Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glacier skiing in November / Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My employer decided that we'll be having our annual ski trip in early November. Any advice on where to go would be greatly appreciated. We're staying 1 week, which could include some hiking as well if skiable area is limited. We're quite solid skiers.

I have been thinking about Hintertux or Zermatt/Saas Fee, but would like to know more of these and other options as well.

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Teufi, Kitzsteinhorn, Hintertux and Stubai would all meet your needs. I was on the Kitzsteinhorn on Monday and we had superb conditions and weather.

You could also think about the Öztal glacier areas - Sölden has 2 glaciers which are open and have a really wide variety of skiing even when the weather clags in. The first World Cup races are there at the end of this month.

Sue wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Teufi,

If you are going for a week why not do a twin centre trip?

Hintertux glacier in Austria is excellent (we are going there in 9 days time Very Happy) and from there it's only an hour and a half drive to the Stubai Valley for the Stubai glacier.

B & B is cheap and easy to find in each valley and the villages of Mayrhofen (for Hintertux) and Neustift are particularly worth a trip.

Alternatively, you could combine Kitzsteinhorn and Hintertux - again both well worth a visit.

Or you could visit all 3 glaciers in a week for some real variety!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll be having my first turns of the season at the Stubai mid/late Nov, can't bloody come soon enough!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Teufi, Hintertux gets my vote hence why I'm out there from next week Very Happy

Seriously, as the other SHs have mentioned, Kitzsteinhorn, Stubai and Sölden would be good options. I've had some really good early skiing at Pitztal but it might not be the best destination for you as there is no real resort, just villages dotted along the valley road. It doesn't have as much terrain as Hintertux at the same time of year though. However there are some decent hotels (with full ammenties) in the villages nearest the glacier - Mandarfen, Tieflehn and Plangeroß. If you stay in one of these villages then you have very easy access to the glacier funicular by free ski bus. I haven't skied the Swiss glaciers so can't comment on them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Teufi, another vote for Hintertux. With the added bonus that it (along with a lot of the European glaciers) should be getting some snowfall this coming week and perhaps the week after.

You and your work colleagues might also enjoy the Hohenhaus Tenne which is a great place for apres ski at the bottom of the lift.

There are also some good hiking options in the valley, but beware that the forecast looks like you could have snow to the valley floor so you would want to have the right hiking kit.

The first weekend of November (or I suppose more accurately the last weekend in October) might be quite busy as Monday 01 November is a bank holiday in Austria (as it is in many other European countries).

Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice! We're keeping an eye on the weather and decide later this week. Comments on Swiss (or French) glaciers and how they compare with their Austrian counterparts would still be welcome.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Comments on Swiss (or French) glaciers and how they compare with their Austrian counterparts would still be welcome.

Saas Fee offers good autumn skiing amidst very spectacular, crevasse-ridden glacial scenery.

However, the glacier is not as extensive as the Austrian glaciers mentioned above and the lifts are predominantly T-bars.

Still well worth a trip though - and the village is fantastic. (Typical Swiss, old fashioned and car free).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy