Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help needed - where to go in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

new to the forum and would really appreciate any help regarding Austria.

Myself and partner want to go away 1st or 2nd week of January to snowboard (only second time) with our 2 year old and grandparents.

The plan is that her grandparents are going to keep the little one occupied for the week whilst we get some boarding time.

Im pretty sure weve decided on Austria as it seems quite good value and the resorts look pretty picturesque.

Could anyone suggest a resort high enough to ensure good snow, preferably at resort level at this time of year but still large enough with enough facilities, eg swimming pool spa etc to keep the little one and grandparents occupied for some of the time.

Been looking at Kitzhubel & Zell am See due to their size but not sure if they are too low to ensure good snow.

There again been looking at some of the higher more snow sure resorts but they all look really small!!

Hopefully there is a happy medium or maybe im just asking too much, thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Chris.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Kitzbuehel;
2. Lech;
3. Zell am See.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chrisbeanie, I've visited Kitz (6 times) Zell/Kaprun (5 times) both are great picturesque resorts. Personally I'd go to Zell, plenty of stuff for non-skiers/riders to do also if the snow is poor you can go upstairs at the Kitsteinhorn glacier next door. Also your grandparents can accompany you up the glacier, plenty of foot passangers up there and three gondola rides take you right to the very top. Great views on a clear day. check out http://en.kitzsteinhorn.at/

Have a great time with whatever you choose.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chrisbeanie, Welcome to snowHead's

Depends what you mean by enough facilities? You mention swimming pool and spa, if that will be enough then most good 4* hotels in Austria will be equipped in that respect and you can choose a high resort like Obergurgl/Hochgurgl

If you are looking for more things to do out-with the hotel then you're on the right track with ZamS and Kitzbuehel. Either would be ideal as they are summer and winter resorts as well as being the main towns of their respective districts. I'm sure others will have some ideas for you but I cant think of any of the higher Austrian resorts that will have the same options for your family

ZamS and Kitz are low compared to many French resorts but bear in mind that in Austria this is fairly typical. I've been going to Zell for years and have never had a problem as most of the skiing is above 1400 metres. All but one of the valley runs are blacks and, as this is your second week on snow you will maybe not want to venture onto them. Since I've been going skiiing there I can only think of 2006/07 where things were looking bad right up until New Year. The more likely risk is that the town and valley floor are green and it is not so picturesque for your family.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chrisbeanie, how about the Gastein Valley... I think that would fit the bill on all fronts IMO after all their slogan appears to be "Ski, Mountains and Spa" Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ischgl.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Really appreciate the advice, thanks. I appreciate that predicting the weather is impossible but would the difference it altitude of Bad Gastein make it much more likely to get snow in the resort early to mid Jan. Ive only been to Val Thorens so have really limited experience to make a judgement on..
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chrisbeanie, well the skiing in the Valley goes up to about 2,700m i believe so you should be fine regardless of time in the season... i've never been myself but friends love it... history is no predictor but the snow history here indicates that other than the shocking 06/07 season Jan seems fine...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've skied every March (towards the end of the season) for the last five years in either Soll or Kitzbuehel and have never had an issue with snow conditions - maybe just a fluke though!! The Ski Welt is so big that we have always found something to ski, even on warmer days. I would agree with the above post in relation to Kitzbuehel - loads to do for non-skiers. Most of the hotels (as opposed to pensions) will have a wellness area with a pool, etc. And compared to higher Austrian resorts (Ischgl and St Anton) I think it would be a bit more family orientated. Can't comment on Zell as I've never been but couldn't praise The Ski Welt area, and Kitz in particular, more.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chrisbeanie, In January you can as good as ignore the altitude. As long as the season is average (or even slightly below) all of Austria's ski areas will be open... otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to build them! To put this in perspective... my season pass starts on November 6th!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chrisbeanie, If you have concerns go to www.skiclub.co.uk and consult the historical snow depths for the resorts you're considering. However I agree with flangesax, It's not for nothing that the season passes start in November. We've spent the last 4 Christmases in Austria and had no problems. Distance from the Gulf Stream seems to count for something in Austria.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy