Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My first snowboard....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to do a ski season and decided to take this as my opportunity to learn to snowboard (having not wanted to spend past skiing hols using skiing time on my bum).

I've had a couple of lessons a mk and did really well. I'm looking for something that I can play about on and will be good to start with but I can 'grow into' over the season.
I'm 5' 4' and medium/small build (woman), binding advice would be good too.
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
grottieottie, Mrs cad 5' 3", slim build, rides:

Bataleon Violenza 149, Burton Lexa bindings which fit well with Salomon Ivy boots.

She found the Burton stiletto bindings too tight.

Great on piste and in powder and has found no limitations after 15 weeks.

Enjoy your season - remember you will need protection wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boots,imo, are the most important, try on lots and get most comfortable ones. I don't know what boards are good or not for you, but others will. Then try bindings with your boots if you can, ones which hold your feet well, and are comfortable. comfort is the big thing for me, don't matter if you've got best set up, if your feet hurt - you're miserable.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As per above^
Spend time and possibly money on a pair of boots that you feel comfortable and are a good fit (as in keep you feet well in place)
As for the board/bindings: make sure your boots fit the bindings apart from that the world is your oyster. You'll get plenty of recommendations but my advice, from personal experience, is not to spend too much on your first board (e.g. buy 2nd hand or bottom of the range) because despite your wish "to grow into" it, there is a high likelyhood that you'll wish to change quickly as you get better and start getting a feel for what you like/don't like, want/do not want...
The boots can last for ages so it's worth spending the money upfront, I wouldn't say the same for the rest, unless money is no object in which case obviously treat yourself! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did my first boarding season on some cheapo beginner setup which cost me 150€ - was more than adequate for a season, and I sold it on the following season to another girly doing the same thing. Spent 275€ on the boots though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
With snowboard boots in this small size cost can be relavent but up too you.

You can and will find tons `New very cheap small sizes about,they don,t sell but its a risk with fit, although saying that you could buy 3 pairs at TSA costs, so! .
I think tsa and the rock are a risk too but my opinion, cause its hit or miss on the right person,some are ok/good some just helpful,it is a big difference.
I just got a new pair from a unusual source of bobspaldingmarineandleisure for 1/4 price posted but I Knew the boot size so had a advantage.So was lucky.

My point though is you will hear all the fitting stuff till the cows come home and none will shell test you,rarely in snowboard boots, most stores will size you into a comfort fit which is fine possibly but you have some time till the season starts.
So this post is just a option I found it strange that when asked `what Iam doing` taking a liner out of a boot to shell test myself.

If you are getting about MK ok and want too leave it to the store guy/girl to fit you, as above, its important `especially` if your feet are bit odd.
I found that one branch, the ski boot fit guy was clued up way above the snowboard guy and the girl was straight out of school.
Mk may be better as more custom and people can walk back to point of sale after trying though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
grottieottie, as has been said above, if you haven't bought them yet, invest in your boots first.

as for your board, quite frankly when you're beginning to ride, it depends on what you want out of your kit.

boards like the burton feather or k2 luna have good reputations for beginner to progressive boards. depending on whether you'll be hooning around the piste (most likely), in the park (maybe by the middle and end of your season) or off-piste (same) you'll need a board more suited to that purpose.

boards that are considered to be more progressive, less beginner, are k2 vavavoom, burton feelgood, salomon lily (x-games winner jenny jones rides this one) and battaleon boards, again depending on what you're planning on doing. these are by no means the finite list. you would really need to demo boards to try and get a feel for one that you like.

i'm your height and am probably a bit heavier than you (i weigh ~61kg). i ride a signal caliope 148 with salomon e-lite bindings. i like riding the whole mountain, so i find my set-up light and poppy and great overall, but it does eat through wax like nothing else. hth
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the advice, I have some burton boots I found on e-bay and took a punt on which I was very very lucky with as they fit like a glove and were comfortable for my three hour lessons and still have a bit f stiffness to them.

Think I'm going with the burton feather as per sherlocks recomendation as it should be good to get me started and i found one which doesn't break the bank so leaves me some money for bindings.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy