Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
Some pics from Monday: http://www.skinewgen.com/gallery.php?cat=117

Bit cloudy and grey today, but lovely pistes all the same!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just seen a snow report for 19mm rain tonight for Puy at 1400 Crying or Very sad .
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Puy-St-Vincent
(but at least heavy snow is forecast for the upper slopes.) going out next week and really don't want to be skiing in the rain
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kapow, rain turned to snow before 11 pm. Dumped all night and still going now. Stop flapping, you've chosen the best place to go next week Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All that great snow we had turned out to be quite wet and heavy lower down Sad

Great if you're on a snowboard though, which I was not Sad

Still scored some nice lines through the trees in Claviere in the morning sunshine!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sharkymark, thanks! Can't wait, and heard the top slopes are fantastic Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great weather this week in Serre Chevalier. Lower slopes are 'snow challenged' but up high the conditions are good. Spring conditions...cold in the morning and feeling a bit icy but by afternoon the snow, especially south facing, gets cut up.

Nice trip today from Pont del Alpe to the Col de Lauzet with Murray Hamilton - a Scottish guide who has been operating out of Les Vigneaux for more than a dozen years. Check out his web-site. Snow a bit thin to allow a full circuit so it was back down by the same route. Interesting (translation: difficult) mix of slabby snow and powder on the final north facing slope leading up to the Col.

One unfortunate member of a group starting ahead of us managed to dislocate his shoulder on the icy path barely 100 meters from the start. Hope he's OK.

Lots of Ibex and maybe chamois in evidence (hard to tell at distance).

Queryas tomorrow...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kevin Byrne, sounds good (although I'm not sure I like the sound of 'up'. Surely you should be going down ? wink. We've blasted round the pistes in Monetier today with some friends from Durham. Bit soft towards the bottom, but fine higher up, and a lot less warm today too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells, Touché. Yes, no problem going up - it was the sudden changes from hard to soft and back again that got us on the way DOWN!

Enjoy the sunshine - it's nice to feel it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Queryas - great day.

Trip up the Coté Belle Pic Ouest, 2,854m, from Souliers. Just over 1,000 m of climbing. Forestry, narrow valley, open hillside, fine views especially down to Laus, Cerviere, Le Rochebrune, the Col d'Izoard, warm with very little wind....all in all a perfect day and three good companions to share it all with.

Party consisted of Murray (guide) Colin from Scotland, Antoinette and moi. The ascent was of the south side which meant nice spring snow for the descent. As expected, it was crusty on the way up and steep near the summit ridge (note to self: practice the kick turns on steep ground more).

Antoinette was suffering from a rubbed ankle bone and felt every step of the ascent. Good on you, girl, for sticking with it. The benefit of having a guide is being sure of finding the best snow (much of it untracked).

Cola and a nice slice of tart in the Gite at Souliers restored the body at the bottom. 5 hour round trip.

We have to go back to the Queryas...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam, Hey Gavin, just noticed the latest link (from yesterday's post) on your blog doesn't seem to be working. That is assuming there was 'more'.

Hope that helicopter wasn't for anyone in your party.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kevin Byrne, all up on the blog as I have time on my hands - unfortunately after a superb powder day yesterday (1300m climb) on the North side from where you went up from Pont D'Alpe ( really worth doing if you're still out here) , I hit some soft snow, tip dug in, binding (Dynafit) did not release and I've really done my ligaments very very badly, probably surgery needed, will not know until I have the scan Sad

So still just over two weeks here - all my mates now gone to Gran Paradiso for some 4,000m peaks

Like I say if you still have that guide I could send you the route, in fact he could work it out from the map on the blog of the final climb
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam, oh no. Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam, That's a tough one Gav. I hope it's not as bad as you fear but obviously will take time to heal no matter what.

Thanks for the offer of the beta on the route but this time I think we'll pass!!

As it happens, after the two days of randonnee Antoinette had trouble with her boots - or more correctly, her feet, with blisters and sore ankle bones - so we had to jump ship from the touring. There's an outside chance we might join them again for Thursday night / Friday but right now there's less than a 50% chance of that.

We'll store it away the idea of that route for next year....maybe you'll be able to show us. I'll have a look at the map...with a bit of luck I'll figure it out.

Maybe kite-skiing for next year??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We had a 'normal' day today cruising round Montgenevre. Hadn't been there this year and Montgenevre really is a great station. Plus you start at 1,800m, perfect for the current conditions. It did get very soft quite early on so we called it a day at 2.30.

But what a day really....warm, no wind, few enough people, the smell of the pine sap beginning to rise, sitting on some juniper bushes taking a break, justing feeling spring coming alive. The mountains at their most beautiful. A day to soothe the spirit.

Oh and I managed to do a nice 360 or 540 or something on an easy black....and that's the head over heels kind, not the fancy aerial acrobatics so beloved of the youth!! Result: no injuries, in fact didn't even lose a ski, but a can of coke in my pack exploded getting all the contents nicely soaked.

We won't remember the coke but we won't forget the day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So this is it - the final comment on the final day of the season for us...

Today we had a fairly easy jaunt from Laus, near Cervieres, which in turn is near Briancon, to the Col des Peygus. 3hrs 30mins up including stops and 30 mins down. No route finding problems. Lots of old ski tracks but little evidence of recent activity.

The south facing steep hillsides were lovely 'neige transformeé' but there was crusty soft stuff elsewhere. We saw a few other skiers at the col but otherwise this popular route was deserted. Another magic day to be in the hills. The quiet of the forest interrupted only by the sound of a woodpecker.

Lots of good memories to take away from this week. And our appetites are only whetted for more touring next year.
snow report
Our last day here too !! With all the warm sunshine, the snow is softening fast, but there's still some great skiing to be had high up. We've had a very sociable winter, made new friends, met old ones, and showed a lot of people around the pistes.
ski holidays
Had a day out at Mongeneve on Tuesday and then serre chevaliere on Thursday. Still plenty of snow around both (above 1600), although it is starting to melt - fast. However, this is made up by the fact that the weather is absolutely beautiful. Had blazing sunshine all week, skiing in minimal layers. I think last week and this week will be the very latest that the skiing is still good, unless they have some miracle snowfall but I just can't see it happening. What a week though, So sad it's all over again Sad .....but planing next year already! Very Happy
latest report
Looks like there's been some fresh snow this morning http://www.serre-chevalier.com/Webcam-Monetier-le-Bachas-en
ski holidays
About 15 - 20 up top - team went up from Monetier on first lifts - Elaine came home for lunch saying it was too heavy by then........others had a good day, more on the blog I think, though I did not write it!

Trying to upload a video of the Helicopter etc but upload speed in so slow!
ski holidays
Lizards now coming out to sunbathe!

More on the blog - very very warm, but if coming out and you're just a piste skier then conditions are great - better to have deck chair / eating outside picnic weather, outdoor table tennis etc than pissing down with rain and overcast all week!
snow report
Weathercam,
Quote:

Lizards now coming out to sunbathe!

My wife saw a couple of snakes from the chair in Monetier coming out to sun themselves one april.
latest report
T Bar, don't talk about those ESF instructors like that wink
snow report
Hells Bells,
Laughing Laughing
It was before the days of smoking bans they were probably in the restaurant kippering themselves.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy