Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
Haggis_Trap, fabulous, fabulous photos.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some nice photos but the same things are being said again and again (including by me) to no affect (and I'm not refering to Leeds_skier who innocently set all this off). I think I won't return to this thread.

manicpb wrote:

I think you meant Leeds_skier, but thanks for the advice! wink
Embarassed Oops.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

There's a lot of them scary crevasse thingies on the blue runs at La Plagne.... although they're usually quite easy to spot... attached as they are to overweight snowboarders parked on the piste...

There was NO NEED for that! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
so that red lines the piste yeh Parlor Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc, I got the impression from the map kindly posted by moffatross & parlor that the dotted yellow lines represent routes which would generally be perceived as conventional? There have been numerous references to easy ways down so why are you trying to find holes in everything I say? After some of the more helpful comments I am more than aware that:

- A guide is essential
- I shouldn't expect an easy ride
- There are various routes down the slope
- There are many dangers, and most of all;
- It's a great place to ski.

Once I filter through the sly, arrogant posts by some of the jumped up users on this forum there have been some genuinely helpful comments which I am thankful for.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Leeds_Skier, no the routes are not conventional as you would be accustomed to a piste in any other resort. There are no markers, no poles, no signposts, no netting, nothing to follow.

I did it many years ago, I had little off piste experience, but throughly enjoyed my day out, what really bought it home to me was the first run after a couple of turns in some nice fresh snow the guide stopped, leaned over, poked a flat white bit of snow which then collapsed to show a crevasse!!

I don't think you should assume there are 'easy' ways down, it never gets pisted, depending on condition you could be skiing pretty horrible snow, lovely fresh fluffy stuff or just about everything in between.

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK so some of the problems in this thread can be put down to semantics and the inherent flaws of internet communication. The OP got some reasonable and responsible advice first time then continued to ask questions which some of us interpreted as a wind up or that the message wasn't getting through. IMV the definitive advice should be - we don't know we haven't seen you ski, ask a professional (instructor or guide) when you're out there if you're up to it technically (and importantly what snow conditions are like), go with someone who knows the area (which means an instructor or guide) to mitigate the navigation and snow safety risks and read a good off-piste awareness book.

Then post stoke when you get back.

As for time - I suspect that most seasoned skiers don't get much more than 4 top to bottom laps in per day (including uplift time and lunch) yet the Derby competitors clock sub 15 minutes. In reality you could be 1-2+ hours depending on your stamina and conditions.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, La Grave is an amazing place but one to be respected!!!!

I would suggest that you book a private ski lesson with The European Ski and Snowboard school early on in your holiday. They will then help you gain the skills required to ski La Grave and give you an indication of weather a trip there is right for you. Please remember that we are all professionals and will NOT take you if you aren't good enough so be prepared to be told this! But we can also help you to arrive at the minimum level but this could be one lesson or many more which I can't comment on without seeing you ski!!!

La Grave has 2 easier decents which are the ones most people do, but being up pisted or patrolled these can be very variable in difficulty dependent on the snow conditions. You may be lucky and have fluffy powder but equally you may get tougher wind crusted snow or moguels the size of houses!! Local instructors will have some knowledge of the conditions at the time as well which will help with a decision as to weather to go or not!

You will definitely need a transceiver (which as said before can be provided by the ski school) and I would definitely NOT go by yourself.....this isn't sensible in any off piste conditions!

Hope this helps and that you have a fantastic holiday in Les Deux Alpes!

see you in L2A!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This thread is teh funny.

True story: I almost fell in a crevasse at La Plagne within 5 m of a blue piste. Yes I wasn't thinking and did something very stupid but at the time didn't know any different. It can happen and wouldn't have been very nice. The snow under me collapsed and the only thing that stopped me going in was diving to the ground and spreading my weight out before rolling away from the hole.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly, Shocked eek
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, I'm a fan of Darwinism.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For good measure - this will give you the slightest flavour of what a straightforward route is like - takes under 6 minutes wink

http://youtube.com/v/Erc3yLswnWk

Perhaps slightly more useful this is an insight into a good day

http://youtube.com/v/0gKCZ5Fu2ak
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Leeds_Skier, first- welcome to snowheads! second sorry for the 'give evolution a chance' comment, third- I think that perhaps you haven't really understood just how different the skiing is to what you currently enjoy. It's great that you want to ski there, it really is a fantastic place, friendly, vast, quiet, staggeringly beautiful, astonishing terrain and a place to watch some of the best skiers you will ever see.

I suppose that perhaps some of the comments are about the contrasts between your description of yourself, that you have sussed that la Grave would be a great place to ski and what would be required to ski there alone.

If you have 10 weeks skiing, can carve sometimes and struggle on moguls and slush then I think that you just might actually have a fairly miserable time in la Grave unless perhaps you are blessed with being supremely fit. The difficulty is you just get what you get in terms of conditions and there are a lot of them. The usual routes down involve lots of big moguls and really nasty tracks through the forests as well as the possibility of all sorts of other snow. Just not falling over- even on the easy bits is really hard. The least difficult ways down do involve some quite steep skiing and are both really long in fact just about the biggest vertical descent in the world.

Perhaps you saw in a brochure that L2A and la Grave are linked? It is a mecca for off piste skiing and climbing. But the terrain and seriousness is totally different to say skiing off piste in Val D'Isere or even the front of the Grands Montets in Chamonix. The dangers are big- which is why I think the transciever question upset people. There is no avalance control other than letting the snow settle for a day after a big dump (In every other resort they blast), there is no marked way down, there are people who will rescue you but the mountain is not patrolled. There aren't many other people about and often you can't see any other skiers other than from your own party-.

Because of all these issues I don't actually think there are many people who, having never been there before could safely / confidently ski there alone, arguably nobody really.

But don't be put off, if the 'la Rouge' piste in L2A is still unpisted try that a few times it is quite tricky, get some off piste instruction and ask if you're up to it- if so go for a trip to la Grave.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leeds_Skier, You have received nothing but good advice on this thread. Some of it has been overly forgiving (kittenski, schuss in boots et al) given that you ask ridiculously uneducated questions about avalanche safety gear, off-piste alone, easy routes etc. - but the majority have been eminently reasonable and sensible.

So, instead of writing...
Quote:
Once I filter through the sly, arrogant posts by some of the jumped up users on this forum

just accept the tough love which has been offered.

My suggestion to you is to post the exact same question on this forum:

http://tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

I think you'll find the responses may be more illuminating.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="fatbob"]For good measure - this will give you the slightest flavour of what a straightforward route is like - takes under 6 minutes wink

http://youtube.com/v/Erc3yLswnWk

HOLY poo-poo.

Most impressive skiing I've seen in a very long time.
snow report
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203340
ski holidays
Fair play he's game
ski holidays
And I always wonder why I never bother to sign up there...
ski holidays
Feathers or spinners, both can be effective.
ski holidays
gorilla wrote:

Roo wrote:
We took a guy who had never skied before to La Grave and pushed him off the top. I'll be frank with you, and it was a f***ing disaster, but he didn't fall in a crevasse or get pecked to death by choughs or anything.
He'll never ski again though on account of his mangled knee ligaments but for a short while he lived the dream. It's better to have tried and failed and ended up in crippling pain than never to have tried at all.
ski holidays
Jeesus! Have you seen the advice being offered on Teton Gravity re La Grave Shocked?? Ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

The snowpack at La Grave doesn't get deep enough to really warrant wearing a beacon and the biggest cliff there is probably about eight or nine feet. The main routes down are easy to follow.

Er, have alot of the deaths at La Grave been Americans Puzzled

Have to say, I'm not sure what more the the OP is trying to achieve by posting on T1ts On Gravity...
snow report
gorilla wrote:

Laughing I'll never feel harsh giving a blunt reply again!

Leeds_skier, leave it a bit longer and post that question that went along the lines of...

Quote:
Would i need one of those avalanche GPS machines? Or is that an un-needed expense?

Please!!!!!

Have a good holiday in LDA and if you do go to la Grave post back and let us know what you think!
snow conditions
manicpb, It's already there - see last sentence of OP on TGR.
ski holidays
Picked up an Indepent ski supplement at the show yesterday and there's an article on La Grave in it http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/skiing/two-feet-in-la-grave-2107934.html

Guess what it says

Quote:
Despite high-profile accidents such as these, Stefan, Pelle and the handful of guides who call La Grave home baulk at its reputation as "death mountain". It demands respect and competence but offers hugely rewarding challenges even to strong intermediate skiers. What you mustn't do, ever, is ski without somebody who knows the mountain well – ideally a mountain guide.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Jeesus! Have you seen the advice being offered on Teton Gravity re La Grave Shocked?? Ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

The snowpack at La Grave doesn't get deep enough to really warrant wearing a beacon and the biggest cliff there is probably about eight or nine feet. The main routes down are easy to follow.

Have to say, I'm not sure what more the the OP is trying to achieve by posting on T1ts On Gravity...

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha Laughing
ski holidays
mountainaddict, I don't think you're quite getting the 'humour' on TGR wink
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:

Contrary to popular belief Americans do possess and get sarcasm.
latest report
Quote:

It wasn't the OP who posted on TGR. I did it to see what the response would be. I'm astonished that I've not received a barrage of abuse. Seems to be quite restrained up to now.

NO JONGing!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jzBun, I assumed it was you. Great responses so far Laughing Laughing My personal favourite was

Quote:
We took a guy who had never skied before to La Grave and pushed him off the top. I'll be frank with you, and it was a f***ing disaster,

Love it Laughing Laughing
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:

Contrary to popular belief Americans do possess and get sarcasm.

The guy who posted that is a Brit. Even Arno sounds like some 'merican ski bum when he posts on TGR.
snow report
Actually, most of the posts in that thread are from Brits. It's just snowhead's shadow.
ski holidays
jzBun wrote:
Quote:

It wasn't the OP who posted on TGR. I did it to see what the response would be. I'm astonished that I've not received a barrage of abuse. Seems to be quite restrained up to now.

NO JONGing!

Ha, Warwickshire JONG
snow conditions
rob stokes, Sounds good. Might change my name to War-Jong.
snow report
Yup, it's quite acceptable to post humourous respones on TGR, without people getting their panties in a twist
latest report
Leeds_Skier wrote:
Hi,

I'm wanting a bit of help in making a decision on whether or not to ski La Grave and if so the best way to go about it.

I've had about 10 weeks ski experience and consider myself to be a fairly decent skier (can carve when the conditions are suitable, however struggle to find my edge as well on large moguls and slush).

I have a week booked in Les Deux Alpes next april as part of a large party but I don't think any of them will want to give La Grave a try with the apparent danger attached to it (although 1 or 2 might do with the right amount of persuasion).

Are these warnings just standard with it being entirely off piste, or is this mountain in a league of its own?

I am wanting to give it a try whilst I'm there but will i have to pay for a guide? Or will there be enough skiers there for me to just tag along with a crowd and follow them to the bottom. Avoiding any unseen crevasses and rock faces along the way if possible.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

The offpiste heroes on SnowHeads with their "you're not good enough" advice are irritating.

But they're right.

The Serious is a rocky place and it's easy to get lost.

Easy to get lost.

Book a guide for the day.
ski holidays
Quote:
FCUK YOU TGR AMERICANS YOU FAT FCUKING FAGGOTS, STAY THE FCUK AWAY FROM MY COUNTRY, MY FREEDOM AND MY FREE HEALTH CARE, GO HIDE YOUR FAT FCUKING UGLY FACE IN IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN MOUNTAINS!!!!

Interesting. This a response to the question I posted on TGR. WTF.
snow conditions
jzBun, Well you asked for feedback... Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots, This is feedback from another country.

History, as they say, is another country; they do things differently there.
snow report
From TGR.

Quote:
UK gapper jong troll alert
Let the dogs out and rip him a new asshole...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewt...67901&start=80

^ the real joke being there actually is a UK ski forum where people ask questions this dumb on a regular basis...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy