Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

winter tyres advice required

Poster: A snowHead
gvj wrote:
ThanksBasil
Yes, the handbook advises only fitting snowchains to tyres with R16 so they must be ok on the car.
Quote:

Surely 205/55/16 is a smaller dialmeter than 215/55/16.

No no - the first figure refers to the how wide the tyre tread is - only the later two figures refer to diameter so the two sizes have the same diameter. How have you found the set-up?

205/55R16 has an overall diameter of 631.9mm

215/55R16 has an overall diameter of 642.9mm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sbirring wrote:
gvj,
Quote:

I appreciate the theory that the overall diameter will be the same and that narrow tyres are better in snow but has anyone out there taken this route

I'm doing the same. The current tyres are 285/45R19 on the back and 255/50/R19 on the front.
Recommended winter tyre size is 255/55R18 all round.

Narrower winter tyres will be better on snow covered tarmac, it's only when you're driving on bottomless snow that you need really wide tyres.

255/55R18 is a very common size for Discovery 2 and Range Rover P38, so there should be plenty of choice and availability.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

gvj, The 55% is the ratio of height to width, so they are not the same.
Quote:

No no - the first figure refers to the how wide the tyre tread is - only the later two figures refer to diameter so the two sizes have the same diameter.

Apologies all round - something I knew once!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just heard an ad for Continental winter tyres on Classic FM - talking about lack of grip below 7 degrees - I think this is the first such ad I've heard of. Are winter tyres becoming more mainstream in the UK?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Given recent winters - quite probably!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w,Yep, seems like it - my mate has just bought a new (ahem..) BMW and they now offer to store a set of winter tyres at their depot for free with a changeover when necessary...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Are winter tyres becoming more mainstream in the UK?

Definitely true to say that talking about them on the internet has become as mainstream as ipuke docks on hifis, car dashboards & microwave ovens etc. If I didn't know better I'd reckon that Steve Jobs himself was MD of KwikFit.

I remember as an 18 year old having to ride to work through many weeks of nasty 80's winter weather on my trusty Honda Camino moped. Snow up to the pedals and sizzling on the exhaust at times. If only I'd have known about winter tyres back then, I'd maybe still be alive now. Oh ...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
well the winter tyres are working well in newcastle tonight. Just driven my car (without) followed by my wife's (with) and you could tell the difference in the snowy / slushy roads
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's hoping they're worth it. One set of Hankook Ice Bears waiting to go on tomorrow, courtesy of Camskil.

they look remarkably like the tyres my dad had on his Morris Minor. He bought that car in 1962 and had snowchains in 1963, as did a lot of other folk back then.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Winter tyres all the way in the winter....they make such a difference!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting today I think, just traded my car with new Vector 4 Seasons for a new one fitted with big fat Michelin Pilots, back to sliding around or taking the Espace or Land Rover to work.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moffatross wrote:
pam w wrote:
Are winter tyres becoming more mainstream in the UK?

Definitely true to say that talking about them on the internet has become as mainstream as ipuke docks on hifis, car dashboards & microwave ovens etc. If I didn't know better I'd reckon that Steve Jobs himself was MD of KwikFit.

I remember as an 18 year old having to ride to work through many weeks of nasty 80's winter weather on my trusty Honda Camino moped. Snow up to the pedals and sizzling on the exhaust at times. If only I'd have known about winter tyres back then, I'd maybe still be alive now. Oh ...

No such things as winter tyres back then, as tyres were different.

The modern tyre in the 80's had massive tread blocks, lots of water channels, was narrow and the cars were light.

Modern tyres these days are effectively F1 grooved tyres in ultra wide sizes on heavy cars.

Still wouldn't like to have done it on a moped though Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mitchelin alpin worked well for the drive from newcastle to bishop auckland, shame the traffic was such a nightmare, a 45 minute journey took 2 hours 30 mins.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chrisb, I was thankful I was only working a mile from home this morning, and did not have to travel to Bishop Auckland myself.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jon-, In the late 60's I rallied for the Rootes/Chrysler group and on snow we use Hakkapeliitta tyres which were definitely winter tyres designed for snow. However I will agree that the first of todays breed was the Goodyear Utragrip Contact back in 1979 which had the early version of the sticky type rubber compound that is now used, at the time I had studs added to my set because I was not convinced by the marketing people. I am a total covert now Blush
snow report
Dypcdiver, rallying on snow and ice, now that sounds like a lot of fun Smile

My point was (as I'm sure you fully understand), tyres and cars have changed so much since the 80's that what used to work in the past, no longer exists.

I'm off to dream about rallying on studs snowHead
snow conditions
I just read a report in the newsletter from our local "apartment owners association" in France that Haute Savoie - which manages 3000 km of roads - had decided to reduce its expenditure on salt so motorists could expect to have to drive more often on snowy roads. Given the financial climate it's quite likely that Savoie will follow suit (and the communes who manage the more local road network might do the same, I suppose).
ski holidays
Well to give an initial report on the WR G2s

They gave good grip on a layer of snow up the Glenmore road on Thursday morning. Overtook an Audi clearly struggling and there was a van stopped with the driver putting on chains. The road beyond the Glenmore gates up the mountain was well cleared, praise to CGM for that Smile

Trying to feel out the performance of what is/isn't possible and found slight understeer that I wouldn't expect on black roads but magic all the same. Pulling away in both the Cairngorm car park covered in snow, and my own car park this morning was easy with zero wheel spin. In both situations last year it was a gently-gently in 2nd gear job.

Braking performance good and didn't ever feel a skid however I've not had to avoid anything yet Laughing

Well impressed Cool
snow report
andytb, Cheers for the review. Haven't had them fitted yet (tenner a tyre local) but mine came through yesterday http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=69700&highlight=

Should be good on a Scooby for the mountains Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy