Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ridiculous marketing on skis

Poster: A snowHead
I've had many skis over the years and on this has been consistent: ridiculous marketing and claims of 'technology' on the skis.

My XC skis have "White star carbon" otherwise known as err wood?
My Atomic SL12s have 3D power channel MG
My old volkls P60s had aluminium motion rails

These are by no means the most silly sounding, what are the worst you have read? I'm sure of course, that all these things have made me ski much much better.

The trend these days seems to make my skis look like I've vomited my breakfast all over them instead so perhaps this is dying out?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My Salomon 3V's have "Racing Technology" and a "Spaceframe"
My Atomic Metrons are "Beta 5 connected"
My Head skis have a "Liquid Metal Jacket" - I presume this is for when they hit the bars in the evening.
Though I'm not sure of it's insulating qualities.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haha. It's not just skis. I went to buy a new washing machine yesterday, the number of acronyms on the machines were longer than the brand names.

You should both try buying skis that aren't quite so gay. There's a relationship between gay skis and the stupid marking they use to sell them...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've still got some Fischers with Plasma Edges. I did cut myself on them and bled on them so maybe that's what it meant.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That flashing light thing on earlier k2's and i had a pair of nordicas once with two metal/plastic bars (like salomons prolink thing on the top of the ski) they fell off as they were glued on! Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My Icelantics are "Handmade in Colorado, USA" apparently Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A lot of Elans have 'Waveflex' technology, but they are really formed in waves.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i never get the "handmade" tag - telling me that there's a good chance that no two pairs or even no 2 skis are the same aint doin it for me Shocked Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barry, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ..... can we start the boutique skis argument again Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

what gobbldygook have i In my quiver currently?

Pipecleaners -carbon kevlar stringers, a perfect ski for 'pumping trannies' ...hang on am i suddenly in Boris's bar?

rossi S5's-Intelligent distribution of fibers in the ski structure

salli' 24hrs-Powerline active dampening system

to be fair both the Armada and the Rossi's were remarkably BS free in their descriptions, it seems that its the beginner/intermediate level skis that come with the most marketing hype??
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ha that's nothing.... My old K2 Seth Morrisons had a light on the top of the ski that lit up if you flexed them. Now that's cutting edge technology!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH, Excellent stuff Very Happy its got me wanting ski boots with flashing lights an a roller in the heel Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mikeg36 wrote:
My Head skis have a "Liquid Metal Jacket" - I presume this is for when they hit the bars in the evening.
Though I'm not sure of it's insulating qualities.

Laughing I think Head win the ridiculous marketing award across all types of sports equipment.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kevindonkleywood wrote:

Pipecleaners -carbon kevlar stringers, a perfect ski for 'pumping trannies' ...hang on am i suddenly in Boris's bar?

Well the kevlar stringers might be bullsh*t but pumping trannies isn't exactly marketing crap. Being able to pump a transition is pretty important, especially in a pipe.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

kevlar stringers might be bullsh*t

Nah, kevlar stringers add a useful "pop" to a ski. Most of the marketing cowdoo comes into the piste-ish range of skis.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pumping trannies has a very different meaning in some places Shocked
snow report
reverse camber, sidecut whatever...
snow report
Yeah I reckon Head take the crown of marketing BS kings, with the new Kers technology http://www.head.com/ski/technology.php?region=eu&tag=ski&id=511. Correct me if im wrong! Very Happy
ski holidays
spyderman was explaining the technology of his new Head skis to me only the other day: I suggested that he shouldn't believe everything he reads. wink
snow report
el nombre, you missed the very obvious double entendre for the non park rat

strangely I do know what it means in the pipe Toofy Grin
snow conditions
BobinCH, I had the K2 merlin 4 with the flashing light, bought them in Andorra and didn't even know they had a flashing light until someone pointed it out the following season! snowHead i've still got one in the garage and the other is sitting in the basement of a local hotel with 4 shooter glasses attached to it!

I have to confess to buying my old volkl v pros because of the gnar graphics and there was a photo of a fit bird in a bikini on the bindings but to be fair they were sensational planks.
snow conditions
Atomic_skier, Priceless supreme quality BS Very Happy
ski holidays
kevindonkleywood wrote:
el nombre, you missed the very obvious double entendre for the non park rat

strangely I do know what it means in the pipe Toofy Grin

I realised what you were getting, but I was thinking this thread was more to do with the complete nonsense stuff that companies come out with such as Head with their liquid/intelligent metal etc. I always quite like reading whats on peoples skis in lift queues. All mine say is the brand and the model which is no fun at all.
latest report
el nombre, I think your right some skis are just plastered with BS marketing, one classic poster a while back was trying to pimp flowskis

http://www.floskis.com/

very special indeed Smile
snow report
Atomic_skier, I have to say that the performance of skis, snowboards, tennis rackets and baseball bats etc with piezo crystal elements do have a measurable effect in performance. Wheather the user can feel the difference is another matter.

When I worked at Rover/Landrover I got sent on a sabatical to BMW in Munich in 1999. I worked in Noise and vibration testing at the time.

One day our boss turned up with a pair of skis with peizo crystal elements, he had been given them by the departmental boss who did research into piezo stiffened structures for his PhD years ago. he had seen these skis and wanted to know what effect the piezo had.

His research was to do with the skins of space craft vibrating on take off. The idea is that when one area of the skin is in compression the piezo in that position is also compressed and creates an electrical charge. This charge is then fed via wires to another piezo element that is positioned in an area of the structure that will be in tension when the first element is in compression. The second element is compressed by the electric charge from the first element. Then as the vibration cycle is reversed the second element 's charge reinforces the first element. The net result is less vibration. The target frequencies for this technology in aerospce applications are high, in the hundreds or thousands of Hz.

We were asked to find the effect of the piezo on the first natural bending and torsional frequencies of the ski.

We tested the ski as recieved first and the frequencies were in the region of 20-30 Hz as I can remember. Then after X-raying the ski to see the position of the wires we drilled a small hole in the ski to break the circuit.
We retested and the frequencies were reduced by 5-6Hz.

The conclusion was that they did work but at those frequencies would you be able to notice, probably not!

A day well spent I thought Happy

I think that the piezo in baseball bats and tennis rackets is more usefull for reducing the fizz you experience if you don't hit the sweet spot, as it's a higher frequency.

So I guess this ramble is a long winded way of saying it's definately marketing BS! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Atomic_skier wrote:
Yeah I reckon Head take the crown of marketing BS kings, with the new Kers technology http://www.head.com/ski/technology.php?region=eu&tag=ski&id=511. Correct me if im wrong! Very Happy

Haha wow, you were not joking! Sounds like NOS for skis.

Interesting post btw, snowgood!
snow conditions
the_doc wrote:
Most of the marketing cowdoo comes into the piste-ish range of skis.

good effort but no banana, yer just gonna have to take it with all the rest. (with yer dots and unique ride an' all) Laughing
ski holidays
c0Ka|Ne, I can't say that I can feel the Kers working, but not being able to test exactly the same ski without Kers makes that impossible. All I can say is that they're very good skis. Very Happy
ski holidays
Boots beat skis hands down for cowdoo. Grab any pair of salomon Boots and tell me how many special features are written on them. Doesn't mean they're bad boots mind you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Piezoelectric fibers transform kinetic energy into electrical energy which is stored in the embedded chip in the ski. Electrical energy is immediately released to areas of the ski, where additional energy is requested by the sensor."

Shocked

snowgood, someone should develop that system for golf clubs for when i duff my long irons! might save the fingers a bit Very Happy
snow conditions
barry wrote:
the_doc wrote:
Most of the marketing cowdoo comes into the piste-ish range of skis.

good effort but no banana, yer just gonna have to take it with all the rest. (with yer dots and unique ride an' all) Laughing

White dots make your skis better because they absorb solar radiation at a slower rate than the darker background colour. This produces a matrix of hot and cold spots on your skis which stiffens the flex when your need it (on sunny days when you are hooning around) and not when you don't (in whiteouts etc).
latest report
You have to remember that one of the most powerfull treatments in medicine is pure BS.....ok its called placebo but i wonder how much 'placebo' the average skier gets stepping onto their solar powered inertially damped laser sharpened power death skis. If you feel the part you may be able to perform better (or just look like a 'part' Toofy Grin )

SMALLZOOKEEPER, yep got to agree my salomon boots have almost enough stickers to count as toilet reading material Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy