Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot Longevity.

Poster: A snowHead
Rather than Hijack someone elses forum ( http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=67608), I thought I ask seperately.

What is the Live span of a Boot Shell?
Is it measures in conventional years, or in Skking days?
Should I replace My 4-5yr / 105days (ish) old Tecnicas?
What about the liners, do they age in the same way?
Do Foamed liners last longer than Std liners?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bob, I reckon boot lines, like skis, last about a season (i.e. around 120 active days).

Mine smell too bad to use after that anyway.

Shells last longer unless there's a design flaw (c.f. bright orange Technicas)

Foamed liners, in my experience, get smelly just as quickly.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
30,000 flexs through 10°, Liners depend on how well the shell fits. Yes foam lasts longer, if done correctly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
30,000 flexs through 10°, Liners depend on how well the shell fits. Yes foam lasts longer, if done correctly.

and how many flexes would Jo Average do during a day on the mountain??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, haha, why you asking me?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Plastic lasts for a long time....
Even on a 10 year old boot the plastic should still be fine.
Normally ski boots die when the liners / foam pack out.
Or occasionally the buckles fall off. Both of these can be replaced if you want. (new heat fitted liners are circa £100).

Life span of a ski boot ? How long is a piece of string ? Depends how much you use them. And if you dry them out properly.
Roughly rule of thumb - once you approach 200 days use they will be looking worse for wear.
Which is basically a couple of full seasons in the alps.

For your average UK punter skiing couple times a year a ski boot will last maybe 8 years ?
If your skiing at a dome / every weekend in Scotland / dry slope then it will be less.
Probably by that point you will be looking to replace them with something more modern anyway.

Under a new name - i thought you might have learned how to spell Tecnica properly by now Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Plastic lasts for a long time....

Under a new name - i thought you might have learned how to spell Tecnica properly by now Wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depends on the Type of plastic and its exposure to UV rays.

Also, it's so damn tempting to put the H in Tecnica! Sometimes I just can help it so I feel the pain Under a new name!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jimmythefoot, I clean my boots with factor 30 suncream, will that help?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends if you get ones with replaceable toes and heels too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haggis_Trap, feck, I always get it wrong and can never be bothered checking. Tecnica just looks so wrong! Bl00dy Italians.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

hahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaa
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After about 6 years and 150 days, the plastics on my Rossi DH boots seem fine although the toe and heel are quite worn and the liners are baggy. I don't know if I'll be saying the same thing about my Scarpa Spirit touring boots come 2014 as the plastic is only about twice as thick as a Tesco carrier bag ...

Rossi boots ...

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They probably last as long as it takes you to decide that you fancy a shiny flasher new pair Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

No of course it won't!!!

Clean them with water my friend and use the Sun cream as an after applicant. lol Smile

Mind you, i think I remember you showering with suncream before skiing in April.....
snow report
Jimmythefoot, You've never been near me or a shower at anytime of year, dreamer. Feck and the BBC paid you to get married, bender.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, lol

Love your diplomatic approach. I have used your shower and I am sure there was sun cream in there.....
snow report
moffatross, That's kind of the point, use and mainly exposure to the elements change the plastics desired attributes, a by-product being that they become hardr wearing, but less elastic. Stiffer and more resistant, are not always the best thing. Rebound and flex will be reduced, fragile they become, however wear will be reduced, especially with the boots shown, not all boots are made of that kind of plastic.
snow report
Jimmythefoot, I don't know you, please leave me alone.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, You are such a muppet! Most Chelsea fans are..... Smile
ski holidays
Jimmythefoot, Feck if i could only find those old photos.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Which ones?

I told Gordon today that you rang me to personally say that you wanted to tell him how much you think of him and that you apologize if you haven't seen eye to eye in the past and that you want to buy him a drink.....
ha ha ha lol Smile

Back to the forum.....Why do people worry about the lifetime of ski boots, just get new ones every year.

You know you want too.....
latest report
Jimmythefoot, Small I maybe, but eye to eye with a cock shaped midget? Please
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

So the proof that turning is for losers?
latest report
fatbob, Or the rich.
snow conditions
My old boots lasted about 20 years on 1 week a year (I always took the liners out and dried them when I got home!). Finally they cracked in transit, which I discovered when I opened the bag in the hotel. I put them by the bin and every morning the cleaner (posh hotel!) placed them neatly by my bed, despite a massive crack in one. I left them at the end of the week.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what with the sloppy liners and skiing more aggressively these days, I haven't noticed them feeling stiffer, except when attempting to put them on in a frozen car park after being left in the boot overnight at -10C. Interesting what you said about the plastic type as it is noticeably different to most, almost a 'waxy' feel to it if that makes sense.

I'd also be very grateful if you could you tell me what contemporary equivalents there are to this boot.
latest report
moffatross, 20euros Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I skiied full time most of my boots would be pretty stuffed after 200 days. I did have one pair that lasted about 500 days but that was with three sets of liners. I was young, fit, about 90kgs and did ski hard. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Seems a very low number, struggling to quantify into skiing days but can't be many.

Example skiing 6 hours a day, 4 turns a minute (conservative?) = 1,440 flexs

Therefore life = 20 days!
latest report
stevew, Exactly! Laughing Stop turning!! This is why beginners replace their boot so quickly.
latest report
around 120 days (20 weeks of holiday skiing) for the liner and close on double that for the shell, but as it has been pointed out it all depends on how the boot fits, and how much walking you do across carparks and down to the pub in them
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy