Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

winter tyres advice required

Poster: A snowHead
Is it feasible or is it dangerous to mix winter tyres and standard tyres on a car ? For example, could you have winter tyres on the front and standard tyres on the rear ( or vice versa) If this is feasible what would be the best for a front wheel drive car?
The reason I ask is that 2 new tyres will be needed for the upcoming MOT and we have a couple of drives to our ski place this winter. So rather than buy 2 new standard tyres and then 4 winter tyres I am trying to economise
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
not answers but i am just thinking the same thing, please keep us informed with what you come up with.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
loatie, I'm sure you could but, your Winter Tyres will seriously wear out come the spring again. While I appreciate that 4 tyres is a big outlay you only use them 6-months of the year, then switch back to normal tyres. So they last twice as long.

I bought a set of Winter Tyres last year and will swap over to them soon.

Even just in the UK they are worth their weight in gold - in icy conditions I had no probs and my neighbours were hitting trees and lamposts
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can have 2 winter tyres as long as they are both on the same axle (ie. both on front or both on rear)

It makes sense to fit them to the driven wheels for better traction....

However

It is safer to have better tyres on the rear wheels (even with front wheel drive cars, and not just in winter) than on the front.

Testing has shown that having less grip on the rear can cause vehhicles to spin (over steer)
Less grip on the fronts and the vehicle will under steer. This is easier to control in the real world hence most cause having a degree of understeer when pushed to the limit.

What I would do is have 4 winter tyres and leave them on all year round.
At temps below 7 degrees and in the wet, the winter tyres will offer substantially more grip.

In the British summer they are virtually as good as summer tyres, and the winter & wet weather advantage outways anything else.

Most vehicles have "all season tyres" which are a comprimise between the 2 anyway so not 100% perfect for any season!

On my vehicle, I've got a full set of winters on all year round, and have done so for many years now!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

In the British summer they are virtually as good as summer tyres, and the winter & wet weather advantage outways anything else.

Do they Puzzled In my experience most UK cars have summer tyres not All Season, All Season tyres will generally have mountain and/or snowflake symbol on.

A good place for advice and buying is mytyres.co.uk
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
loatie, good question. when we first came out here we went into a big tyre place in sallanches to get some snow tyres and being complete beginners just asked the guy what he would recommend. We would have been ready to pay for 4, but he assured us that 2 on the drive wheels would be OK. He also told us they had max speed rating of 50 mph.

Hmm. So much for local knowledge. We now know better and use 4 winter tyres with speed rating far higher than I am ever likely to drive - I think they're 130 mph. You live and learn. I lost the rear end, did 180 degree skid and came to rest looking straight back down the road. It was scary - and I was going super-slow round a left hand bend when it happened. I remembered what I'd learned about skids, nothing was coming, and it all ended without drama (I drove straight back down to a safe spot and put the snow chains on). The advice from the experts here seems to be that you really need 4 snow tyres and my own experience bears that out.

A recent thread here also suggested that if 2 of the snow tyres are newer than the others, the new ones should go on the non drive wheels (ie the rear, for most of us).

We get the tyres changed twice a year and have tracking etc checked at the same time (bad conditions and mucky roads here tend to throw out the tracking, it seems). With 4 good snow tyres we very rarely need the chains now (never go out without them though...)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
loatie, I've used winter tyres for the last few years. I'm not aware of any UK legislation that precludes mixing them. Having searched the net, as I'm sure you have, I cannot find a recommendation for doing it but plenty of links that say do not!
I had heard the 'loosing' the rear end' tales, even with putting new tyres on the front but leaving worn tyres on the rear, let alone mixing winter and summer tyres.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 10-10-10 20:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I just carry chains in the car from Nov. onwards.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My understanding is that it is dangerous to mix winter and summer tyres. That is understable enough, for the whole point of the winter tyres is that they provide better braking when temperatures are below 7°C. And having different braking on the two axes sounds like a sure way of getting into a skid!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is all very confusing! I have chains as well and would obviously put them on the front (drive) wheels when needed so would have expected to put my 2 new snow tyres on the front as well. If I pursue this course of action and buy 2 snow tyres for now, should I therefore put them on the rear and put up with occasionally having to use the chains on the front?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
charlichoo, an interesting take on it, I would posit that you want the best tyres on the driving tyres as otherwise you might not get anywhere (and on a FWD car they'll be the primary braking tyres too) - and if you're at the limit where your lateral speed is going to overwhelm your tyres grip, your driving too fast.

Not being silly, I know that if I can't start and stop, I can't go round corners terribly quickly either.

Anyway, all garages we go to put the best tyres on the front wheels (plus we rotate year to year) even though we have switchable/auto 4wd.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
weeSKI, for most people who drive to France, carrying chains is fine and you will probably be fine on normal UK summer tyres. I did it like this for 10 years!

loatie, I can only repeat what I've said above, yes it will cost to start with, but they will last twice as long.

You WILL notice the difference in the UK during the winter - this year was snowier than normal but we were getting up roads that were defeating 4*4s on summer tyres in VW Sharan!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a thread on this a while ago and have also taken advice from the local garage who knows what they are talking about. Their advice was not to mix and they should be ok in a British summer (well up north anyway), just watch out for excessive wear
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:
loatie...Winter Tyres will seriously wear out come the spring again.
Not my experience at all. Left mine on all summer and I have probably covered 10k since April. Not measured the difference in tread (because I have a life) but visually they seem to be almost untouched. Not experiencing more road noise or ride harshness either. Rated to 130mph and cheaper than the alternative summer tyre. Vredestein Wintrac 4xtreme - I recommend 'em.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I asked this same question last year, and was told by spyderman that winter tyres on the front only (front wheel drive car) is dangerous.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1405121&highlight=winter+tyres#1405121

And while I didn't find very much, this video does seem to prove the point:

http://youtube.com/v/EdtAm7RsTmE&feature=related
ski holidays
charlichoo wrote:

Most vehicles have "all season tyres" which are a comprimise between the 2 anyway so not 100% perfect for any season!

Not in Britain they don't.

Most vehicles here have standard "summer" tyres.
latest report
under a new name, advice on this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66639&highlight=tyres suggested newest tyres on the rear.
snow conditions
pam w, interesting, not what either our garage in CH or FR does, so far they've rotated front to back and left to right each time, and (our car has a similar drive system to yours I think - FWD going AWD when required?) new snow tyres went on front.

In addition, although chains are not advised for the car, if they have to be used, it's front wheels only against risk of screwing up the central diff. (or something).
ski holidays
I actually think this is ridiculous. If you need winter tyres, you need four matching winter tyres (unless your steed is a Reliant Robin). In the overall scheme of things, buying another two tyres is neither here nor there. It amazes me that people can think of skimping on their only point of contact with the road. The German motoring press do loads of tyre tests and, for example, test M+S winter tyres (which can sometimes be a summer tyre with M+S stamped on the side) v. M+S+Snowflake winter tyres and difference is stark when comparing braking distances and ability to pull away on snow. UK press don't seem to bother with it because tyres are "boring" but, as all good snowHeads know well, they are more important than your ski helmet or whether your inner ski tip is leading or not snowHead
snow report
loatie, Mixing Winter & Summer tyres is dangerous.

Here's a video showing the mix of All season tyres and winter tyres. Remember All season tyres are far more capable in winter than a standard summer tyre, the results are pretty shocking and they'd be even worse for a Winter/Summer mix.

http://youtube.com/v/rzB7hpWhqIA

Spend the extra and buy 4.

If you fit winter tyres to the front only of a FWD car, you'll have the rear end overtaking the front under braking.
Fit winter tyres to the rear of a RWD car and you'll have no steering.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 10-10-10 21:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
under a new name, our car is basic, full time front wheel drive only. I am fully convinced about 4 snow tyres, but maybe the jury is still out on which wheels should have a pair of new ones. But having had such duff advice in Sallanches when we started, I am no longer so trusting in so-called "expert" advice.

I'm not sure they're fully rotatable - they are directional? I'm getting out of my depth here and the tyres are a long way away right now, so I can't check.

There's always something new to learn about winter tyres, I find. wink
ski holidays
pam w, You're correct. In your case new tyres to be fitted on the rear. Reasons: to avoid uncontrollable understeer, through the rears having more grip than the driven/sterred front wheels. To avoid tyres being on the car for an excessive period of time, as tyres have shelf life - rear tyres wear far more slowly tan front tyres on a FWD car.

under a new name, Be careful to avoid large differences in tread depth between tyres on vehicles with 4WD, especially those using viscous or electronic differentials. Drive is sent to the rear wheels when a difference in road speed is detected, normally through the driven wheels spinning because of lack of traction. Having excessively worn tyres mixed with new tyres will alter the rolling circumference of the tyres and will lead to different wheel rotational speeds even if you have full traction on a dry road. This could confuse the electronics into sending drive to the wrong axle, which could cause damage to the transmission.
Volvo XC90 are particularly susceptible to this type of damage.
latest report
The majority of drivers will not have a clue if they have summer or all season tyres fitted to their cars.
All season tyres DO NOT have a snowflake on them.
In the UK it is unwise to fit summer tyres to your car for all year round use.

As I've said in my first post, fit the better tyres to the rear unless you enjoy waltzing with your car!

Summer tyres / All Season Tyres / M+S Tyres / Winter Tyres are 4 different kind of tyres but people often get them confused.
I've even had an independant tyre place try and sell me an M+S tyre as a Winter tyre, but luckily I know the difference.
The rubber compound of a winter tyre is totally different to M+S tyres.

A lot of motorists select tyres based either on price, or what the garage recommends. And more often than not a garage will recommend whatever tyre thay make most money on!

This is a very complicated subject, and one that cannot be given a simple answer to.
Internet forums are not always the best place for advice, more so when your safety is at risk.
latest report
I completely agree that all four wheels should be fitted with winter tyres, if for the only reason that you may get a puncture. In which case you can swap the winter tyres around to fit the drive wheels as necessary, unless of course we get into the "what about a spare winter tyre?" debate.

Many cars have space saver wheels which you would then fit to a non drive wheel/corner, moving that winter tyre to the respective drive wheel. Those who use standard tyres with chains (2WD) would not fit a 2nd set of chains to the non drive wheels (of course not) so the risk of over/understeer remains.

If you were on standard tyres and for, say, your MOT, you need two new ones you would probably only fit two, and not four and quite often people fit whatever they can get, not alway fitting the same tyre model all round, without any ill consequence.

I fit four winter tyres and have a full size (standard) spare, if then I get a puncture I have adequate scope to move the winter tyres around to the drive wheels and can fit a proper tyre for driving the autoroute back to the ferry.

And surely always, always fit your best tyres to the drive wheels.

I'll get me coat...
snow report
Quote:

I'll get me coat...

and throw it under the tyres, presumably, to get a bit of grip.
snow report
pam w, Luckily it's chainmail.
snow report
charlichoo wrote:
The majority of drivers will not have a clue if they have summer or all season tyres fitted to their cars.
True
Quote:
All season tyres DO NOT have a snowflake on them.
Wrong, Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons, (which I have) are marked both with the "Snowflake & M+S markings. fixed your long link for you
Quote:
In the UK it is unwise to fit summer tyres to your car for all year round use.
Pretty much 100% of UK new cars are supplied OEM with Summer tyres.

Quote:
As I've said in my first post, fit the better tyres to the rear unless you enjoy waltzing with your car!
Correct. for FWD.

Quote:
Summer tyres / All Season Tyres / M+S Tyres / Winter Tyres are 4 different kind of tyres but people often get them confused.
I've even had an independant tyre place try and sell me an M+S tyre as a Winter tyre, but luckily I know the difference.
The rubber compound of a winter tyre is totally different to M+S tyres.
A Winter or an All-Season tyre is just as likely to carry a M+S rating, the M+S rating has nothing to do with the tyre's compound, more to do with it's tread design. There are plenty of Winter Tyres that also carry the M+S marking, also plenty of All-season tyres that carry M+S marking.

The rubber compound is very different between Winter(high Silicone content) and Summer tyres.

Quote:
This is a very complicated subject, and one that cannot be given a simple answer to.
Internet forums are not always the best place for advice, more so when your safety is at risk.

I don't think tyres are a complicated subject at all.
snow report
I'm not sure what tyres were on my hire car in Canada but I drove all over the Rockies during one Feb in it during all types of snowy weather.

If there's one thing that motorbiking has taught me... it doesn't matter what vehicle you have... its only contact with the road is a tiny patch of rubber.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
...Not my experience at all. Left mine on all summer and I have probably covered 10k since April. Not measured the difference in tread (because I have a life) but visually they seem to be almost untouched. Not experiencing more road noise or ride harshness either. Rated to 130mph and cheaper than the alternative summer tyre. Vredestein Wintrac 4xtreme - I recommend 'em.

So you seem to be saying that Vredestein Wintrac 4xtreme are all-season tyres. In which case, why do Vredestein sell summer tyres? This site suggests a reason:

Quote:
On damp or wet roads, tyres grip differently - and the braking distance is substantially longer, which means the question of the right tyres and the temperature is even more important. Over 7C - between Easter and October - traditional summer tyres are truly in their element. Between October and Easter - Cold weather winter tyres show distinct safety advantages.
snow report
Quote:

Be careful to avoid large differences in tread depth between tyres on vehicles with 4WD

Yes, I have some experience of that with a vehicle (of somewhat high performance) where one puncture necessitated 4 new tyres. Ouch!!
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
...Not my experience at all. Left mine on all summer and I have probably covered 10k since April. Not measured the difference in tread (because I have a life) but visually they seem to be almost untouched. Not experiencing more road noise or ride harshness either. Rated to 130mph and cheaper than the alternative summer tyre. Vredestein Wintrac 4xtreme - I recommend 'em.

So you seem to be saying that Vredestein Wintrac 4xtreme are all-season tyres. In which case, why do Vredestein sell summer tyres? This site suggests a reason:

Quote:
On damp or wet roads, tyres grip differently - and the braking distance is substantially longer, which means the question of the right tyres and the temperature is even more important. Over 7C - between Easter and October - traditional summer tyres are truly in their element. Between October and Easter - Cold weather winter tyres show distinct safety advantages.

An answer to your comment from the MD of Vredestein. Better if running one set of tyres to run Winter all year than Summer all year. I run Vredestein Wintrac's all year and get about 35k miles out of them. Mixing Winter and Summer is not advisable.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61007&start=40#1460989
snow report
for cars with run flat tyres and no spare can you get run flat winter tyres?
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
for cars with run flat tyres and no spare can you get run flat winter tyres?

Just an example, but there are plenty of run flat Winter tyres available. fixed another long link for you
ski holidays
£281 each Shocked Shocked
snow report
thefatcontroller, thanks.

Quote:
Dedicated summer tyres, in summer conditions, perform slightly better than cold weather tyres. However, the difference in winter will be much greater in favour of using a dedicated cold weather application.

I see what he's getting at - though I would also like to have seen quantitative detail on how summer tyres perform better. Given what he has said, I wonder why it has not become the norm winter tyres to become standard all-season tyres. Are winter tyres significantly more expensive than summer ones?

BTW, having been on some astonishing trips to slopes as a passenger in Switzerland last season, I do accept that winter tyres can give amazing grip on snow and ice.
snow conditions
loatie wrote:
to our ski place and I am trying to economise
without being judgemental, suggest you sack the butler and buy four tyres
snow conditions
skimottaret, I'm really not a fan of Run Flats, the compromises to ride quality are not outweighed by the advantages for me. If you get a puncture in them sure you can still drive, but you've still got to change the tyre. TPS systems with normal tyres IMO is just as good, plus they're cheaper and give a much better ride quality.
ski holidays
nor i but if there isnt room for a spare and the car is factory equipped with run flats you are kinda stuck unless you want a boot full of spare tyre
snow report
achilles, Summer tyres do outperform winter tyres when the temperature is above 7C, but not with as great a performance advantage as winter over summer tyres below 7C. Best to have 2 sets, but if your only going to have 1 set, better to use winter tyres or all-season all year round. All season aren't as good as summer above 7C and not as good as winter below 7C, but they're better than both outside their design temperatures.

I've been fortunate to buy winter tyres cheaper than the summer ones, it's just availability in UK the can be the problem.
snow conditions
skimottaret, I had a loan car with run flats and no spare, got a puncture which ripped a hole in the sidewall, had to be recovered home late at night on a truck, then collected again on a truck in the morning to be taken to a tyre fitting shop. Ridiculous.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy