Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

the perfect boiled egg

Poster: A snowHead
I asked a french chalet host to comment on this thread so we could put to bed wether it better to have the said boiled egg firm white runny yolk etc . He has obviously seen it and is quite fed up with it as he quite abruptly said "no ! enough is enough ".... Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh .... sorry, he said "no, an oeuf is an oeuf ".... rolling eyes
my apologies but I had to get that one in.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
limegreen1, Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Iski wrote:
maggi wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Some fooker will always try to nick your nicely boiled egg from the bain marie machine thing

I have seen people almost come to blows about egg-nicking Shocked . (They were German though - am I allowed to say this? Little Angel )

I did once 'nick' someone else's eggs from the 'bain marie machine thing' as I hadn't come across one before and didn't have any idea what the system/rules were (presumed all the eggs were hard boiled). I realized my error on a) finding the eggs were half cooked and b)being confronted by an irate French lady! Embarassed I explained and apologized profusely, but we were still treated to resentful stares for the rest of the meal Skullie

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There is an App on the iPhone for the perfect boiled egg - takes size, altitude, from the fridge/not from the fridge, etc into account. Works every time!!! And cockadoodledoos when your egg is ready!

Laughing Laughing Laughing One of the better arguments I've heard for buying an iPhone.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Iski, I had no idea such a system existed either, so I too would be unaware of egg eggiquette if ever confronted by one - in fact without viewing its use by other guests I would probably not guess its purpose either. So assuming that the eggs just float around in the device how are you supposed to know which is yours or are you meant to stand and watch them?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

There is an App on the iPhone for the perfect boiled egg - takes size, altitude, from the fridge/not from the fridge, etc into account. Works every time!!! And cockadoodledoos when your egg is ready!

Laughing Laughing Laughing One of the better arguments I've heard for buying an iPhone.

Tempting..................... snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
but isnt the satisfaction of boiling the perfect egg gained from overcoming the inpredictability, and overcoming the odds, by taking all the information attained, analysing it and putting theory into practise ?
All this IApps is a bit like taking a maths gcse with a calculator ...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gazzza, agree, dreaming of poached egg on toast now, that's breakfast tomorrow sorted. Very Happy

Has a "What's the perfect egg poaching method" thread been done?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
poaching ? ive been trying that..... add some vinegar to the water and stir it. whilst the water is still turning crack the egg and drop it in. keep the water moving. i think its how to do it to get the grand hotel stylie poached egg ....... unfortunately, my efforts end with a froth of white on the top and a yellow rubber ball floating around..
over to you chalet hosts..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
limegreen1, I can sympathise with you.

I have been on a quest for the perfect poached egg and spent last year asking people what was the best method, to which I got loads of permatations including yours.

The biggest problem I have with poaching is the mess in the pan after and how bloody hard it is to wash up, which was tipping the balance of enjoying the poached egg in first place knowing that a hard scrub was not far away!

The solution was provided by my sister in the shape of a green silcon cup - magic!

as shown here...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/2-TECH-Silicone-Egg-Poachers-2pcs/dp/B001C3CM5K?tag=amz07b-21

No mess and you get the whole of the egg to enjoy - Bonus Very Happy

All you do is wipe the inside of the cup with some oil to allow the egg to be relased once it's cooked, sit the cup in boiling water and crack the egg into the cup and wait 6 minutes for large free range egg to be cooked to perfection and then tip out onto your toast and enjoy.

Looking forward to tomorrows breafast even more now!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I knew I d been blown out by the saucy chalet host when i asked her how she liked her eggs in the morning . Her reply..... "unfertilised thank you fatty" Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
limegreen1, Harsh! Shocked Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
but fair .. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowgood the secret to the perfect poached egg is in the vortex, stir the water vigorously, and break the egg into the spinning, and gently simmering water (bubbles will make the white spread out. No need for vinegar either, the secret is plenty of salt in the water. Add bacon, hollandaise sauce and a toasted muffin for Eggs Benedict.
snow conditions
One of my rather grumpy colleagues asked a waitress in Dominica for poached eggs. She arrived with boiled eggs. He said "I asked for poached eggs" She just smiled sweetly and said, in her broad Caribbean accent "Here in Dominica we poach dem in de shells". He was silenced, for once.
snow report
Hells Bells, I've tried the tornado method and you do get a poached egg at the end of it, but half the white turns to a froth and sticks to the pan! Mad

The best method I found - without addition equipment - was to boil the water, turn off the heat and once the water has "settled" plop in the egg and once it looks like the outer extremities of the egg blob has solidified turn the heat on again to finish it off. Smile

I have seen the large dishes/vats of water in hotels at breakfast, where poached eggs are simmering away, but never been around when the chef was launching the eggs, so still puzzled by how they do it Confused
snow report
snowgood, a chef taught me how to do it. No froth, and it doesn't stick to the pan. I suspect your tornado is a bit too fierce. The deeper the pan the better. I guess an asparagus pan would be good. I'd tried all ways in the past.
snow report
Hells Bells, Yeah I think so too! I just watched this on youtube and spotted several school boy errors!

http://youtube.com/v/Bxvxwk3TFPQ&feature=related

I watched a couple of others and they all using vinegar and some salt aswell.

My tornado was definately too fierce - Force 10 - and also the water was boiling vigorously which scatters the white straight away Shocked

And using a launch dish rather than cracking the egg straight in seems like a good idea!

So that looks like poaching cracked! Madeye-Smiley

What a way to spend a Sunday evening! Confused

Thanks for the tips, roll on the snow season!
ski holidays
snowgood, practice cracking the egg with one hand, then you don't need the launch pad.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, One hand! this is gona get messy! Can just about crack an egg with two hands at the moment! Shocked

Unfortunately for me my, culinary skiils don't mach my skiing! Confused

Definately still on the blue runs in the kitchen!
ski holidays
One hand is Extreme egging !....
Im looking forward to the morning and having a go at the deep pan vortex method without additives.. I'll keep you posted.

whats the difference between an egg and a w**k ?
You can beat an egg but you cant beat a w**k !
snow conditions
limegreen1, Quality Toofy Grin I knew once Hells Bells, mentioned cracking an egg with one hand it would go downhill rapidly! Very Happy
latest report
snowgood, things often go downhill rapidly when I post.
snow report
Hells Bells, Legend wink
ski holidays
pam w, Re: poaching them in their shells Laughing - TBH I think if you are going to poach an egg by putting it into a container (silicone, plastic whatever) and then sitting the container into a bain marie (without covering the egg), you are not really going to get a result much different to boiling it. I think the thing about poaching them properly by dropping the naked egg into simmering water is that the white gets a lighter fluffier texture, but as mentioned above there is definitely a knack to doing so.
ski holidays
Megamum, I agree that poached egg "containers" rather miss the point. You get a rather different product, which is very similar to what you get if you boil the egg in its shell, then gently peel it and plop the whole thing on your toast. This French recipe for "oeuf mollet" has a nice picture of the result when you get it right. Makes the washing up easier.
ski holidays
sorry for any puns here but i think " Hells bells ! .... I think I ve cracked it ! " are the words used as the egg bonded in the lightly simmering deep vortex this morning. Now to get me to some ski area to try the boiling at altitude method.
What is the highest point that someone has boiled an egg ? Anyone got a jet boil to take on a high tour ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Laughing Somebody will be reccomending microwave poachers next ............
snow report
The health and safety fun police recently tried to stop us from serving runny eggs in our chalets. We fought hard and won the right to eat a runny egg at brekkie. Not runny white though ... that's just too wobbly and nauseating.
snow conditions
limegreen1, Snap! ummmmm poached eggs on toast Happy

Hells Bells, Thanks coach Happy

Megamum, & pam w, I do agree with you that a "Natural" poached egg has a lighter texture to it. In my defence, I would put forward that in my blissfull ingnorance of the correct method, the silicon cups were the current high water mark I had attained in the poaching stakes. Which was surpassed this morning with a near perfect "Natural" poached egg.

Near perfection was attained without vinegar or a launching vessel. Though, Hells Bells, I have to report that the cracking was with both hands - sorry Confused - I can't help feeling inadeqate Sad

Boredsurfing, I wonder what happened to the bloke who was on Dragons Den with the egg cooking gadget which he couldn't get to work for the demo?
latest report
Woooooah that's harsh. If a chalet company had a no runny egg policy they would be on my black list immediately ! That's an outage !
Glad you fought for the rights of runny eggs ctskifam !

It would be a crime to miss out on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Poachedegg.jpg

...And egg poachers are just plain wrong, microwave or otherwise. I think technically that would make a coddled egg ?
Poached egg has to be dopped into a pan of (just under boiling) water.

Swilring works, but is only good for one egg a time.
snow report
I remember staying in a Crystal chalet, and I was not allowed a runny egg. Gazzza, you can cook two at a time if you get the second egg in there fast enough. Just push the first one to the side of the pan.
ski holidays
You need a really fresh egg for poaching - the white sticks together more.

I now use a little frying pan, I find the egg stays together better than in a deeper pan. I use lots of vinegar as I love it. I have it on a very low simmer. No swirl. Just drop it in. Put the toast in the toaster and when the toast comes up and is buttered my egg is ready. Very considerate of the toaster people I think.

Megamum, It looks a bit like a deep fat fryer but has water in. Then they have little baskets to hold each individual egg - on a long stem to hook over the side of the pan. In theory you should remember where you put your egg.
snow report
Did you see that ? ! masterchef ? .... on top of the steak tartare .....now that is what I call a perfect poached egg ..
latest report
limegreen1, Very Happy
latest report
Egg no 3 was the prettiest.
snow conditions
Quote:

In theory you should remember where you put your egg.

When I encountered this there was a felt tip pen to put your initials on the egg. Simple solution.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, pam w, I am thankfully informed re: boiled egg eggiquette - many thanks it may well save me from committing a boiled egg faux pas when I first stumble upon a machine on holiday.
ski holidays
Runny eggs are perfectly 'legal' however producing them for high risk consumers, 'the infirm or very young', is a no no.
I could produce a link to the official advice saying that, but it's late and can't be arsed Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy