Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Aosta vs Dolomites for Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to do a trip with Mrs A over Easter (happens to coincide with our anniversary.) Skiing isn't the only priority but it would be nice to have some decent stuff available. I've found hotels which fit the bill in both areas so the question is how easily accessible decent skiing will be. I don't mind driving for up to 30 mins but any more than that is too much.

Val d'Aosta has lots of options so would be a safe choice IMO. I could even get the Mrs started on ski touring/ibex bothering with Gran Paradiso nearby. I know that you have the Ortler area near the Dolomites which has year-round skiing but are the classic areas in the Dolomiti Superski still going to be operating that late? It looks quite a long drive from (say) Colfosco to Val Senales but would be good to hear what the options are.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aosta itself is a lovely city if you fancy romanticising Mrs A, and there should be decent water levels to raft some of the better sections of the Dora Baltea. No idea if that makes any difference, just a couple of extra things to do in Vall d'Aosta.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dolomites closing days here: http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/4910.pdf

Looks like Aosta for you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swirly, cheers... there are a few places open til 25/4 so not a completely open and shut case...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, the vast majority of the linked area is shut though: Alta Badia, Val Gardena and Arraba. Looks like you could base yourselves in Cortina which could be nice, I've only been there in Summer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, I've been to the Sella Ronda area in 2nd week of March and found very different conditions:

In 2002 south facing areas were grassy with pistes as strips of white and valley runs were slushy by the afternoon, in high shady spots there was still good snow (Arabba-the north facing slopes below Porta Vescovo were the best).

In 2004 it felt like full winter, with plenty of fresh snow right down to the village level (1500m), the spring usually produces more snow than midwinter in this dry part of the Alps, but obviously the sun is getting stronger.

They will go to great lengths moving snow around to try to keep the Sella Ronda links open till Easter (some are vulnerable to sun damage and Easter is quite late in 2011) but that is pretty much the end of the season. Late March/early April is a good time for some of the high altitude off-piste itinerary routes around the Sella massif, snowcover is usually good in the chutes and gulleys and over on the Marmolada glacier. There are some trip reports of these on the TGR forum.

Because of the moderate altitude (most of the skiing is between 2000-2500m) and the possibility of mild weather in the Spring, I would advise trying somewhere further north with more reliable late season conditions (Arlberg? Ischgl? Obergurgl? Or somewhere with a big glacier to head to if conditions are poor low down? Solden? Stubai? Hintertux? Kaprun?) unless you can leave the decision till nearer the time, when you've got more idea about the conditions.

As to Val d'Aosta, the only place I've been is Cervinia, it gets full sun but it goes up really high (3500m) so could be good for a Spring trip, you can head over to the shadier Zermatt slopes too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
luigi, cheers

from val d'aosta i figure i can get to Courmayeur, the Monte Rosa region, Cervinia and places like Pila (ok some of those might push the 30 minute drive rule) so I have a pretty good selection
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:
Swirly, cheers... there are a few places open til 25/4 so not a completely open and shut case...

Mmmm, looking at those closing dates, looks like the Sella Ronda linked area is shut down on the 10th April, I guess it's because Easter 2011 falls on the 24th, one day short of its latest possible date. In a year when Easter falls earlier it would all be kept open.

Just the shady part of Arabba, Belvedere above Canazei, Plan de Corones/Kronplatz (probably just the upper half/north facing runs) and Cortina will be a cablecar ride up before the skiing starts (I'm sure there will be spring flowers in town), you'll have to think carefully about where to base yourself to make the most of that meagre skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, yep, Aosta gives you a good selection of resorts. http://www.crevacol.it/ is worth a look to along with a few other small ones. Chamois is another small one that's charming.

http://www.regione.vda.it/turismo/prima_di_partire/in_tempo_reale/webcam_e.asp for more info and webcams.

Not been to the Dolomites so can't offer a comparison.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, even in Aosta suspect a lot of resorts will be closed by then although Hellbroner and Cervinia access to Zermatt glaciers offer some mighty tasty off piste options if you can get a "morning off". When we stayed in Courmayeur (lovely town) we were recommended the nearby Pre St Didier thermal baths although didn't make it. I think they do some "romantic" evening dinner and spa in the moonlight options.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting report for Val d'Aosta http://www.welove2ski.com/snow-report/Val%20d'Aosta/Snow%20Geisha/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy