Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi im new to the forum and having sepnt some time reading ive picked up some really usefull info, great forum.

I would really appreciate some advice regarding Avoriaz. Myself and partner have only been snowboarding once a few years ago over christmas at Val Thorens with some friends, totally loved it.

We now have a 2 year old and are going away 9th January to Avoiraz with her and 2 grandparents who wont be skiing or boarding (but babysitting and entertaining our little girl).. Ive got loads of questions.

Do you think there will be enough for them to do in and around Avoriaz for a week, we were going to go for Morzine but really wanted an experience similar to Val Thorens, board in and out, snow at the door etc... and as i undrstand it this is more likely in Avoriaz.

Ive rented a self catering chalet 100m from the town centre which I think will suit.

I would rally appreciate any information, and hope ive picked an area/resort which will keep everyone happy,

Thanks in advance,

Chris.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chrisbeanie, Welcome to Snowheads. I think you've chosen a good resort for board in board out. I've not stayed there but have skied in the area. Avoriaz may not be to everyones taste for the architecture but it does have a spectacular feel about it, perched amongst the mountain face.

I've no idea about facilities for non skiers but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I realize the architecture of the place isnt amazing due to the type of resort it is, Val Thorens is not exactly lovely to look at, thanks for your response.. another point, is getting to Morzine for the day easy enough from here?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chrisbeanie, Actually I think the architecture in Avoriaz is better than in some other purpose built resorts and it doesn't look so out of place like some, due to its spectacular outlook.

Getting to Morzine is easy from Avoriaz, we skied from Champery(Switzerland) via Avoriaz to Morzine and back easily, so from Avoriaz it's a dodle. You have a vast area to explore, enjoy. Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are staying in Avoriaz then for the grandparents to get to morzine is quite easy really. Take the great big cable car down to les Prodains which is 800 metres below on the valley floor. Then take the frequent buses right into morzine itself. If you wanted to go and meet them for lunch in Morzine then within 30 minutes max you can be there on skis, well nearly. You need to follow signs for the super morzine cablecar, then take it down into morzine itself. Any other questions then feel free to ask.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
chrisbeanie, I don't there's a huge amount for the GPs to do around Avoriaz if you can't ski. They could take up parapente?

Otherwise, yes, it's the Prodains cable car then bus to Morzine. Pretty straightforward.

N.B. to be pedantic, there is no Super Morzine cablecar, it's a bubble. Just worth knowing in case you were looking for a telepherique and kept on getting confused by ending up at the telecabine... snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to Snowheads! I'd echo what others have said about getting down to Morzine - it's doable but, once there, there isn't a whole lot to entertain grandparents and a little one. Up in Avoriaz there's not a whole lot to do either - probably a half day's mooching around and a ride on the horse drawn sleigh and that's about it. There is a good day nursery up at the back of the resort along from the ski school meeting point if this would be of use to you tho'. Don't want to be a prophet of doom but I'd hate you all to have a miserable time - you through guilt at leaving little one and grandparents being totally bored. Hope you find somewhere with more to do - someone on here will have a good recommendation for you, I'm sure.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chrisbeanie, welcome from me too and another echo - if I was a non-skier especially with a 2yr old in tow, I would much rather be in Morzine Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
They could take up parapente?
Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chrisbeanie, In my experience, grandparents will put up with anything to get their hands on young grandchildren for a short period of time. You will be up in the clouds, the weather may be crap and it will be cold, so they wont be spending a great deal of time outside. There are shops, playgounds and other entertainments and on the plus side you will close by so you can pop in and out if need be. go for it
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy