Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Cymru 10/11 - Eto, os gwelwch yn dda! (Wales 10/11 - Again, if you please!)

Poster: A snowHead
Looking good. But I'm fully occupied until the New Year Sad

Looking forward to the report...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got the day off work today to recover from the Xmas do so following this closely. We'll be in the Brecons tomorrow and Sunday I should think snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A470 between Abercynon roundabout and Pentrebach and between Cern Coed roundabout and Brecon closed all day.

More snow forecast overnight and tomorrow morning.

Check road conditions before setting out.

Thankfully I can walk to Aberdare's finest Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Damn... Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello,
This thread is fantastic, I'm gutted I have only just discovered it!

I'm pretty new to the Swansea area and was wondering if anyone could recommend the best hills to go boarding around here? So much snow, so little time!

Thank you!
Jo
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 17-12-10 18:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saw Llanberis on the news at lunch, looks pretty good but impossible to get to!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you can get up the A4067 then Fan Gyhirych could well be worth the slog up for a board down as the mountain is next to the A road.

My back garden here on the edge of Cardiff has broken the 20cm barrier for snow - first time in the 15 years I've lived here..... a ski tour of the Garth may well be viable tomorrow!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone fancy doing anything tomorrow? I would be coning from manchester so Wales in only an hour from me so i could get there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Anyone fancy doing anything tomorrow? I would be coning from manchester so Wales in only an hour from me so i could get there.

I'm in Rhosesmor [in between Mold and Holywell - just off the A55]. where were you thinking of going?

Jonny
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i was going to try a trip on sunday, if they managed to clear the roads, although i do have snow chains snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I drove around along the A5 today through Betws y Coed and it was a nightmare! The snow was coming down thick and I'm sure there was 8" in the valley. Capel Curig looked deeper as i was heading over to Beddgelert. I have not seen the roads as bad as this for years around here. Should be good once the sun comes out and the roads get cleared.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dr_robotnick wrote:

I'm in Rhosesmor [in between Mold and Holywell - just off the A55]. where were you thinking of going?

Jonny

What car do you drive, as i have a Mondeo St with fat chunky sports tyres going in my car wont be a good idea!!! Never skied off piste before so just want to try a local hill somewhere thats all. Any ideas?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Toyota Yaris with good front Maxis MA-P1 tyres but they are not for snow but good in wet conditions and they seem to hold well on snow so far touch wood. Might try around Beddgelert forest tomorrow if the weather clears up. There is some very nice tracks in the forest. I have just been out to measure the snow and its around 7" in Beddgelert village. That's is rare for here as its not very high!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like south wales got hit bad this morning! I bet the north east face of pen y fan looks a treat right now, if only I could get to Cribyn, which i doubt if the a470 is closed, and i suspect there is no chance of getting anywhere near the Neaudd reservoirs either. Is the same true of the Trecastle to Glentawe road for access to Black Mountain? Do you think current conditions are comparable to last January's?
snow conditions
Only got as far as the M25 on my journey to france before turning back, so Pen-y-fan is back on the cards for me. Hopefully the a470 will open soon..
snow report
i think with the winds south east facing slopes should have better loading, although not sure about how sheltered any slopes that i know are more open and exposed
snow report
the view towards Pen-y-fan's north-east face from Cribyn is stunning after a heavy snow fall; it looks steep and dangerous, and its aspect allows snow and ice to linger there for a long time. well worth the extra effort to get to.
snow report
scotthunter wrote:
Looks like south wales got hit bad this morning! I bet the north east face of pen y fan looks a treat right now, if only I could get to Cribyn, which i doubt if the a470 is closed, and i suspect there is no chance of getting anywhere near the Neaudd reservoirs either. Is the same true of the Trecastle to Glentawe road for access to Black Mountain? Do you think current conditions are comparable to last January's?

SATURDAY 18 DECEMBER 2010

Wales got hit great snowHead

Measurements taken at MQ in Aberdare

10cm overnight Thursday 16 December into Friday 17 December
19cm throughout the day on Friday 17 December

Currently nuking Hokkaido style in the pre-dawn streetlight illuminuted darkness.

This is the most snow I've seen in my street since the early '80s, and if the snow continues as forecast will surpass the December '78 into January '79 depths when I was off school for three weeks straight (the fact that the school burned down just before Christmas helped too).

My guess to the only chance of getting in to the Beacons today is on the Brecon Mountain Railway Santa Express if it's still running.

http://www.breconmountainrailway.co.uk/index.html

I called them yesterday afternoon but got to answer.

Currently A470 between Merthyr and Brecon is closed so too the A465 between Merthyr and Dowlais Top.

If the snowfall in Aberdare is any indication on the snowfall in the Brecon Beacons - and it usually is - then we could see extraordinary coverage.

2010 has been the year of snow in this part of the world, with 7 of the 12 months experiencing snowfall and offering up 6 non-consecutive months of skiing (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Nov, Dec).

The slopes above Aberdare will be signed very soon, and then hopefully over to the Beacons if the roads are open.
snow conditions
any idea how long it take them to open up the roads, appears there are a couple of broken down lorries on the M4, snow is mean to ease off quite soon, only3 cm in Bath, not really enough even for smooth grass
latest report
Oh my god, its snowing really heavy here at Beddgelert and we now have 10-12" of snow! Shocked We have never seen this much snow in the village ever! Its still dumping it now and no sign of it letting up. Pics to follow shortly.
latest report
surfski, Get them on here, we have 4" and i m so jelous!!!
snow conditions
surfski, Get them on here, we have 4" and i m so jelous!!!

Ricklovesthepowder, OK here goes,

[/img]
snow conditions
Dartmoor is looking good too, http://www.dartcom.co.uk/dartcam/
That is only at 369m, I expect significant drifts at 600m.
ski holidays
Dartmoor is looking good too, http://www.dartcom.co.uk/dartcam/
That is only at 369m, I expect significant drifts at 600m.
ski holidays
roads are looking better going to try to get there for first light tomorrow
latest report
I might also try the same - if I can persuade the girlfriend to wake up that early...
snow report
Quick update. Pics to follow after the rugby.

Aberdare this morning was unbelievable. Boot top to knee deep cold smoke on The Graig. As light as any snow I've had on Hokkaido and the best snow I've skied in Wales bar none. Even got a couple of face shots. And it went bluebird after the first run.

Skied The Darren after The Graig. Boot top pow dodging the gorse bushes.

Very happy and knackered camper.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
very jealous, which aspects appeared to have the best snow, where should I head for tomorrow if manage to get to the beacons?
snow conditions
Sounds amazing! Looks like the A470 is still shut - if that is the case tomorrow morning, can anyone recommend some alternative 'mountains' that are a bit more accessible from the M4 direction?
ski holidays
http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/southeastwales/

they say its passable with care, as long i get there before a lorry tries to do something clever
latest report
I have heard they reopened the a470. Does anyone know if it's open up to the toilets car park by the storey arms as I am thinking of trudging up Pen y Fan tonight?
latest report
I imagine you prepared, but temps are ment to get down to -8 in merthyr up on the mountain could be a few degrees cooler brrr have fun
ski holidays
I have camped on the summit before last february when it was about minus 8 and woke up to gale force winds
snow conditions
I attempted a couple of runs at Moel Famau but the ground was frozen hummocks of turf with a few inches of light powder on top. Crap to be honest.
ski holidays
If anyone fancies a cuppa at sun up on the summit of pen-y-fan
tomorrow morning, look out for a bright orange tent. Merthyr here I come... Razz
snow conditions
scotthunter, TENT Shocked
ski holidays
On the summit of pen y fan now, spending the night up here. walked up here in the night, under a full moon. perfect snow conditions right now. go enjoy!!
snow report
snow on road all the way from m4. But made all the way with out my chains to storey arms (via SMS)
latest report
scotthunter, snowkiter, what's the wind like? Mountain forecast recons 30 mph...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy