Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Child Specific Board Sizing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, does anyone know anything about board sizes for kids / adolescents, or know anywhere that does? In particular can the sizing guide at FrostyRider can be trusted at the extremes?

My 5'4", 47Kg, Size 8 boot wearing 14 year old comes out as needing about a 140 for freeride, and a 135 for freestyle. While I realise he's very light for his height compared to an adult, this seemed quite short?

I was thinking about putting him on my old 150 Burton this year but now I'm a bit worried. Confused

Any advice welcome, so thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
baggyboy, i'd say weight is more important than height when it comes to board length. if the board is too long, he won't have the power to turn it the way it's intended. but then, he'll probably be able to ride a 150 fine by the end of the year...

in the meantime, if you're wanna chat to someone, here are the details for two snowboarding stores in bristol: two seasons or bsbsnowboarding. they may not be in bath, but hopefully they'll be the closest stores if you do wanna go have a look at boards.

and btw, i'd contact burton and tell them it's a right pita to find out the info you're wanting on their site.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Others may disagree, but I think board length is related almost as much to ability than height/weight. Granted you have to start off with some kind of baseline, but it's no more than a starting reference.

Where is he in the curve?

If he's learning, a 150 would be a little long for his weight/height, if he's tanking around, maybe not.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the answer. He will be on his third week in Feb. Last year on a 140 he was fine on the blues and reds around Meribel and on the small jumps and rails in the Moonpark. But to complicate stuff I've earmarked that board for his younger brother. He's a similar weight, but shorter and can link turns on the nursury / easy blues, but he had a couple of days riding a 135 hire board last year so I'm not as worried about the step up.

Thanks too for the store guide, but I feel guilty going to shops for information, since I'm not going to buy new boards for kids, as they'll only last a seson or two with the way they grow. However I'll be watching ebay to see if something better and cheaper than a shop hire board crops up, hence the request.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
my 14 year old 50ishkg, size 7 wearing son used a mid 1990's burton clash 150 last year, round morzine red runs. no probs.

persuaded me to cough up for a new board this year also a 150 clash. new ones are easier to turn but less rigid when going slowly

i have no idea what i've just typed above, but these are the opinions of said teenager.
hope this helps.
maria
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
graywiggle wrote:
i have no idea what i've just typed above, hope this helps. maria

Join the club wink Laughing

And welcome to snowHeads
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My 10 (nearly 11) year old daughter, fairly average in terms of height and build but probably a load more serious about her sports than most kids her age (finishing 3rd in the district cross country with half the entry being a year older than her was a rubbish performance according to her!) is happily boarding on a 139 just mucking about at the Tamworth fridge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My daughter who is 10 going on 11 and tall for her age is riding a burton feelgood smalls, v rocker, 136 i think. Nice and light and bendy, and seems to float well in the deep stuff.

I thought it wouldn't be that fast, but she's more into jibbing around, but as it turned out I struggle to keep up with her these days. And I've got 15 years/70 odd days a season under my belt. Seems to go well in deeper snow and off piste too.

I normally buy the kids boards out of season, get them a seasons use, fix them up, and sell them for what I paid for them the following year - works out cheap for me, but boards in NZ are pricey, so importing from the states allows me to do that.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hang11, davkt, davkt, great to hear about the girls doing so well. Proud dads, eh? snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Definitely proud, but it's cost me a heap of dollars to fund two kids to snowboard since they were 4 years old - they're both getting 40 or 50 days a season in, so after 6 or 7 seasons they've got a fair bit of mountain time under their belts, and living near the snow, most of their mates are similar, so they all push eachother.

My wife doesn't even try to keep up with them any more, just picks up the pieces when it all inevitably turns to custard.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the replies folks, all very useful.
Especially you Maria, and that makes me feel much more relaxed. It also sounds like there's a spare board in your house, so maybe you should get out and find out just how rigid it is for yourself this winter. Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy