Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inspiring ski books

Poster: A snowHead
So, what ski books have you found really useful ? Any ?

Came across this last year http://www.breakthroughonskis.com/Pages/_books/soft_skiing_book.html and as I am getting on a bit I thought it might be interesting. Well worth it - at last, when I tried what he suggested, I could see what everyone was going on about over these new fangled (!) carving skis. May also be useful to those still under pension age !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ron Lemaster's book, especially the 2nd edition.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Mountain Memories", by Mick Hull. Out of print and only found in 2nd-hand book shops. Mick writes about skiing in Australia from 1930s, and thence at Zurs. Some fantastic photos.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
deerman wrote:
May also be useful to those still under pension age !

What makes you think you have to give up skiing as soon as you get a bus pass Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lechbob, I think he was implying that some younger people might feel they didn't need to be introduced to carving since they learned that way. Nothing to do with giving up skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, got it, jumped in with both feet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got www.thebookofcandide.com not exactly a read just some great pics taken over the last few years of the greatest skier on the planet
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't/can't learn much by reading books (visual and kinesthetic learner) so my inspiring books tend to be of a different nature to the ones above but they inspire me to ski more, explore more and push myself, here's some I've recently enjoyed:

Alpine Circus: A Skier's Exotic Adventures at the Snowy Edge of the World by Michael Finkel
Unfinished Business: The Authorised Biography of Alain Baxter by Andrew Ross
Hermann Maier: The Race of My Life by Hermann Maier
Also recently picked this up really cheap (more a coffee table book but some great photos); Top Ski Resorts of the World by Arnie Wilson
And out of curiosity also found a reasonably cheap copy of this old perennial; Inner Skiing by Gallwey and Kriegel, I'm not sure I'll get much that out of it but I'm curious to have a read and see what some people rave on about, and others categorically dismiss as nonsense!

I also regularly dip into V A Fisoff's The Cairngorms on Foot and Ski [1949] and On Ski in the Cairngorms [Feb 1965], both now out of print but fascinating reads, the first one in particular is great if you have any interest in the pioneering days of Scottish skiing and both give unique insights into a very special range of mountains.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lechbob, The book I referred to is titled: Soft Skiing - The Secrets of Effortless, Low-impact Skiing for Older Skiers. I was merely suggesting that the principles might also be useful to younger skiers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
roga, Got hold of a copy of Inner Skiing - an interesting read and I can see why you would either love it or hate it. Found some bits were potentially useful - the rest I'm a bit agnostic about. I've no doubt though that once your technique is OK, it's all in the mind from there on ! Despite skiing in Scotland for many years I still find ice can be a bit unsettling - initial reaction is to stiffen up until unconscious thought takes over, legs relax, and the skis bite again instead of skidding.

rob@rar, That's a real heavyweight ! I thought I understood physics, but I didn't half labour through the first chapters ! Some more interesting stuff later on.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is worth a read, and a free download

http://www.edgechange.com/shop/ebook/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was going to post on this very subject. "Wild Snow" by Louis W. Dawson is a fantastic read and cheap on Amazon. It's a basically a guidebook to some of the classic North American descents but the pre-amble is pretty cool with a good (and concise) history of skiing and mountaineering. The book is of the same name of Lou's brilliant blog.

I've also been given Glacier Mountaineering: An Illustrated Guide to Glacier Travel and Crevasse Rescue. It's in the same series as Allen and Mike's Really Cool Telemark Tips, which if you want to learn or improve your tele skills is invaluable. Which leads to Allen and Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book.

All of those books seem to be really cheap on Amazon.co.uk so get in there...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roga, I got The Hermanators book as a present.....his graphic description of THAT accident is wincely real, I could feel everything he described, although I can't help wonder how sportsman as important as him was let ride a high powered motorbike like that.

Imagine Wayne Rooney riding some auld screaming bike like that???

...actually hold on.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mt Blanc & the Aiguilles Rouges a Guide for Skiers by Anselme Baud. Makes me crap my pants and think lets do that in equal measures.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I can't help wonder how sportsman as important as him was let ride a high powered motorbike like that.

Puzzled if you're the big bad world champion, I guess you get to decide that sort of stuff for yourself!
latest report
Swirly wrote:
Mt Blanc & the Aiguilles Rouges a Guide for Skiers by Anselme Baud. Makes me crap my pants and think lets do that in equal measures.

love that book - you can almost use it as a history of extreme skiing in the Mt Blanc area as much as a guidebook
snow conditions
Sondre Norheim - The father of Modern Skiing by Anne-Gry Blikom and Eivind Molde ISBN 0-942323-35-1.

Probably the most important person in the history of recreational skiing. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Skiing Around the World by Jimmy Petterson

400 page hardback, really well written, with some great photos.
I cant put it down. The ultimate ski bum bible
Sadly out of print and took me couple of months to find a copy (from a second hand book shop on the web).
Was really lucky to get it at RRP.

They are now going for circa £90 on amazon / ebay though...
So you might have to search to find one at a decent price.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
Swirly wrote:

love that book - you can almost use it as a history of extreme skiing in the Mt Blanc area as much as a guidebook

ditto ... (awe) inspiring
snow conditions
Mountain Skiing by Vic Bein was the "bible" by which I taught myself to Telemark. I think it was one of the first book written on the subject. We all aspired to things like "The cross over telemark" and "the reverse telemark"! It even had a whole chapter and falling!!!
snow report
Quote:

Skiing Around the World by Jimmy Petterson

I can also highly recommend this book if you can get your hands on a copy. A true adventure skiing book with cool photos and great experiences written up in an easy to read format.
ski holidays
deerman wrote:
So, what ski books have you found really useful ? Any ?

Came across this last year http://www.breakthroughonskis.com/Pages/_books/soft_skiing_book.html and as I am getting on a bit I thought it might be interesting. Well worth it - at last, when I tried what he suggested, I could see what everyone was going on about over these new fangled (!) carving skis. May also be useful to those still under pension age !

Truly the best piece of ski instruvtion I have ever seen, I grew up on skis like many of you, and still learnt more from these lessons that any other instructor.. THe DVD set is Superb, (once you get past the Purple jumpsuit.)

Nixmap..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy