Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bend Zee Knees Name Change suggestion

Poster: A snowHead
how about BayZee Knews

seems to me that the only thing that ever get talked about on BZK is BASI stuff, how about changing the topic title
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about the Fight Zone wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
first rule of fight zone...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, no even fancies a fight anymore let alone talking about skiing....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, Laughing I guess the main contenders have thrown out all their toys and gone home for good.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, wonder why that is ??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"5 dolllarrrs pleez"?

"5 Biiillllioonnn dolllarrs pleez"? given the state of the pound?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess the main contenders have had most of the fights and those of lesser ability/experience get told to use the search. You have to be fairly confident to post on here as derision is dealt out swiftly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tiffin, interesting.... i am surprised a bit to hear you feel that there is/was a lot of derision...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tiffin, 10 dolllarrs for a bit more derision if you like it?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but it is difficult to break into to any of the 'expert' discussion around here, not just the skiing ones.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tiffin, what like which snow tyres you should put on your range rover (they are the ONLY 4x4's that really work you know, only idiots or essex hairdressers would drive anything else, etc etc ) wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret wrote:
range rover (they are the ONLY 4x4's that really work you know, only idiots or essex hairdressers would drive anything else ) wink

Almost true, you forgot Land Rovers wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was going to suggest something similar, seems to have become the web outreach mission of BASI. Testify to the power of the Central Theme!!!

Basically the internet is a shoite place to try to learn about ski technique (apart from Vimeo/youtube etc) and a forum is even worse given the opportunity for misunderstanding created by use of the simplest of terms. Plus most answers in practice should revert to "take a lesson with a good instructor".

There's a decentish semi technical thread on TGR at the moment discussing preconceptions among PSIA instructors about rocker skis as well as all the other usual abuse if you want a decent fight wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, i never could get into tgr the few times i looked at it was way to yankee for me with too much dude speak to take it seriously. i go to epic very occasionally for geeky techy stuff but the time zone difference always puts me off...
snow report
I think epic is too often a PSIA instructor pissing contest no matter how politely its all dressed up and inclined to be technogeeky. TGR doesn't really do technique at all. Even though there are a lot of very good skiers on the board you'd never know it as pisstaking and/or gear obsession is the order of the day and I suspect they go to epic to release their inner tech weeny. The balance here seemed to be about right but its died a death as you've identified.
snow conditions
ha ha. It should be like the BBC, with a footnote to say "Other Ski Instructor Associations are available" Laughing

but actually it's a shame there are not more technical discussions any more. Despite all the abuse he got, I used to enjoy the likes of veeeight's posts on here, though it was the infamous EISTL thread killed the whole 'technical' thing.
snow conditions
Quote:

The balance here seemed to be about right

yeah i kinda thought so but the non geeks killed it off for us anoraks IMO... i tend to agree its tough to learn how to ski by reading a book or a thread but you can get a lot of useful info on how skiing works from the written word...
latest report
Has this thread title got too many 'E's' in it?
latest report
Many a technical thread on here has got me standing in odd poses and making swooshing noises so feel free to don your anorak.
snow report
tiffin, okay just for you i will condense the 27 page inner tip lead thread in one visual exercise as to how much tip lead is a good thing...

if you increase your edge angles your inside tip will naturally lead... try it at home by standing next to a chair, pick up one leg and place it on the chair simulating skiing on a steep slope or fast with high edge angles. note how far forward or back the front of your foot on the chair is compared to the lower one snowHead
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
tiffin, okay just for you i will condense the 27 page inner tip lead thread in one visual exercise as to how much tip lead is a good thing...

if you increase your edge angles your inside tip will naturally lead...

No it won't wink
snow conditions
skimottaret,
Quote:

the non geeks killed it off for us anoraks
That's a bit ungrateful, considering the time I spent proofing your glossary - in which you then promptly lost interest. Sad Maybe that should get a final tidy-up, lots of people seemed to find it quite useful, no?
ski holidays
Hurtle, anyone who painstakingly read through the mess of words i put together definitely puts you firmly in the anorak camp and slight geek status wink you are part of the team not the problem..

it took around a year to put that together i "promptly" lost interest once it was done and i got bored .... snowHead
ski holidays
I think the glossary is very useful, applicable and something I have not seen done in the same way elsewhere - I think it requires a SH commendation.
latest report
Megamum, yet another bit of commercial spamming by your friends at Inside Out Skiing. wink
snow report
skimottaret,
Quote:

firmly in the anorak camp and slight geek status you are part of the team not the problem..
Not according to one or two of the instructors when things got ugly in BZK. In fact, I was accused by one of causing another to leave the forum, because I dared - from the deep valley of my ignorance - to criticize the super-geekery of some of the discussion. rolling eyes Mind you, the accuser now seems to have departed and that was definitely nothing to do with me.wink

Quote:

yet another bit of commercial spamming by your friends at Inside Out Skiing.
I bloody well hope that's a joke, and that this was not an actual criticism that was levelled at you. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Surely at the very least BZK should these days be FZA (Flex Zeeee Ankles...) ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother, good point, well argued.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
stoatsbrother, good point, well argued.
+1
ski holidays
Hurtle, I think that criticism has surfaced in the past. B.t.w. from what I've seen you are not alone in attracting missiles when you say something that is not appreciated by the experts or those with a commercial axe to grind. It's one of the less savoury aspects of the forums at times. There are a times a cache of people that seem incapable of arguing with facts and instead resort to a rather more 'personal' approach to criticism. I was once told on a management course that everyone is entitled to an opinion, you might not necessarily agree with it, but you can't stop them from having it nor should you be able to object to their entitlement to hold it.
snow report
skimottaret, I rarely ever read this section any more, largely because it does seem to have become all about how to go about getting qualifications. So for me it is no longer relevant, as I am not about to do that. But I do understand that this is the right place to talk about BASI etc etc.

Having crossed the Rubicon of understanding how bike gears work this summer, I thought to my self that maybe I would start having a think about how skis 'work'. But in agreement with some other posters am pretty loathe to do it in case I get ridiculed or made to feel like a spanner for not having used the 'search' function.

I also understand that there is always going to be a great difficulty in trying to explain a motor skill in words. And I would like to have advice from folks who have the experience too.

Off to search for how radius of ski affects turns - that's the one that always gets me!
snow conditions
Megamum, well, ye-e-ss, but I can see that voicing an opinion on a subject of which one has very little knowledge can be quite annoying. The 'entitlement' of which you speak should be based on a modicum of knowledge or experience.
latest report
Hurtle, +1

Megamum, for instance I would not have dreamed of posting in the recent thread where you nobly dug someone out of a word/excel hole. Sure I use both daily - but a seasoned opinion was needed Wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, stoatsbrother, Very Happy snowHead Cool
ski holidays
Megamum, perhaps it is time for you to change you signature then wink
snow conditions
Not sure what the problem is. Despite having a .com address this site is essentially British, having been born from the public closure of the SCGB forums. So why the outcry when the technique section on a Britsh based snowsports forum is dominated by conversation on or about the Britsish Association of Snowsports Instructors. What else would you expect?
snow report
smithski, no outcry - perhaps a feeling that it can be a bit more than that?
latest report
I also meant to mention the BASI does not have it's own forum so this is probably the nearest thing to it
latest report
tiffin wrote:
I guess the main contenders have had most of the fights and those of lesser ability/experience get told to use the search. You have to be fairly confident to post on here as derision is dealt out swiftly.

LOL, ever visited the TGR forums?
fatbob wrote:
I think epic is too often a PSIA instructor pissing contest no matter how politely its all dressed up and inclined to be technogeeky,

Maybe SHs should be a BASI instructor pissing contest forum then? Wink
skimottaret wrote:
yeah i kinda thought so but the non geeks killed it off for us anoraks IMO... i tend to agree its tough to learn how to ski by reading a book or a thread but you can get a lot of useful info on how skiing works from the written word...

For some yeah but speaking personally as mainly a visual and kinisthetic learner all too much written word and/or talk does for me without any visual cues is give me a headache and turn me off - I often found the hair splitting technical discussions on here were like that to be honest, even though, as an instructor, I'm teaching people that kinda stuff all the time. But when I'm teaching I'm doing, seeing and talking rather than just the one. To be honest I suspect for any non instructor who is a similar kind of learner all the talk is probably more confusing and counter productive than anything else!

It would IMHO be good though to have one place which is clearly earmarked for instructors and one where non-instructors can ask the sorts of questions that used to be asked in BZK given the latter seems to have mostly stopped happening and it would help the people who do learn though reading and writing ... or just enjoy endless spliting of hairs Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy