Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do you have ski poles (Sticks) when you don't even know how to use them ?????

Poster: A snowHead
I see probably 90 % of all skiers holding poles when they don't know how to use them or even know what they are for.

I see people falling off lifts because they are faffing around trying to hold their poles in one hand.

I see people waving them around like light sabers.

I see people with their hands down by their side dragging the poles on the floor.

I get asked for those stick thingies.

Put them down. learn to ski without them and introduce them to your skiing when you need them and have been shown how to use them.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think instructors bang on about poles enough until you get a bit more experienced. My timing is still not right with them as, until I was told different, I assumed you shaped the turn around the pole rather than using the plant to initiate the transition.

No-one ever tells you how to put your hands through the straps properly either.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree, I used to be guilty of all of the above until I had one on one lessons, and found out what they were for. If people are just bumbling about its easier without the ski poles, but offer a security blanket, and no one ever offers the sensible advice above. Now back to the "to fat to ski" topic..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I see people falling off lifts because they are faffing around trying to hold their poles in one hand

prefer that to people trying to get a world cup start, poles in both hands, using poles to push themselves up, and placing them between my 2 skis and the 2 skis of the person on their other side.

Me? I just stay seated, wait for everyone to do whatever faffage they're gonna do, stand up relaxedly, *poles in one hand*, and swerve thru the chicane of carnage and boarders sorting out their untethered boot whilst stomping on a really really flat chairlift run-off.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find that if you spread your arms in a lift queue and plant them firmly it helps keep order!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Back in the old days they did teach you how to hold them correctly, when to plant etc.

Has this stopped?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why do I see so many skiers who really fancy themselves turning in a fairly leisurely fashion down a nice smooth piste doing what they clearly think are terribly smart things with their poles when, with modern skis carving on piste there is absolutely no need to do anything with poles at all?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Why do I see so many skiers who really fancy themselves turning in a fairly leisurely fashion down a nice smooth piste doing what they clearly think are terribly smart things with their poles when, with modern skis carving on piste there is absolutely no need to do anything with poles at all?

Pole plants can interrupt the flow of linked longer radius turns, but I would much rather see some sort of pole plant movement than no movement at all. A pole plant can aid timing, even if it's only a twitch of the hand and the tip of the pole comes nowhere near the snow. I encourage people I teach to make pole plants on every turn so it becomes an instinctive move rather than something that they have to concentrate on when a firm pole plant is necessary.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, I was told that I looked like I was trying to stab a Marmot with my poles a couple of weeks ago! Embarassed I wonder who that could have been Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Poles:
Short radius turns
Bumps
Powder
Steeps
Polling along flats
Lift lines
Drawing diagrams in the snow
Sword fights.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Linds, wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
We were told to practice pole planting on the piste, even on easy piste, so we get the pole planting ingrained and working nicely for when we really need it on more challenging terrain.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman, Laughing But you left off 'poking annoying instructors in the bum' Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Linds wrote:
rob@rar, I was told that I looked like I was trying to stab a Marmot with my poles a couple of weeks ago! Embarassed I wonder who that could have been Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I find that wildly flailing poles are useful for creating space on a crowded piste snowHead
ski holidays
Don't use them properly (at all) when skiing down a piste, but they are very useful and I wouldn't be without them for the rest of the time

1. Flat bits.
2. Standing still in slightly uphill busy lift queue.
3. Keeping my place in a busy lift queue.
4. Releasing the first ski from the binding when taking them off
5. Scratching snow off the bottom of my boot when it won't go in the binding
6. Fishing for the bit of kit that is just out of reach when I have fallen over (Admittedly usually the other pole!).
7. Putting my glove on when I have taken it off to take a photo.
snow report
I need poles to defend myself on the slopes. And also because they do cheap building work.
latest report
Quote:

And also because they do cheap building work

Laughing
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
Poles:
Short radius turns
Bumps
Powder
Steeps
Polling along flats
Lift lines
Sword fights.

+ dragging snowboarders over the flat bits wink
ski holidays
On dry people tend to start without poles and graduate onto them a few lessons in. That way they don't faff around with poles and/or trip over them when they first start and I've seen no problems caused by lack of poles in basic lessons. Once people are competent enough to make reasonably shaped turns and control speed from the top of the slope poles are introduced to them. As far I'm concerned part of introducing the poles, even on a dry slope where the clients poles have no straps, is to show them how to hold them, as in how to use a strap (I have them on my poles so can demonstrate) and also where to hold them (as in not hanging down at the side etc. not that in a single lesson you can necessarily change that).

I'm not sure why we introduce them straight away on snow, perhaps because it's so much more slippy than dry and the poles can be used to steady the skier or something similar, but they invariably pitch up with poles in hand and I just let them hold onto them initially. However I usually conspire to remove the poles from them once the lesson has reached the turning stage I(sometimes before if the poles are causing problems), that way I can use the poles as gates or markers for them to turn round or turn near to and this seems to work fine and provides a good excuse for not using the poles for a while. Frankly I've never been in the situation where anyone has complained about the poles being taken away and used in this way and they get them back later on anyway.

One major thing I do mention straight baway on snow is safety when it comes to use of poles, many people when they first start seem to view them as another tool in the emergency stop arsenal, as in stick 'em out in front and into the snow and you'll slow down. What invariably happens in those circumstances is the pole goes into the ground and stops abruptly leaving the handle to whack into either the stomach or the ribs potentially causing injury - not nice!

BTW, completely pointless rambling but in ye olde days ski poles were called 'ski sticks' in this country, if you look at any book older than around 20 years you'll see them described in this way, and they still are referred to as 'sticks' in Scotland but not these days in England as far as I can see. Teaching on Scotland as well as England I'm multi-lingual so call them both but anyone know why the term changed and to boot only changed in England? Sorry but it always puzzles me that one ... feel free to tell me to get a life Wink
ski holidays
How about - your poles are too long as well?

Unless you are a park monkey with a couple of cocktail stick poles most people I see could easily drop a pole size and probably find them easier to use. I think I've dropped 5cm since using adjustable poles.
snow report
jonm wrote:
Quote:

Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing TDC
snow report
Wayne wrote:
Spyderman wrote:
Poles:
Short radius turns
Bumps
Powder
Steeps
Polling along flats
Lift lines
Sword fights.

+ tripping snowboarders over on the flat bits wink
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
jonm wrote:
Quote:

Laughing
+1. Very good.
snow report
Quote:

Poles:
Short radius turns
Bumps
Powder
Steeps
Polling along flats
Lift lines
Sword fights.

+ dragging snowboarders over the flat bits

+ practicing the textbook back foot late cut while waiting for boarder mates to catch up
snow report
I have poles so i can do a stupid crouch with my bum in the air and my poles stuck under my armpits pointing rearwards and upwards.

This is for a number of reasons

It makes me think i am Bode Miller
It makes me think i look like Bode Miller
It makes me think i am going faster
It makes me look like a tw@t rolling eyes
snow conditions
Timbobaggins, thanks, I've never been able to work out why people do this, so it's useful to know that the reason is to look like Bode Miller. Very Happy
latest report
The uses and abuses of poles:

http://youtube.com/v/85AHvpGTkdU

Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, thank you. I've had a shitty day so far and that has made me feel MUCH better, even though it made me cry. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
roga, love that film, the bit when the chairlift smacks them is priceless Very Happy
latest report
Hurtle, happy to bring a smile to your day and a tear to your eye Toofy Grin
snow report
roga,
I'm sure that guy in the red suit has been in my class - LOADS of times Laughing
ski holidays
Wayne, funny that I thought I recognised him too ... rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
I think I'm a very old school skier. Very Happy

We were taught pole plants and ankles together at all times. Old habits die hard.
latest report
LOL! I had a right belly laugh at work watching that video clip! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
The guy in the red......just as he's off the drag lift - absolutely priceless Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Laughing !

Good laugh at work with that vid!
latest report
Laughing i had never seen On the Piste before - that drag lift is the nursery slope where i did my first skiing on snow (not counting a field in North Yorkshire..)

good times!
ski holidays
I certainly find you cant get the same consistent performance without poles. For example if you were in a set a stubby gates for SL/GS without poles its not that easy, especially in slalom, you may make some good turns but as soon as timing or balance is gone it far harder to regain without that touch on the snow.

So in slalom for example, a high quality high pressure very short radius carved (slightly smudged sometimes) turn you may not even realise that you are using your ski poles until you take them away. When they are taken away is when you realise how much harder skiing can be without the point of contact. i used to think I didnt use them in SL much at all, as soon as I went into stubbies with then without poles the difference is huge!
ski holidays
I lent my sticks to my oldest a couple of days last winter & my ability to skate with my planks came on untold. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy