Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self catering nearish Salzburg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm hoping to go with my other half skiing self catering in Austria this winter (probably on the week starting 5th February). My GF isn't a confident skier so nice easy blues will be the order of the day. We're looking for somewhere nearish Salzburg so we can also incorporate a visit there one day.

I've looked at Ellmau, Scheffau, Soll and Maria Alm. Are there any other places that I should be looking at? A smaller cheaper resort would be fine as long as it has easy runs as we won't be covering a lot of ground. Picturesque would be a bonus

As it's only the two of us going the price keeps being hiked up on under occupancy surcharges when looking at prices including flights, a bit daft on one bedroom apartments with pullout beds in the sitting rooms. Booking the accommodation direct and then sorting out flights and transfer/car looks like it might be the cheaper option.

Any thoughts on resorts and specific self catering apartments? I've been looking at some around Maria Alm.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Elmer, Try looking at any where around Sportwelt Amade (Flachau, Wagrain, Zauchensee and St Johann/Alpendorf. The tourist offices have details of lots of self-catering places within spitting distance of the pistes. They are all reachable by train and taxi (for Wagrain Zauchensee and Flachau)

It is a fallacy that there is no self catering in Austria - quite a few snowheads have apartments up for rent as well. A few in Zell am See which is on a direct line from Salzburg.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pretty much every Austrian resort runs a central online booking system through the tourist office. You fill out an online form and apartment owners have 48 hours to send you offers. You then pick which one you want. Links to this are normally displayed prominently on the resort websites. I've found prices to generally be very reasonable as well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for suggestions. I'll have a look at those
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A lot of great self catering in Obertauern, (1 hour trandsfer), not the prettiest of villages but ok. Hohever ski in ski out has lot to commend it. Stayed at the Glocknerin which was great, - only isue slightly out of town, but plenty of others - some withfewer ameneities in the centre. All are pretty much ski in ski out
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Elmer, can't do S/C but we are pretty well priced for BnB / Half-Board... ticks all your other boxes though!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would echo recs for Ski Amade region. There is really oodles of self-catering accom which is bookable through the Ski Amade website or the individual resort websites. We normally do what you are suggesting and get an apartment for 2 people and usually pay around EUR30 pppn. It's a comparable rate to B&B but the advantage is we don't have to spend money on eating out every night if we don't want to.

In terms of the skiing you are looking for, I would specifically look at the Salzburger Sportwelt (Flachau, Wagrain, Zauchensee etc.) and the Hochkoenig area (Maria Alm, etc.). I would probably slightly rate the Salzburger Sportwelt out of the two (specifically Flachau/Wagrain for lots of cruisy blues for your girlfriend) but both offer lots of skiing at a suitable level.

Or stay in Radstadt on half board with flangesax and ski all the areas in the Sportwelt plus Schladming as well!

D
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy