Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss snow

Poster: A snowHead
SUNDAY 05 DECEMBER 2010

Leysin

Cloudy, grey, on and off light flurries, and the occasional bout of flat light.

Thank goodness for trees.

Suncrust on the southern aspects, but plenty of untracked shin to knee deep pow in sheltered faces and in the trees.

Great resort. Right up my street.

Was snowing when we left at 4. May return tomorrow if the forecasted rain stays away.
latest report
 brian
brian
ssnowman, the Anniviers seems to have come out of this week's snow/rain pretty well. Net gain of about 20cm in the village, 35cm up the mountain. Total depth now over a metre at the weather station near the top of the snowpark. Good base for early December. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems all the rain at village level in the Zermatt forecast did not show Smile . Now a sharp drop in tempreture as elsewhere in Europe into next week.
Brians chart in the weather outlook thread shows the probability of snow, not shown (yet) by Snow-forecast. Lets hope it does soon and we can look to a further base build up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eastern Switzerland has had some great snow. Knee deep dry pow at flumserberg on Friday. Looks like the coming week will be another East/SW split, with East getting snow and the south getting sun. Think this might be reflected across the whole of the Alps with a generalish East\West split
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Diablerets (Bernese Alps), 15/12/2010

Not good. Very thin coverage. 0 - 15cm average piste coverage.

More snow desperately needed.

Building up above 2250m
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
15/12/2010: No shortage of the white stuff at Mürren, although runs to Gimmelwald and Lauterbrunnen are closed, presumably to preserve the snow for the Christmas period.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow on its way tonight and tomorrow coming down from the North (currently moving down through the uk as mostly rain). Swiss Meteo have weather warnings out, with snow expected even over 'lowland' areas.

http://www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/en/danger/danger.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been absolutely dumping it down all night here at Lake Geneva level - started at about 8pm last night and is still going now (7am) with no sign of it stopping. Western Switzerland & Northern French Alps have been missing out these last two weeks.

Many of the resorts open this weekend, so this has come at the perfect time for them. However it's so heavy this may of course affect Geneva Airport quite badly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stopped snowing at Lake level at lunch-time after a morning top up to the nights dump.

Only the cable car & the Crosets 8 man chair up towards the cable car open in Champery, hoping for more tomorrow.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 17-12-10 15:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just returned from three days in Flumserberg, epic conditions although not all of the lifts were open this was due to lack of visitors rather than snow conditions. Its white down to the valley floor and I skied powder all day every day. Sorry Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zermatt been a white out all day and still snowing. Couple of inches in resort so more up the mountain! Tomorrow should be good.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les Diablerets, 17/12/2010

Excellent. Quality powder on hard crunchy base. 20-30cm average piste coverage.

Only 2 lifts open today, but Meilleret & Isenau fully open tomorrow (18/12/2010)

Avalanche Grade 3

Spent the afternoon playing in the powder Cool

Local ski instructors being instructed how to ski disabled ski-chair things - very entertaining Laughing

ps

Been snowing for 12hrs now, still falling Razz
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My multicoloured mates from Zermatt last weekend...

Classic Chez Vrony - Cigar, Weissbier, Matterhorn...

Cold but sunny

Pistes hard but good cover. Off piste was very crusty... Millsy posing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Diablerets, 18/12/2010

Retaud, above the Col du Pillon, 1635m

Looking towards the Tete aux Chamois and Sex Rouge (middle and top station of the Glacier 3000 cable car)

Lifts now open and full of sheep Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
great conditions at Flumserberg. Cold but dry light powder off piste, and great 'bouncey' pistes with oddles of grip
latest report

Perfect conditions.
No queues.... almost had the place to ourselves.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
where is that?

looks like its going to be a warm week ahead, freezing point well above 2000m
snow conditions
Les Diablerets, 20/12/2010

Warm weather and over-jealous piste bully drivers have ruined conditions here.

The piste bullies have scraped most the snow of the pistes, churning up rocks and mud.

Off piste powder has now been turned to heavy 'sugar' snow - Sad

Conditions will be the same in Leysin/Villars sur Ollon/Gstaad/Les Mosses/Saanen
snow report
Toggenberg today, warm warm warm, very heavy snow off piste and really shiney slow on piste with mud coming through at the base.

8c out front at present and looks like going to be warm all over the country for a few days.
ski holidays
Les Diablerets, 24/12/2010

OK-ish. Wet snow snow turning to dryer powder. 10-20cm on wet sugarly/icey base conditions.
-4/5 and dropping.

Still only limited lifts open.

Avalanche Grade 2 (probably increasing to 3)

Been snowing all day, and some more due tomorrow.
ski holidays
Need to go high. There's a been a lot of snow in the last 24 hours and more falling but the rain last has done damage low down.
snow report
Les Diablerets / Les Mosses, 02/01/2011

Thin & icey. Rocks, mud and grass coming through on steeper runs. Better coverage on shallow angle blue/green terrain.

No new snow forecast Sad

Les Mosses in much better condition than Les Diablerets (due to shallow slope angles)

Les mosses, 31/12/2010
ski holidays
Cheers Snow Muncher. on a selfish note, any reports direct from Zermatt would be welcome, as I only have32 sleeps to go till being there! Very Happy
snow conditions
PLenty of precipitation predicted the next few days, but if its going to be snow or rain will depend on height. Freezing point over 2000m for much of the country except far south. Weekend looks like being fairly warm with mid teens in the low areas!
snow report
Sounds good. Maybe now will be better to try.

Anyone been to Zinal/Grimentz recently that can give an update.

Thanks
ski holidays
Shoving the thread up the list for purely selfish reasons as I only have 17 sleeps to go to Zermatt Very Happy However generally feel that an entire winter sports country is still good value for a thread. Any first hand reports of recent/current conditions, (particularly Zermatt Toofy Grin ) would be welcome.
Cheers
ski holidays
twoodwar, was there last week, conditions were good, but definately need a top up. I hope you've remorgaged.......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
been saving up, and credit card is at the ready. At least the £ v CHF has been moving in the right direction recently. Cheers David
snow conditions
returned from Zermatt on Sunday night.

it was very warm on Sunday (+4 at 3000m; and 10C+ at resort level; maybe -2 or so on Saturday night). off-piste around mid-mountain is a bit "sugarry", some bare/rocky patches developing. though not terrible, conditions on piste could be better too. Quite a lot of icy spots developing, and a few bare spots/slushy on the lower runs to resort level.

it needs a top-up, and soon.

Sorry if this is bad news.

Still had a great time though. A couple of decent spots for dinner are Spycher restaurant and Cervio restaurant (dinner in the region of CHF80 + drinks would be extra; steak at around CHF49-52 at each). Cervo is fairly new and has great views over the resort and mountains. you need to get the lifts (elevator, not ski lift) at the Sunegga lift station. after 7.30 you need a code - get this from the restaurant when you make a booking. otherwise, you can walk up but this is about 20/25 mins' walk up from normal resort level.
latest report
Cheers Sooperslyder. Your report is much what I expected. At least its cold enough for snow making now. I'm hoping on snow late next week, early the week after. Going to the Weather outlook thread now to see if nosa and Brian have any good news.
latest report
Humma Humma Humma Ha, Humma Humma Humma Ha, Humma Humma Humma Ha, Humma Humma Humma Ha, Humma Humma Humma Ha, Humma Humma Humma Ha, Humma Humma Humma Ha, Humma Humma Humma Ha, Humma Humma Humma Ha.
Following my snow dance and chant (I'm not going to video this),Now making a sacrifice of Embarrassment to the snow gods. Hope it works Embarassed
ski holidays
some of the deepest snow we have skiied in a very long time !!

latest report
Mrs M deep in it

snow report
nixmap, yep that looks pretty damn fine. Lucky you to be right in the eye of that last storm. Alas nothing in Valais Sad
ski holidays
Well this place is peculiar in that respect, we seen to get the storms form all angles.
Unfortunately we get the Foehn in spades too so not good for a 7 day gamble.
ski holidays
Any reason for using such a general thread? Is there a a thread entitled 'French snow'? It's easier to look through reports from specific areas (eg 3V, L'Espace Killy, Jungfrau) or resorts (eg Verbier, St Anton) rather than going through those for a whole country.
snow conditions
Weather outlook thread, (for the whole world!), is the best and most popular weather thread, -quite rightly because of the knowledgeable input. Swiss snow narrows it down a bit, and gets a bit of input. If I started a Zermatt weather thread, - as thats where I'm off this year, then I would be vey interested, but there would be relatively few other takers. Adjacencies of resorts is also a bit of a guide.
ski holidays
twoodwar, the weather outlook thread is an entertaining read for some - but the snow reports are best when they are just that - actual reports of what the snow has actually been doing at specific places. IMV, of course.
snow report
achilles, and from my view too wink
In fact, without going through previous posts I couldn't tell you where nixmap, has "Some of the deepest snow we have skied in a very long time !" I took a couple of mins to look through to the top of this page, but nope - nothing to say where and having to go through every thread, although I live in this zone, I still don't have the time to search everything out Sad So sorry all you people who read the snowMail - you'll have to be in the dark about where the deepest snow is too...

or is that the point?!!

Oh - and it's not just this thread, so please don't feel that you're all being got at! Keep up the great work!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy