Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
howdee folks, so a mate of mine is out there and says the place desperately needs snow.
My question is: seeing as the temps are below freezing now, how often are they using the snow cannons?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yobaby, conditions are still pretty good. Hiher pistes are in great condition. It's colder to day, so if they have enough water they should start using the cannons, I'll listen out for them tonight when I go up to the village.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
that'll be great thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yobaby, even if they don't conditions are not what I would describe as 'desperate'.. Still a lot of good skiing to be done.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow canons had been working hard Wed night and pistes today were first class in the morning - I was skiing with Tim from Mojo's and we had a real blast carving the courdroy with the Mrs playing catch up.

By the end of the day a lot of it had been swept away so best tactic is to ski down the side of the pistes.

Was also very very cold, and more like what you'd expect in January then what we had when we first arrived.

Tomorrow as it's our last day I'll be doing some steeps and bumps as well as going over Montagnolle to see my cliff again, so will see what state the knee will be. Montagtnolle will probably be good up top but am fully expecting it to be horrible on the run out - I have warned the people coming with me!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yobaby,
I'd echo what Hells Bells says but it is only fair to add that there is a quite an amount of ice about. We came across one piste today that was closed half way down - apparently due to ice. The odd thing was that the run closed sign and fence were right beside a lift (Lauzieres) which was itself closed. So we had no option but to continue - and it was extremely icy. The run was the red Corvaria for anyone interested. The snow cannon are already in use but as you know they can lead to funny conditions with clumps of powdery snow alongside ice.

Plenty of good skiing to be had and the weather has been fantastic all week but the best advice is to take it easy especially if you don't know the piste.

There are so few people about that it's easy to have the slope all to yourself.

Temperatures were -10C today with a stiff wind so it felt Baltic but at least that puts paid to the freeze / thaw conditions that were here at the start of the week.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its snowing!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowangel., Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam, OH went down Montagnole this morning. As you say the run out was not good. And the cannons are on in Monetier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The snow last night amounted to all of 2mm or so - snow cannons still blasting this morning so they're not bashing it - could be cannon snow on top of courdroy - could be an interesting mix!

More cloud about this morning as well - oh well at least this week my piste skiing has come on loads - attempting to cast away the old school Ali Ross style in favour of the new style carving.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the updates guys and gals, we fly tomorrow morning so your advice is invaluable.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Damn cold again today - did under the Yret chair was not brilliant then did Montagnolle, snow was better up top and down the bottom was horrible - icy as hell - then back over the The Station at Chantermerle - it is getting icy down the bottom though, and my knee is now complaining like mad Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam, it was colder than yesterday. This morning we braved the Yret chair, and stuck to the pistes across to Cucumelle, and over to the Troll above Chantemerle for lunch. Couple of hot chocolate stops on the way. Then back via Foret, and the new Vallons chair. The British army were racing above Serre Ratier which gave us a few laughs over lunch. They should
really teach these guys to ski before sending them out in race gear down an icy GS course. Snow cannons had been going strong on the return down to Monetier via Aya (or as we know know it, Broken Neck Mountain). We've been off to Btriancon for Meg's trip to the vets, and a few demis with Kevin and his OH. Another good day, but sadly our last, as we're off over the Col anc back to Blighty in the morning.

Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good to ski this week with Hells Bells, Jules, Kevin & Antoinette - and a few others - in some ways I was glad that there was not too much other stuff to do (powder wise) as I was looking after my knee - pistes were in very good condition though were getting more icy lower down.

So now looking forward to March (post holidays) and let's just hope they get more snow!

Will send you a PM Kevin with Philou's number
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Serre Chevalier never disappoints and this week was one to lift the spirits. As well as fantastic days on the hills, it was great to meet, greet, ski, eat, drink with like minded folk.

Looking forward to our next visit....

Thanks Weathercam, and thanks Hells Bells,

Safe journeys home everyone.
ski holidays
Hi everyone. We've just arrived back from a week in Serre Che. This page of posts pretty much sums up our expereince really. Lots of great skiing to be had. Went high in the afternoons when the lower slopes had become a bit icy. Snow blowers were on every night from Wednesday, so this gives good conditions for the mornings on those runs. Some really great un-pisted runs - lots of nice moguls. Off-piste conditions not good, very icy and chopped up. Lets hope it snows soon for those of you going out there. Enjoy!
snow report
Great to meet and ski with everyone over these last couple of weeks . My trip to la grave with maggi has to be a highlight snowHead
ski holidays
Just back from a week in Puy St Vincent where conditions were similar to Serre Che. Getting v cold by end of week so needed to take kids in for plenty of emergency hot chocolate breaks, on friday the mtn restaurant thermometer was reading minus 15 (at 2000m). The cannons were running constantly and they were doing a great job of keeping the pistes in good condition but off piste was mostly cruddy although the snow was still satisfyingly powdery off the Rocher Noir lift and the top of Pendine. Popped over to Serre Che for a morning on friday and if anything conditions were a wee bit icier than Puy (lower down) but was good fun and I'll have to visit again. Leaving yesterday morning sun was still shining and looked to be set for the rest of the week with the locals not expecting any more snow in the near future - but, there is enough about to have fun! Driving over the Col du Lautaret yesterday morning the temperature gauge plummeted as we passed through La Grave where it was minus 12 (at 10am) Our instructor in Puy told us that over the Col was the 'dark side'!
snow report
Just come back from a week in SC and have to say I'm disappointed. My favourite run - Cucumelle - is now no longer an empty motorway with the advent of the Vallons chair. I guess it was underused so I grudgingly accept it's good to see it getting more popular. At least I don't have to do a 3 chair circuit to get to the top anymore. The new chair is great for spotting off piste opportunities too of which there appear to be many. Not too sure about the run in to the lift gates though. It looks like an accident waiting to happen as people converge from Lacets and Cucumelle and are funnelled down the green briefly before you have to hang a sharp right over a drop to curl left into the lift base. Twice I got overtaken on my blind side as I was lining up to go over that drop. Someone not so cautious or aware might get clobbered by someone doing the same thing. And this wasn't a busy week. The dismount is great by comparison - they've done a good job flattening out the top there and keeping it away from the Cucumelle lift dismount. Hopefully soon SC will build a fast chair lift up the middle valley where Balme was so that I don't have to grapple with drag lifts to get across the top.
Conditions went from warm April like temps on Sunday over Briancon way to -10 and lower by the end of the week. Thursday some runs were almost bulletproof with all the snow blown off, but the bashers did a top job to turn it around for Friday. Best runs for me were Saludes and Casse du boeuf - hardly anybody on them and great conditions everytime I went.
snow conditions
Was in Serre Che on Friday (a day trip out from Montgenevre) and I thought the conditions really weren't that bad overall... Yes, the off piste was pretty cruddy and tracked out but the piste conditions were ok, even down to the village level and the Luc Aphand black to Chantemerle was really good. In general they had done a good job of keeping the pistes in good shape, just try to avoid the flat greens and blues that get compacted and really hard (easier said than done, I know).
ski holidays
In Serre Che right now conditions are ok Briancon are icy in places with the freeze thaw but not too bad to ski. Montiers is very icy due to the lack of sun which is in abundance at the moment! Best snow too be had is above Villenueve then across to the Cucumelle and around that area are also pretty good this week is very quiet The whole area is definately in need of snow but it is still very skiable in the main. I will post more during the week snow due around Wednesday so they say but no more than a few centimetres.
latest report
Just wondering if a dusting of snow did happen and whether the resort is predicting snow this weekend? I am coming out on 5th February and most of the forecasts at the moment show very little snow. Most models seem to agree that there is a chance of snow on Fri/Sat then potentially nothing for the following week and a half? Obviously these are long range forecasts and subject to change, but I was wondering what the locals think? Also, how are the pistes holding up?
snow report
carettam, There has been no snow this week very sunny clear blue skis. Just finished skiing today pistes are ok but alot are becoming icy in many places. The locals are not predicting any significant snow. Even with all this it is very quiet so the best pistes are great when you get on them. We are going to Montgenevre tomorrow so I will post the conditions there!
ski holidays
Today was the last day of skiing weather was overcast in Serre but very little snow. Conditions are very skiiable and if you are on your way out dont despair as they are looking after the pistes very well. Montgenevre was good yesterday snowed lightly all day conditions are a bit better there than in Serre
snow conditions
sunday
today was just superb! 5cm of fresh snow sure as hell makes a world of difference! I even got my first fresh track off piste with my daughter! It was however only 5cm, all off piste was tracked. The pistes were excellent with one or two excpetions, even the luc was nice for 3/4!
snowing when we came down at just before 4.
would like to see some more snow before the school holidays so i get to profit a bit more! snowHead
latest report
snowangel., Looking at the various forecast models and looking good for you around second week of Feb - think for the 10th even saw the word "heavy" used!

No doubt that will all change !!
latest report
Weathercam, snowangel., I shall be praying to the snow gods and doing my snow dance.
snow report
Weathercam, yes that is bang intime for the first week of the holidays! fingers crossed it comes before!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowangel., new moon on Thursday.
snow conditions
i said to myself i wouldn't look in here - as there's nothing i can do anyway but I just couldn't resist while i count down the days till Sunday!
i've suddenly become religious and am praying to each and every god that there is some nice powder for me and bf to play in!!!
latest report
It will be ok, just spoke to Per my mate who's a guide who lives in a tiny village just up from La Grave (And I know it's La Grave etc etc) and I mentioned to him that looks like finally a change in the weather is a coming and he said "Aaaaah good Gavin, was talking to one of the old farmers here today and he said if the weather is good on the New Moon (Thurs) then weather will be bad for four weeks"

So that's it then - and Hells Bells were you an old mountain farmer in your previous life Smile
snow report
Weathercam, I hope he's right, looks warm and dry as far as I can see right out until mid Feb.....
ski holidays
kitenski, just had a look at the latest forecasts and you're right Crying or Very sad What I mentioned to snowangel., a few posts up has now disappeared Evil or Very Mad

At this rate I can see a complete change of plans for my annual powder hunt trip with my mates which is in the middle of my Serre Che sojourn, damn long drive from Serre up to Sweden though!
latest report
Crying or Very sad I am coming out this weekend and was really hoping for some fresh snow too. Most of the forecasts seem to be showing not only wall to wall sunshine, but also rising temperatures. I am still pinning my hopes on snow at the end of the week - La chaine meteo are still showing a chance of snow.

http://montagne.lachainemeteo.com/meteo/serre-chevalier--domaine-skiable-/alpes-du-sud/prevision_meteo_serre-chevalier--domaine-skiable-_alpes-du-sud_station_236_0.php

I had best get back to snow dancing!
snow conditions
Going out to Serre Chevalier tomorrow, have packed the race skis with super sharp edges, booked a lesson with New Gen for bumps and steeps, here's to some hardpack fun Smile
snow conditions
Just had my first day on snow here. Amazing day and I already love the look of the place - pretty old town and lots of tree runs!
No fresh snow but the slopes are spot on. Even tho it's sunny theres enough of a chill to stop it from melting...
Loving it!!!
latest report
mountain mad, Cool
snow report
Mate's off to Alagna this weekend (long drive) and was looking at the forecasts etc and thought lets look at Serre....................and

Days 4-6 Serre Chevalier Weather Summary:
A heavy fall of snow, heaviest during Wed morning. Temperatures will be below freezing (max -2°C on Mon morning, min -17°C on Wed night). Wind will be generally light.
snow report
Weathercam, let's hope it happens. Snow Dance commencing.
snow report
Here is a snow report from the other day: http://www.youtube.com/eurekaski#p/a/u/0/m1lCEsXkiKw

All good, we're smiling! mountain mad, hope you're still enjoying it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy