Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Etape du Tour

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone done this? http://www.letapedutour.com/EDT1/2011/ETDT/presentation/fr/parcours.htm

I loved following the the Tour de France this year and the idea of doing a stage is pretty exciting. Those climbs do look pretty savage though! I'd be fit after the ski season and did a race round Lac Leman (180km) last year in 5 1/2 hours but it was flat.

How much additional training would someone with decent base fitness need to do to get in shape to do this?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ì've done it a few years ago and I know loads of others that have. I was in the area for last years event on MtVentoux and there were some sorry sights on the last climb.

The fittness isn't directly transferable from skiing and you'll have to put the miles in to get through. In order to enjoy it you'll probably need to be doing 200+mile weeks and comfortble riding 100 mile days. You might also find it hard coping with a bunch of 7000+ riders if you're not used to riding in close company. The other problem can be in actually entering; It books up quick and it's difficult to enter without going via one of the organised trips if you're UK based.

It's tough... but it's also brilliant! So go for it.

adrian
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BobinCH, I climbed Alp D'huez last year and did the Galibier this year. Neither of these climbs are difficult from a steepness point of view, but they don't half go on! ADH is 14KM of climbing - I did it in 1h45m, Marco Pantani took 43m Laughing

If you have a decent base level of fitness you will be able to do it (FWIW I'm 42 and 15st so hardly Mr fit) - I would try and do as much climbing as possible to get used to the climbs.

Certainly from top of Galibier to Bourg is pretty much all down hill so you would have chance to recover!

It can also get very cold - I climbed Galibier in August and it was 2c and snowing at the top!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I entered for the etape in 2008 but pulled out because of injury. However the other three went and thoroughly enjoyed it. Miles in the saddle and climbing was the order of the day, and the next and the next and so on. It is definitely sport specific training that is needed.
It gets fully booked early on but there are companies who get places and sort it all out. (sports tours international if Im allowed to put that on here)
Dont not do it. If it does it for you , go for it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plenty of info on Bike Radar
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH, if you averaged 32 kmh for the ride round Lac Leman you should be fine if you can get into the same sape. Go climb some of the passes round your way in the Valais to get used to cyclng uphill for an hour or so though but it sounds like the fitness is there.

I'd also say that while the etape is a real occassion I think there are better rides out there with fewer crowds, lower cost and better routes. That said doing the route of the tour on closed roads is pretty damned cool and worth doing once.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did a bit of MTB'ing in Verbier in September, the day before an etape from Aigle to Verbier.

Cycling down the mountain, using the bubble lift to go up, was a lot easier and (for me) more fun than those poor souls who were struggling up the mountain, but to be fair I can't say what I did was particularly great exercise - I don't think I peddled uphill more than 2 miles out of the 50 I did that day!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitters, don't knock it until you try it! The endoprhins you get going uphill are pretty awesome - even better if you're sloly picking off other riders along the way. And going downhill on a road bike on smooth, twisty roads is buzz too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

And going downhill on a road bike on smooth, twisty roads is buzz too.

oh yesss - Discovered that this year ourselves.
BobinCH, would +1 what bar shaker, says. Plenty of info there. Like Boris, we tootled over some of the climbs round Serre Che - did bits of Izoard, Galibier etc. Am not superfit or fast, but got up comfortably in the granny ring. However, for something as long as the Etap would be thinking of seriously getting miles in, and considering eating/drinking strategy.

It will be fab. We have started thinking about doing the Luc Alphand... but thinking is not doing rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Biggest problem at the Etape is the speed at the start. It's very difficult not to get carried away and with that course it's down hill to the Telegraphe. Then it'll be a log jam and you may be reduced to walking. In the past good riders have missed the time cut-off at the first check point because of conjestion on the first hill... so youhave to go for it at the start and that willcome back to haunt youon the Alp'

adrian
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thebongolian, don't get me wrong, I'd love to try it sometime, being a huge fan of the Tour on TV and in the flesh for the last 25 years or so - the admiration I have for those that can do it are huge, but I'm not sure I'd have the stamina to even think about trying it.

I've only got an MTB at the moment, but I have been thinking about getting a road bike for a while, but don't want to spend too much in case I don't enjoy it....but don't want to spend too little in case I love it and wish I'd bought a better bike! Maybe I'll try and get a good second hand bike from somewhere instead.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitters,
Quote:
been thinking about getting a road bike for a while, but don't want to spend too much in case I don't enjoy it....but don't want to spend too little in case I love it and wish I'd bought a better bike!

Take the latter option and pay as much (or slightly more Toofy Grin ) that you can afford - you definately _WILL_ enjoy it - even going up hills becomes a pleasure
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitters, I've only got an MTB at the moment, but I have been thinking about getting a road bike for a while, but don't want to spend too much in case I don't enjoy it....but don't want to spend too little in case I love it and wish I'd bought a better bike! Maybe I'll try and get a good second hand bike from somewhere instead.

I have both an MTB and Road Bike, The road bike gets far more use as it is more enjoyable to ride and as said before even going uphill becomes a pleasure. Only started riding a bike again about eight years ago to maintain some sort of fitness for the skiing and boarding but it has become another obsession. The Etape does look doable this year as it is only just over 100k for the stage but is very expensive compared to The Marmotte that uses the same route.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the info and the links! Think I'm gonna give it a go.

On the subject of bikes I've got a pretty basic road bike. This one froma couple of years ago http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/merida-road-901-18-road-bike.html

I'm very happy with it but have no point of comparison. Is it worth looking at a better bike for long rides like this? And if so what to look for?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I've only got an MTB at the moment, but I have been thinking about getting a road bike for a while, but don't want to spend too much in case I don't enjoy it....but don't want to spend too little in case I love it and wish I'd bought a better bike!

Exactly the same reason I was in a bike shop today, trying to decide on what to buy, and what limit to put on the spending.
snow conditions
Well, there were yuppies, dinkies, lombards etc - it now looks like we (well some of us Twisted Evil ) are being classified as MAMILs http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10965608
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Thanks for the info and the links! Think I'm gonna give it a go.

On the subject of bikes I've got a pretty basic road bike. This one froma couple of years ago http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/merida-road-901-18-road-bike.html

I'm very happy with it but have no point of comparison. Is it worth looking at a better bike for long rides like this? And if so what to look for?

Good on yer. I'd say the most important thing is for the bike to be comfortable. You're going to be spending 5 hours or so on it and a lot longer in training than that. If you're current frame fits well and doesn't cause aches or pains stick with it unless you just want something shiny and new for its own sake.

More important will be making sure you have the right range of gears. After that decent tyres and wheels - in that order - will make the biggest difference.
snow report
BobinCH, a mate and I are considering it. Your bike looks OK, what gear sizes does it have? As long as the chainset is compact you should be OK. You'd want to do some specific cycle training as it uses slightly different muscles but aerobic fitness from ski touring definitely helps.

Mind I've just pussied out of the tour of the peak which is 97 miles with 3500m of climbing in it.
ski holidays
I cycled the Alpe D'Huez climb this last summer, the climb is steep and relentless but achievable by anyone with a decent level of fitness and the right sort of bike. However coupling this onto the end of a 90km ride with another climb in it will need some special training! There are plenty of training plans to aid your fitness and I found that turbo trainers worked well as there isnt really much in the UK which can compare to the length and steepness of the alpine climbs.

I feel really envious of you who are entering, I loved Alpe D'Huez in the summer it is like biking heaven.

Cheers,
Peter
snow conditions
Quote:

as there isnt really much in the UK which can compare to the length and steepness of the alpine climbs.

length no, steepness: most UK climbs worthy of the name are much steeper than anything you'll find in the tour. But that's by-the-by as the OP lives in Switzerland anyway.
snow conditions
First 5 corners on ADH are the worst - up to Le Garde - the middle bit is then surprisingly ok.

At least with all 21 bends marked you know where you are and how far to go. The annoying thing I found is the TdF finish is a few KMs further on than the actual top of climb Shocked
snow report
http://road.cc/node/25924?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2010-10-22
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy