Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Proprioception, head colds and the older skier

Poster: A snowHead
Just shocked myself. Decided that it's time to start doing those pre-winter exercises, including standing on one leg with eyes closed. Now I wouldn't claim ever to have been brilliant at this, but I was appalled at my performance this morning. Completely pathetic. I think - hope - it will improve rapidly with repetition but I'm suffering from a very heavy cold and am wondering whether this affects proprioception ('cos of the ears). Am I clutching at straws?

Proprioception definitely deteriorates with age - if neglected, at any rate and is something that older skiers probably need to focus on.

Any other old fogies tried standing on one leg with eyes closed recently? I imagine most of the young bloods can do it easily (I almost said standing on their heads....)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, my yoga teacher - a guy easily heading towards 60 and very agile for his age - told the class that doing yoga regularly will help improve your ability to stand on one leg (and this apparently keeps you young wink). but then again, doing any exercise regularly may help in the same way.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w,
Quote:

Any other old fogies tried standing on one leg with eyes closed recently?
Yep, I do it in my Pilates class most weeks and often at home eg when brushing my teeth. In the class, the experienced oldies - who've been doing it for years - are all fine, but without practice, even the younger people struggle. My problem is one-sidedness - also when doing one-legged ski exercises - but that's probably down to a damaged ankle.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, If you have a cold, you probably have catarrh and that will definitely affect your balance.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Find undressing while standing on one leg no problem when visual stimulus is present. In the dark (when OH is asleep and wouldn't thank me for turning the light on) is a very different matter. So must start practising in the dark for those white-out days so common in Scotland !
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, proprioreception (relative position of muscles/limbs to body) and balance are two different things. Standing on one leg with your eyes closed does involve both as well as removing visual position cues, but only balance derives from the balance mechanisms associated with the inner ear.

I wonder if this thread will lure Little Tiger?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, OK, so my proprioception is basically cr@p but my balance might improve when my head cold clears up? wink Both are definitely involved in my wobbliness - in the short time between being quite firmly balanced on the one foot, and being totally out of balance (shoulder up against bathroom wall or shower screen in my v small bathroom) I hadn't the slightest idea what my spare leg was up to.

Hurtle I am much better balanced on my left leg than my right (though the latter is undoubtedly stronger). I can ski one-footed on my left (on an easy slope wink) for quite a decent distance, with loads of turns, but not on my right.

I think I just have to practice a lot and I guess I should do 2 stands on my right foot for every one on my left. Sometimes very small bathrooms come in handy. I do that exercise whilst cleaning my teeth with my electric toothbrush. I did try combining it with holding the brush in my left hand the other day. that was positively life-threatening so I've dropped that one.

I'd be interested in Little Tiger's perspective. What is known about procioception and balance and ageing? Old people do fall over more and I know the NHS is investing in trying to reduce falls, as they are expensive to fix.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w,
Quote:

I did try combining it with holding the brush in my left hand the other day. that was positively life-threatening so I've dropped that one.

Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Close your eyes and touch your nose with one finger of each hand after waving them around a bit, then get someone to move your big toes up and down when you have your eyes closed. If you cannot tell which way the toes are moving, or you poke yourself in the eye, go and see someone. Otherwise Pilates and practice seems a good idea.

Oh - and your spare leg is in the sock drawer...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I did try combining it with holding the brush in my left hand the other day.

Shocked

er..a colleague at work told me off for walking round the corridor brushing my teeth...said how she had treated loads of kids with toothbrushes through the palate...maybe doing wobbly one leg stuff with a pointy hard thing in your mouth is a tad on the hurty might be more than a banged head and broken ankle kind of injury thing?

Just a thought ...

stoatsbrother, has hit the nail on the head.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother, damn, tea all over the keyboard. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MarjMJ, do you think it's more dangerous than one of my other balance exercises, which is to do the ironing standing on a bosu ball? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, why does standing on one leg with your eyes closed help skiing???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski,
Quote:

why does standing on one leg with your eyes closed help skiing???
It's a balance skill.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, why shouldn't it? A lot of skiing is about proprioreceptive feedback from legs, and often with assymetric loading.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, no idea, hence the question!
latest report
MarjMJ, yes, you're right, which is why I stopped doing it. wink

stoatsbrother, I can hit my noise unerringly with either hand. Not having anyone fiddling with my arthritic big toes though. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Hurtle, now I know what to do with that BOSU , trouble is I still hate ironing.
ski holidays
I always think of Hurtle when I do ironing (not that I do it very often...) but I've yet to try on a BOSU. Or on one leg with my eyes closed, though I do one leg with eye open.
ski holidays
kitenski, my immediate prompt for thinking again about this exercise was re-reading an excellent little book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treat-Your-Own-Knees-Responsiveness/dp/0897934229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1286982889&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

he recommended that particular exercise to improve proprioception. His recommendations are all soundly based on good research, and extremely simple.
snow report
pam w, when standing on one leg, try putting the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Don't know why, but it helps balance (as taught by my school PE teacher).
ski holidays
Quote:

ironing standing on a bosu ball? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

You are wicked Hurtle, Laughing
snow report
MarjMJ, I'm not joking!
snow conditions
Hurtle, Laughing Laughing Laughing I restrained myself - I knew you weren't.

I'll tell you what's really sad. This time last night I was sitting here in my ski boots (new zipfits....) watching the DVD of "Les Bronzés font du ski" whilst reading the script downloaded from the internet as the French is too rapid fire and colloquial for me to understand right off. But I wasn't on a BOSU ball.
ski holidays
pam w, honestly, the mental picture is boggling! Laughing Laughing For a couple of wrinklies, we do seem to do the weirdest things in the interests of skiing like the goddesses we undoubtedly are! wink
snow report
Quote:

MarjMJ, I'm not joking!

Shocked Toofy Grin
OMG.

Quote:

skiing like the goddesses we undoubtedly are

Haven't u missed 'deranged' before goddesses Toofy Grin
latest report
I've seen a marked improvement in ability to stand on one leg with eyes closed in the last three days. been practising, and cold getting better. By Christmas there'll be no stopping me.
latest report
Off to do the ironing, might get the BOSU out.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, well - did you avoid certain scalding? Shocked
ski holidays
Oh for gawds sake Shocked Idly opened this thread and have just realised I've read the entire thing whilst intermittently getting up and down from the chair to try all these things out, rather glad that the blinds are shut. What would the neighbours think? rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
Schuss in Boots, Laughing Laughing Laughing And how did you get on with standing on one leg with your eyes closed whilst ironing?
latest report
Schuss in Boots, Laughing don't worry. we all did the same as you *snigger*
snow report
Quote:

maybe doing wobbly one leg stuff with a pointy hard thing in your mouth

I just never get invited to that sort of party Sad
snow conditions
pam w, do you think we should run some classes? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
pam w, ......god bless one click ordering Very Happy I will give the book a go
latest report
pam w, I need a new ironing board... wink

Hurtle, Sign me up. Have discovered that I'm even worse at all the above than I am at one-legged skiing. Shocked
snow conditions
BTW does anyone still have Stocky's exercise programme.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy