Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valtournenche - near Cervinia Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been there. 6 of us are considering spending 4 nights 11th to 15th March in Le Petit Nid B&B in the centre of Valtournenche the village 9km below Cervinia. It is way cheaper to stay here than in Cervinia itself it seems. We will be hiring a car/s from Milan airport so can drive up to Cervinia if necessary.
The ski/lifts in the village supposedly link into the Cervinia/Zermatt area. Is it a good way into the Cervinia ski area from the village. Can you ski back into the village of Valtounenche at the end of the day. Are there many restaurants in the village without having to drive up to Cervinia.
All advice gratefully received.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ever looked at the piste map? That's why it's cheap.

http://www.ski-zermatt.com/features/cervinia_ski_map.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could say the same about Tignes Breviere, Vallorcine, Chappelle D'Abondance or similar just down the valley resorts but they are often a better way into a ski area because they are less busy and parking is easier.

We will have our own transport so can get into Cervinia, but not having been to either before I was just wondering IF you can ski out and especially home to the village.

Incidently we're talking 25 euros B&B per night as apposed to 75 to 100 Euros in Cervinia itself.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Valtournenche has some of the most interesting skiiing in the area, lots of nice wide open rolling runs and is very quiet even in busy times of the season. Link into Cervinia is by long t bar which can be bitterly cold when its windy. Run back to the village has snow making but could be slushy down the bottom by the time you propose visiting. Not much night life in the village but a few pleasant restaurants and bars.
There is a bus service running between Valtournenche and Cervinia but not hugely frequent.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
milestaylor, I haven't been to Cervinia for a long time, but have been 3 times in the exact week you are contemplating - on 2 occasions the run back from Cervinia has been closed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
milestaylor, I haven't been to Cervinia for a long time, but have been 3 times in the exact week you are contemplating - on 2 occasions the run back from Cervinia has been closed

I visited from Zermatt this year, not a huge place, and looked a bit scruffy (compared to Zermatt). If the village run is closed, you can download on the gondola.

Some lovely quiet skiing above Valtournenche, new chairlifts in this sector. South-facing, so could suffer in the springtime sunshine.

You can easily get over to Cervinia bowl (if you don't mind the long draglift) and over to Trockener Steg in Zermatt (if you don't mind flat the glacier piste). The run back from the Klein Matterhorn to Valtournenche is one of the great runs of the Alps, over 2300m vertical!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
milestaylor, why vallorcine? Just being awkward.

For that price difference, looks like a good idea to me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I rather think Valtournenche is alright since you will have a car.

I actually stay in St Vincent, which is 19 miles from Breuil Cervinia, when I ski Cervinia and the road was nearly deserted. I could get parking spaces just about at any lift station in Cervinia.

The last time I skied there was the last week in March and the run from Cervinia to Valtournenche was broken for lack of snow, otherwise it would have made one of the longest vertical drops for me.

If I go to Cervinia again I would probably choose Valtournenche. 5 or 6 miles drop to a resort is nothing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd have no probs being based in Val-tour-nenche. Smile Great food over there, quiet pistes, snow back to the village helps.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The skiing above Valtournenche is really nice, probably nicer than much of Cervinia itself. As someone has said the link relies on a drag lift, very exposed and high up. On the two occasions we have been there (staying in Cervinia) the run from the top of the gondola down to Valtournenche was closed (once in December, once in March)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Been 10 or 11 times to Cervinia and skiied down to Valtournenche. Back again in Jan2011. As reported a bit of a schlepp up the drag lift (10 mins?) depending on the conditions. There's a ski bus to and from Cervinia in case the link is closed so sounds like a good budget option I reckon! Looks like plenty of good bars and restaurants in Valtournenche too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Done the run down there from Cervinia a few times. Great runs down, had a beer in Val (which looked a lovely place) and set off home again. Getting back was a complete ball ache, quite literally because it's about 3 drags, and we had to stop at a hut to warm up after two. Someone mentioned there is a new chair in there, which should help things considerably.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I dont remember a drag last season up from VTN! Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Fox wrote:
I dont remember a drag last season up from VTN! Puzzled

It's gone. The only long drag is now out of the top of the VTN valley back to Cervin. Man, is it exposed up there. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stayed there about 5 years ago. We chose to drive to Cervinia each day & take the lifts from there.

Valtournenche has enough restaurants & bars not to have to go into Cervinia in the evening.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy