ski poles were called 'ski sticks' in this country

I've always had sticks myself - probably just shows how old I am. Poles were used to make gates - when did they become "control-gates"? When did trainers become coaches and when did skiers become riders or athletes?
Quote:

practicing the textbook back foot late cut while waiting for boarder mates to catch up

And for classical on-drives smacking Brett Lee back over his head!! Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

And for classical on-drives smacking Brett Lee back over his head!!

yes, but one has to unclip in order to get the front foot forward, more of a "post lunch waiting for the Mrs to get back from the loo" shot for me. Other shots that can be practiced whilst clipped in are the leg glance, pull, and backward defensive. But I digress.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

yes, but one has to unclip in order to get the front foot forward, more of a "post lunch waiting for the Mrs to get back from the loo" shot for me

Laughing Fair enough
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
roga, that was brilliant!!! I cried with laughter. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
err, I teach all beginner adults how to hold their poles, especially while using the chair-lift. I quite often ski without poles with kids, and I'm know for skiing one particular black run in view of ski school without poles, and getting the comment at the end "but I thought you had your poles, what did you do with them?" from one of my trainers! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use them because I fall over without them. I think it's the thin mountain air, others have commented on the thick chalet wine, but that's just harsh.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You don't need to use two poles, using one long one (called a lurk by Norwegian skiers) can be just as good wink

http://youtube.com/v/CUxS9B0IjUQ&feature=related
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink, Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink, that was gobsmacking - by the looks of it they were on old fashioned wooden skis and leather boots and doing the kind of stuff, including tricks, that modern freeriders do - telemarking never fails to amaze me!

Yeah, single pole too, looks like they were using it to balance and check speed?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great clip

Like this comment

" all modern tele gear is shameful overkill. any cave man can tele ski now. and btw modern AT gear is lighter and better than the overweight over priced gearbage you see out there today. that being said. anyone who truly knows how to ski (like these guys) could probably do so on a couple 6' #2 pine 1x4's from home depot plus their skate shoes and a couple sheetrock screws."
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roga, Made me laugh out loud! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink, What astonishing footage of the telemarkers. It looked like they were hammering along and really going for it.

Poles are an odd thing - I am conscious of not really using mine, except to assist in balance. I have been berated about pole planting and encouraged to do by many instructors, but the moment I start to think about introducing a pole plant my skiing goes to pot. Though I have started to think about introducing a flick and maybe a scant touch if I am on a easy to ski piste of some length where I can get a rhythm going, but to be honest although I can just about manage it I haven't yet found the point of doing so.

Mind you I like to hold them, I can ski without them as an exercise, but I'd rather ski with them. The telemarker footage with the single pole is interesting, as I find being left with just one pole the most awkward thing to deal with. I juggled and dropped one of mine at the foot of a poma one day and found myself at the top of a rather long run with a single pole and found I was most undecided about what to do with it. In the finish I opted to hold it horizontal out in front of me in both hands 'tea tray like' as I've seen kids do at ski school. It worked well and I think it was the best option.

I guess where I use them most is on a steep piste if I come to a halt for any reason where they are helpful just to help hold me still. I guess as I start to ski harder pistes maybe I will gradually discover what they are useful for.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You mean they don't serve the same purpose as outriggers? Puzzled
snow report
roga wrote:
The uses and abuses of poles:

http://youtube.com/v/85AHvpGTkdU

Toofy Grin

I love how Kevin is totally oblivious to the total carnage he has created behind him on the pully lift and his only concern is to get up the "hill" in the most unattractive style ever seen on national TV. He seems to use his right pole as a form of improvised ice pick.
snow conditions
^ Agreed, some people have suggested he's a plant and acting but I seriously don't believe anyone could be so inept whilst being so oblivious to everythig (including the chaos they're responsible for) around about them as he is. Just look at his expression when the chairlift catches him by surprise, totally vacant and totally inept, if he was acting he deserves an oscar for that alone!

It's actually knackering watching him in that sequence you mention, I've never seen anyone put so much effort into going absolutely nowhere - he is/was the Mr bean of the slopes!
latest report
To me, Kevin does look like he's acting. The only that does, the others seem natural Toofy Grin
snow report
cathy wrote:
To me, Kevin does look like he's acting. The only that does, the others seem natural Toofy Grin

Cathy, as Roga mentioned, look at his expression when the old, leg breaking chair lift catches him off guard. The look of fear in his eyes, the unchivalrous reaction of grabbing the poor woman next to him. And how he casually puts his arm behind her once he has settled down.

If he's an actor, his skills are well beyond a small, bit part in a BBC documentary.
ski holidays
Leeds_Skier, nah - I've got all the episodes and I still think he's a plant.
latest report
I'd love an On the Piste DVD to leave in the apartment.
ski holidays
Do you think this thread was just a very successfull troll ?(???) The id that posted it hasn't been back to enlighten the fly squatting masses.
latest report
Do you think he was a pole plant................?
snow report
cathy wrote:
Leeds_Skier, nah - I've got all the episodes and I still think he's a plant.

cathy, as far as I know there was only one episode ... are you a plant? Wink
snow report
Megamum, Laughing
snow report
roga, Laughing well I must admit I'd just watched the first 20 mins after not having watched it for years and there were episodes listed on the DVD - so I just typed episodes! Still think he's a plant tho.....

Hells Bells, I'll see if the OH can make a copy - beyond my capabilities wink
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
roga, Laughing well I must admit I'd just watched the first 20 mins after not having watched it for years and there were episodes listed on the DVD - so I just typed episodes! Still think he's a plant tho.....

Hells Bells, I'll see if the OH can make a copy - beyond my capabilities wink

Sounds like you've got a copy of the DVD that breaks the programme up into 12 chapters for ease of navigation. wink

P.S. I've already sent Hells Bells her copy. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy