Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Cymru 10/11 - Eto, os gwelwch yn dda! (Wales 10/11 - Again, if you please!)

Poster: A snowHead
Amazing photos, as ever!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
some of these photos have to make it in to the snowHeads calendar, especially the one with the icicles in the background !!

Mike Pow wrote:
MONDAY 20 DECEMBER 2010

Another day of sustained, feather dry snowfall in Aberdare, with 11cm falling at MQ during the day.

The turns back to the car park on Cefn Crew were much better than the previous Sunday, the snow firmer and more consistent. The undercut banks high above the Blaen Taf Fawr river had developed some enormous icicles, some 4-5m long.

I set up the tripod again and got this series of shots

A fabulous way to spend Christmas Eve.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brilliant pics there mike Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys

SUNDAY 26 DECEMBER 2010

Return to the Graig Montet

After a wonderful Christmas Day with family and friends it was time to revisit the mountain above my house before the forecasted rise in temperature and rain washed it all away.

I was a little slow out of the blocks and didn't set off until sunrise.

Sunrise in Pendarren St, Aberdare

Instead of walking up the mountain road, I bootpacked up the path and the slopes I intended to ski. Monday's snow had filled in most of mine and others tracks and whilst the snow wasn't as deep and light as it had been on the 18th it still made for some great turns.

As an homage to all the great pics we see from Chamonix with a skier carving powder high above the town I set up the following two shots

Turns from the top of The Graig with the Aberdare to Maerdy mountain road and Aberdare town in the background

Another great morning out skiing Aberdare, made especially so as it was walk to turns.

MONDAY 27 DECEMBER TO WEDNESDAY 29 DECEMBER 2010

Warmer temperatures, fog, mist and rain has eaten the snow down low. The mountains have been shrouded for days so it's anyone's guess if there's any left up high.

No return to below freezing temps or further snowfall forecast for the coming days.

That could be it for 2010. But what a magnificent year for skiing in South Wales. Six months of turns (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Nov, Dec) and unforgettable memories.

Interesting article by Judah Cohen in the Opinion Pages of The International Herald Tribune on Monday

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/opinion/26cohen.html?src=me&ref=general

Quote:
Bundle Up, It’s Global Warming
By JUDAH COHEN

THE earth continues to get warmer, yet it’s feeling a lot colder outside. Over the past few weeks, subzero temperatures in Poland claimed 66 lives; snow arrived in Seattle well before the winter solstice, and fell heavily enough in Minneapolis to make the roof of the Metrodome collapse; and last week blizzards closed Europe’s busiest airports in London and Frankfurt for days, stranding holiday travelers. The snow and record cold have invaded the Eastern United States, with more bad weather predicted.

All of this cold was met with perfect comic timing by the release of a World Meteorological Organization report showing that 2010 will probably be among the three warmest years on record, and 2001 through 2010 the warmest decade on record.

How can we reconcile this? The not-so-obvious short answer is that the overall warming of the atmosphere is actually creating cold-weather extremes. Last winter, too, was exceptionally snowy and cold across the Eastern United States and Eurasia, as were seven of the previous nine winters.

For a more detailed explanation, we must turn our attention to the snow in Siberia.

Annual cycles like El Niño/Southern Oscillation, solar variability and global ocean currents cannot account for recent winter cooling. And though it is well documented that the earth’s frozen areas are in retreat, evidence of thinning Arctic sea ice does not explain why the world’s major cities are having colder winters.

But one phenomenon that may be significant is the way in which seasonal snow cover has continued to increase even as other frozen areas are shrinking. In the past two decades, snow cover has expanded across the high latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere, especially in Siberia, just north of a series of exceptionally high mountain ranges, including the Himalayas, the Tien Shan and the Altai.

The high topography of Asia influences the atmosphere in profound ways. The jet stream, a river of fast-flowing air five to seven miles above sea level, bends around Asia’s mountains in a wavelike pattern, much as water in a stream flows around a rock or boulder. The energy from these atmospheric waves, like the energy from a sound wave, propagates both horizontally and vertically.

As global temperatures have warmed and as Arctic sea ice has melted over the past two and a half decades, more moisture has become available to fall as snow over the continents. So the snow cover across Siberia in the fall has steadily increased.

The sun’s energy reflects off the bright white snow and escapes back out to space. As a result, the temperature cools. When snow cover is more abundant in Siberia, it creates an unusually large dome of cold air next to the mountains, and this amplifies the standing waves in the atmosphere, just as a bigger rock in a stream increases the size of the waves of water flowing by.

The increased wave energy in the air spreads both horizontally, around the Northern Hemisphere, and vertically, up into the stratosphere and down toward the earth’s surface. In response, the jet stream, instead of flowing predominantly west to east as usual, meanders more north and south. In winter, this change in flow sends warm air north from the subtropical oceans into Alaska and Greenland, but it also pushes cold air south from the Arctic on the east side of the Rockies. Meanwhile, across Eurasia, cold air from Siberia spills south into East Asia and even southwestward into Europe.

That is why the Eastern United States, Northern Europe and East Asia have experienced extraordinarily snowy and cold winters since the turn of this century. Most forecasts have failed to predict these colder winters, however, because the primary drivers in their models are the oceans, which have been warming even as winters have grown chillier. They have ignored the snow in Siberia.

Last week, the British government asked its chief science adviser for an explanation. My advice to him is to look to the east.

It’s all a snow job by nature. The reality is, we’re freezing not in spite of climate change but because of it.

Judah Cohen is the director of seasonal forecasting at an atmospheric and environmental research firm.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow wrote:

Utter genius! Never has Aberdare looked so good!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow, absolutely amazing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow, nice work Happy

Interesting comment in the news feature about the snow cover in the East expanding. When I've looked at this before the theory is that more snow cover = more snow cover, so things may continue to get colder.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike, truly inspirational again!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike - your images are fantastic. They shouldn't be tucked away in this thread. Presumably you have a blog somewhere?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all.

No blog Feast but seriously considering it for 2011. Maybe even a resolution. 1080 HD of course Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Awesome Mike, I'm so jealous you were up there on Christmas Eve. The weather was splendid that day; the imposing North East face of Pen-y-Fan looks awesome and every bit a big mountain with that thick covering of snow almost completly covering those steep buttresses. Everytime I go up there I get treated to thick hill fog and gales. Me and Pen-y-Fan aren't friends any more. Wonderful, wonderful images.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from Aviemore and catching up on your exploits Mike - fantastic photos as ever, well done!

So how are things now, any snow left or new snow falling (snowing in Bristol right now)?

Am hoping there will be skiable snow sometime in the next few weeks, would like to get up for a bit of fun before returning north in Feb. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowed here this morning and has just started again. Had a great walk on a snowy Wenallt this morning snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, incredible photos - they just keep getting better snowHead

Took the skis to Beddgelert but nothing really left other than to make Crib Goch interesting... Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow, Aberdare - so my Dad was born in a ski resort. That explains it then.

Great pics
snow report
Quote:
Interesting article by Judah Cohen in the Opinion Pages of The International Herald Tribune on Monday

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/opinion/26cohen.html?src=me&ref=general

Quote:
Bundle Up, It’s Global Warming
By JUDAH COHEN

THE earth continues to get warmer, yet it’s feeling a lot colder outside....

Indeed it is interesting. What it describes is a negative feedback ... a thermostat, if you will, that limits the temperature, even as "forcings" act to increase it.

Acting by itself, a doubling of atmospheric CO₂ (it's at about 40% greater than pre-industrial levels at the moment) would add approximately 1.0ºC to the temperature. The IPCC estimate of the effect of a doubling of CO₂ is an increase of 2.0–4.5ºC; in other words, their estimates assume strong positive feedbacks.

Meanwhile, although the noughties was the warmest decade in the 150 years or so of reasonable instrumental records, the earth's surface didn't actually warm up during it. Ready as they may be with post hoc rationalisations, I don't think the likes of Judah Cohen predicted that and tend to shy away from drawing attention to it.

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/hadcrut3gl/from:1995
ski holidays
MONDAY 03 JANUARY 2011

Happy New Year.

The warming temperatures and steady drizzle at the end of the holiday period decimiated the snowpack.

Isolated strips in gullies or tucked in folds on north facing slopes are all that's left to remind us of the excellent late December conditions.

But it looks like we won't have to wait long for the next chance.

It's tried to snow all day here in Aberdare and a return to colder temperatures and snow is forecast for the weekend.

Watch this space! Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 3-01-11 18:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Mike Pow, great pics!
ski holidays
Had a grand day on the Carneddau on December 10th, Blue Sky and Great Powder, basically put the skins on a skinned it from the road to the top of Carneddau and then skied all the way back down to the road,a fantastic day out. Sorry about my thumb in the pic, havent got used to how wide the lens is on the Hero HD cam Smile

latest report
Ooh, that terrain looks very inviting
snow report
Mike Pow,
Great pics, as usual. Hope to see you on Pen y Fan (and any other SHs) if the snow returns.
snow conditions
THURSDAY 06 JANUARY 2011

Derek's saying that December 2010 was the coldest month in Wales for at least 100 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesnature/2011/01/up_and_down_like_a_yo-yo.html

After two days of persistent rainfall the mercury is dropping.

Up to 20cm forecast tonight into the early hours of tomorrow morning. Continued snowfall expected throughout the morning but turning to rain below 1,000m by lunchtime.

Small window of opportunity in the Beacons early tomorrow. See you there.
snow report
FRIDAY 07 JANUARY 2011

Just a skiff in Aberdare although it was cold enough to stick.

Traffic camera for The Storey Arms is showing patchy accumulation down low and a grey, damp morning.

http://www.traffic-wales.com/traffic

Already turning to rain, and I don't do rain.
ski holidays
SATURDAY 08 JANUARY - MONDAY 14 FEBRUARY 2011

A normal Welsh winter.

Rain, drizzle, downpours, gales, mist, above freezing temps, and more rain. Oh and did I mention the rain?

But on Valentine's Day the chance of a little loving

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/brecon/brecon_latest_pressure.html

Popping over that way later for lunch. Will take a quick shifty.

Could be on for the first Welsh turns of 2011 early tomorrow morning before the rain returns.
snow report
TUESDAY 15 FEBRUARY - SUNDAY 31 JULY 2011

A disappointing 2011 in S Wales. So far wink

No snowfall bar the odd flurry and no skiing.

Warm and dry spring and an excellent start to the summer.

However July has been wet and August looks to be following a similar pattern.

The night time temperatures have been colder than normal and the leaves are already turning and the berries are on the trees.

Hopefully this is a sign of a wild winter to come.

Bring on the Ice Age!
ski holidays
Mike Pow, +1. I must get out in wales somewhere this year.
snow report
Ardderchog ! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy