Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should Fat people Ski ??????

Poster: A snowHead
Boredsurfing wrote:
I was skinny then I got old(er) Laughing
When are you actually going to start skiing though? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I'm fat and I ski ! Not too good not too bad. I'll fall over and I can get myself up again. Best of all I don't care what anyone else thinks!!! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After that Christmas dinner I think I am now obese.

Merry Christmas everyone,

Cheers
Smag
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
25 years ago, I was always the type of advanced intermediate standard 'Jack - the - Lad' skier that vied with the rest to be hard on the heels of the T.O. Ski Guide who was giving us the Grand Tour around the Pistes.

Fast forward to now and 50lbs fatter, i still enjoy my skiing albeit within the limits that my age and Fatness/Lack of Fitness dictate. I know i would be able to ski better if i were slimmer but for my one week ski holiday per year,I am content to do what i can do.

Just glad i'm not learning to ski for the first time at my age now. (Shudders at the thought) Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We all need a certain amount of fat to keep the cold out. If you had no fat you would very probably develop hypothermia in most good skiing conditions!

So what level of fat is acceptable for skiing?

I suspect when you have so much fat that you find it difficult to pick yourself up off the snow when you fall down, that might start to be "too fat to ski".

Also if there are any restrictions on fitting into aircraft seats or weight restrictions on lifts and drag pulls.

However, that also exlcudes a lot of very tall people who would probably find it difficult fitting in some of the smaller chair lifts (I'm thinking of one man chair lifts for example). They may also find that weight restrictions are a problem.

People who have a lot of muscle mass, are usually heavier than people who have the same body mass but mostly fat. Is it fat or weight that is the restricting issue here?

There are limits. and I suspect if you are so fat that getting up off the snow after a fall requires assistance, you would probably not choose to go skiing until you were able to get off the floor on your own.

I think age is a limiting factor as well, if you are not flexible. However, there are plenty of people who manage to avoid the osteoporosis and other ageing diseases which restrict mobility in their latter years.

Flexibility is perhaps a more important criteria, than fatness or fitness. You really need to be quite supple sometimes, rather than needing extreme endurance or fitness.

rolling eyes

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 14-11-11 14:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

We all need a certain amount of fat to keep the cold out.

Mr L lost a load of weight a couple of years ago and suddenly started having to wear thermals when he never had before. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bigtipper wrote:

I suspect when you have so much fat that you find it difficult to pick yourself up off the snow when you fall down, that might start to be "too fat to ski".

Some people need to unclip from their skis to get up again on gentle gradient slopes due to athritic Knee problems whether they are fat or not.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cc_7up, indeed we do
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just a thought,

Should more 'Lay by's' be created on busy pistes so that slope users/Groups can get right off the 'Highways' and out of the way for whatever reason and not present themselves as potential hazards to the rest?

Nothing worse than coming a cropper because you have 'nowhere to go' to avoid a collision.

Just like driving on a busy highway.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cc_7up, it's a nightmare when you come up behind a skier towing a caravan isn't it Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cc_7up, never had that problem, have always been able to find somewhere safe to be off the main piste if I need to stop to admire the view or wait for friends, but maybe that's because the resort I go to has plenty of places to do that or just because I know the area well and know where it's safe to wait.

In general there will (save on the steepest slopes) usually be somewhere on the uphill side of the piste that one can ski off and wait safely
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A lot of the slopes at 'Bansko' are like being on the M25 at times. Wall to Wall.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you had no fat at all you would most probably have some kind of eating disorder! You would also likely suffer from inadequate calcium in your diet, which may make bones age faster than in people who eat a balanced diet. Brittle bones is not something you want to develop if you like skiing. (or at all really)

When I was living in the back of a van, and sleeping in overnight temperatures of -15 to -20 degrees celcius, I was more than happy to have a little bit more than a spare tyre around my waist. Of course I could put the heating on, boil up another hot water bottle, but at those kind of temperatures all you do is increase the inside van temperature to close to zero. So you need a few heavy tog downies and several hot water bottles.

Now that I am 4-5 stone lighter, I notice the cold more. Also I am slightly older, and so muscles and ligaments are less supple. I need to stretch more now, and keep warmer. Perhaps all I need is a better heated and insulated van?

The solution to overcrowded pistes is just to avoid skiing in busy periods. I'm not sure that lay-bys and minimum speeds would help. Ski during lunchtime, it is by far the best time to be skiing when everyone else is in the coffee shop. The slopes are empty, the sun is shining, and the lift queues are short. Have your lunch when the main lunch period is over.

rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Super Eagle wrote:
OMG have I got this for the next 3hrs at leads them to fall on Damacleases ( spelt that wrong ) sword.

[pedantry] The Greek Damocles had the sword suspended over his head by a single horse-hair. Not very suitable for falling on (which I think was more of a Roman way to kill yourself anyway). [/pedantry]
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice zombie thread bump!

Oh, and you need a big hammer to drive a big nail, word

Toofy Grin
snow report
my uncle is big and he s very good in skiing so everything's possible! lol
i m in europe and it ll begin to snow next week!!!
it ll be the beginning of the season!
bytheway if you're in Paris you can comand here some french red wine!
but be careful cause with skiing it's dangerous!!
see u and good ski
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy