Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

need advice on a new touring setup: boots and skis for a female agressive skier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i loved my rossi b3 bandits (174cm) with diamar bindings so much i skied and toured them very aggressively everywhere in the chamonix valley with DH boots for 3 seasons. until, that is, they got stolen at the end of season bash.

then i bought a second hand pair of folsom customs in chile that summer. much bigger fatter ski (181cm 138.110.124). the only rando bindings i could find where the rossi/naxo freeride crossovers-- kinda like the marker dukes. love these skis too but they are just too damn heavy. and i'm tired of the constant blisters so i started trying touring boots at the end of the season-- but after the first go i quickly understood the principle of stiff boot to heavy ski. and quite simply, i will be lucky to find a touring boot for that setup.

i could change the binging to a diamar freeride, but that would be the third drilling which i am a little wary of. so i am considering biting the bullet and buying a 2nd pair of skis just for touring + a 2nd pair of touring boots.

i almost bought the black diamond shivas at the end of the season in Cham last year but the guy in Sole convinced me to wait and get the black diamond quadrant this year instead cos they were going to start making it for girls. from what i can see on the black diamond website this hasn't panned out. they do say they make the quadrant in a 24, but i may be hard pressed to find anyone with it in that size where i can try it on... and i am more likely going to need a 23.5 anyway.

does anyone have any other suggestions for a touring boot that would be a good transition from DH?

and if i do go all out and get a second rando set up, does anyone recommend a ski similar to the B3 bandit? i liked that it was a good all mountain ski even though it was light. i didn't get much chatter from it at high speeds and generally was quite easy. i remember trying a traub one day and being traumatised by the chatter even just on an easy off piste route so am assuming true touring skis are too light for what i like to do when i'm not touring.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

elaine
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eeeeeeeeelaine wrote:
i could change the binging to a diamar freeride, but that would be the third drilling which i am a little wary of. so i am considering biting the bullet and buying a 2nd pair of skis just for touring + a 2nd pair of touring boots.

If you are going for a second pair of skis and boots for touring consider going dynafit so that the weight saved on the binding offsets the extra weight of stiffer boots/skis.

You could also go for a superlight yet stiff (and super expensive) carbon touring ski. (e.g. DPS Wailer 95)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 21-10-10 13:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
so i am considering biting the bullet and buying a 2nd pair of skis just for touring + a 2nd pair of touring boots

Touring gear is always about compromise between the up and down...
You first need to decide if you want

1. a pair of skis for resort skiing - that you could do a little side country to access some nice downhill
OR
2. a specific pair of touring specific skis, that you could do longer tours (i.e haute route or 8 hour touring days).

Quote:
touring boots..

Plenty stiff freeride touring boots. (Garmont, Black Diamond, Scarpa....)
Top end touring boots will never be quite as good as a proper downhill boot. But many people are still happy to ski in touring boots all the time these days.
The actual choice depends on your foot shape / width.

Quote:
touring bindings

Duke for resort based side country.
Dynafit for a touring specific ski

Quote:
...ski similar to the B3 bandit? i liked that it was a good all mountain ski even though it was light.

These days K2 Coomba. Movement Jackal ?
But again see the original comments!
Avoid touring specific skis (like Trabs) unless you ski in lycra and downhill isnt important Wink

No need to look for womens specific gear - unless pink flowery graphics are important to you.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-10-10 13:21; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
eeeeeeeeelaine, Sorry, are you confused? We at Sole will not be doing the Quadrant, we hate it, worst made boot and shape we've ever come across. We'd go with Garmont Hydra or Dynafit Gaia, maybe even a Dalbello Virus Tour if the shape was good. The Shiva is a good boot too, so that would be higher on our list than the quadrant. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Hydra/Shogun from Garmont is by far and away the closest thing you'll get to ski like a real alpine boot, stiff and a proper flex and alpine overlap, there is nothing else that comes close, the tracker from atomic looks good, but they start at 25.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks all for the advice so far. i've been looking at the coomba just worried i should be pushing myself to go lighter esp as am hoping to attempt haute route this spring.....

smallzookeeper- sounds like you were not the person i spoke to. shame you weren't in the store the day i was in, but thanks for the advice now.

e
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy