Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 dollarrrs pleeze: how one should ski bumps...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Whitegold, mate, if skiing bumps hurts your knees - you can't ski.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about Als run at Taos. 1800ft of fall line with bumps that just keep growing as the season goes on. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't ski bumps particularly well, but I always enjoy them, they never intimidate me and I can safely pick up a fair amount of speed. In order of importance, these were things that made a difference for me when I was learning bumps. The list assumes that you're already a confident skier on smooth pistes.

- get fit before going on holiday because tired legs don't obey your mind's instructions. If you're unfit, leave the bumps for next year. Really.
- don't let your legs get too far apart or you'll do the splits and lose control
- plan your turns so that you exit onto the uphill edge of the next bump; that way, you'll use the mountain to naturally scrub off any excess speed
- pole plant very firmly but keep the pole close to you - again, because the terrain makes a distant pole plant an unpredictable one
- avoid long traverses. These unsettle your balance and make it difficult to initiate a turn; it's better to slow down and turn more often
- get some air from every bump just before you start your turn. Not because it'll help (it won't) but because it's such a waste of a good bump field to not have a little frisson of excitement!

Things that I've found make little difference to my bump skiing (despite much received wisdom to the contrary) are these:

- it doesn't matter whether you turn on the bumps, in the valleys or mid mogul. All of these strategies work well so don't fret about the rules
- Don't stress about flexing your knees and absorbing the bumps; you need to do this, but it's very difficult to achieve consciously. If you have a good stance on the smooth, you'll naturally adapt that to the bumps with a little practice
- for the same reason, don't worry too much about fore / aft weight distribution. If you get back, the results won't be pretty - but that's true wherever you ski. Get your stance right on easier terrain first
- I've never found that it helps to consciously drive in my tips before initiating a turn. Some people swear by this, though

I'm sure the pros on here will tell me that I have much of this wrong. If so, I don't care; for me, if there's no powder, bumps are what makes the sport worthwhile. I ski them dawn to dusk and love every moment of it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy