Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 - Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forums ! Smile

Boring story part:

I started learning to snowboard in autumn 2009,, on a dry ski slope, it was great fun and didnt find it to difficult.
Went up to scotland (glenshee) for my first ski trip and went snowboarding for a day, it was just AWFULL because i couldnt link turns comfortably and i was getting exhausted from getting up and down all the time off my ass. So on the second day of my trip i decided to rent a pair of skis instead. Right away after about 10 minutes id learnt the basics PIZZA AND FRENCH FRY ! hehe. Then by the end of the say i had learn to do parallel skiing, well i could only do it on the left and not on the right. But that was ok because i was having fun.

When i got home i went and got a lush pair of Salamon Ski boots fitted for me. Immediatley after i went to Xscape in leeds to try them out and found i could instantly parallel ski with NO PROBLEM, i am sure getting boots was the BEST investment i have ever made.

I have been going down to Xscape a few times and wanted to get a pair of my own skis for christmass. I went to Ld Mountain centre in newcastle (which is amazing might i add) and bought a pair of K2 skis.

I have to admit i bought them because of their appearance (YES i know i shouldn't do that but i couldn't resist,,, BRIGHT GREEN).

From what i know these skis are awesome for On-Piste Skiing and also for going FAST ! Which is perfect.

Questions :

Hey if you didnt read the wall of text above heres the questions id like to ask.

1. Are this skis any good if i want to learn to ski switch? (i know they arnt twin tips) But will it really be far to difficult?
2. Has anyone got these skis? or heard any good things about them?

http://k2skis.com/skis/all-mountain/charger

Heres a photo i took, ,the skis are packed away now though

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 9-10-10 20:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
they won't be good to learn how ride switch, because they are piste ski's. My dads got the old crossfire's, the old version of the charger. Their nice and stable at high speed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
please dont tell me your mum was dressing you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If your skiing them, enjoying it and feel like your progressing then Smile

I've got some K2 Apache rangers and it's not amazingly hard to ride them switch over normal pisted surfaces, having said that i'm no switch riding expert but i've not been catching backs when i try which i would imagine that is what your thinking about.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You need ski boards to turn in the space you have there NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
how long are they? look a bit short to my eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ROFL graeme !

No id just bought my skis but went over 2 my grans house for somewhere to STORE them till Christmas.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sainter, To echo milnerhome they do look a little short and with tails that short skiing switch will be tricky.

For riding switch you will need either some tooling to bend your skis or to buy another pair as you will struggle to do any kind of decent speed switch. Although it could be fun to watch, so please video if you do.

Also, a centre mount point makes skiing switch easier. Imagine if you turned your skis around, it wouldn't be as easy to ski forward and the same applies when riding switch.

However, I skiied on these on the ski test last year and they are good skis for going forward on fast!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do disagree with Jimmythefoot, you shouldn't have any problem learning switch with flat tails, as long as you do it on groomed stuff. I learned on K2 Apaches with a completely flat tail, now got Scott Missions with enough of the small twin to enable me to push it a bit further. Tip for getting back from switch, turn your head and shoulders first, the rest will follow.

On a tangental point, your poles look way too short for you. As a general guide, turn them upside down grip under the basket and you elbow should be at 90.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am sitting here pissing myself laughing at this thread...

i really have no idea why!!! Shocked

All joking aside... i'm assuming you never said to the shop workers that you'd be wanting to learn to ride switch Puzzled

IF they've not been used, i'd seriously consider returning them, talk to the people in the shop and buy something that will help you in your quest to ride switch, and i'm thinking you'll probably want to learn other freestyle skills?

If what you want to do is go downhill on piste very fast (and you will on those skis, whether you're in control or not) then they're great skis, but if you want something that is a bit more fun and playful and more forgiving, then something with twin tip and softer flex may be the way forward. And if they can't help you, get your money back and go somewhere who can.

£550 is a lot of money to spend on a pair of skis that aren't designed to do what you want them to do!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John wrote:
Do disagree with Jimmythefoot, you shouldn't have any problem learning switch with flat tails, as long as you do it on groomed stuff.

If there's any sign of fresh soft snow, wether it's been groomed or not, the tails will dig in and he'll land on his backside.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've not skiied these, but I own a set of the previous version, the K2 Apache Crossfire. They're great on the piste, but too narrow for much off-piste. As milnerhome says, they're very stable at speed.. I've done 50+mph on mine! More of a piste carving ski than a park or powder ski, but certainly good fun!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sainter skis in jeans
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
He is also a giant, his grans head barely goes above his waist!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
either that or she's a dwarf... who's dancing a merry jig to X-factor that's on in the background Very Happy
ski holidays
there's a good point actually... Sainter, how tall are you, what do you weigh and what length skis did you get?
latest report
Thanks for the reponse everyone.

Im 5ft 9... i weigh 13.5 Stone.

I did go into the shop and the guy gave me some great advice on the different skis but i was so distracted by the bright green i couldnt help but get them.

I have to be honest, learning to ride switch is something i would have a go at for like 10 minutes... but this is my first pair of skis, so im not really going to be off to the parks in a hurry. I am only going to be skiing up in Scotland for the next year or two (groomed snow). I cant go to France because i can only manage a few hours of skiing a day (muscle problems).

You guys say this skis are great for going fast? Do you mean they are good for going fast if i try to,, or will i just go flying unintentionally?

Edit: I cant remember which size they were.

I really hope I haven't made a bad choice on getting these skis. As i said above i am only planning to go up to scotland and ski on-piste. Im currently skiing Blues and will be learning reds as soon as the snow starts. Do you think these skis will hinder my learning?
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
Sainter skis in jeans

Yes i also ski in my grandmothers livingroom !!! Smile
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
Do disagree with Jimmythefoot, you shouldn't have any problem learning switch with flat tails, as long as you do it on groomed stuff. I learned on K2 Apaches with a completely flat tail, now got Scott Missions with enough of the small twin to enable me to push it a bit further. Tip for getting back from switch, turn your head and shoulders first, the rest will follow.

On a tangental point, your poles look way too short for you. As a general guide, turn them upside down grip under the basket and you elbow should be at 90.

Then you are not skiing switch, you are simply going backwards. To Ski switch properly, you cannot do this on flat tailed skis.

Sure you can learn the basics, but beware the bumps.... Smile
ski holidays
Jimmythefoot, what do u think about this

"You guys say this skis are great for going fast? Do you mean they are good for going fast if i try to,, or will i just go flying unintentionally?

I really hope I haven't made a bad choice on getting these skis. As i said above i am only planning to go up to scotland and ski on-piste. Im currently skiing Blues and will be learning reds as soon as the snow starts. Do you think these skis will hinder my learning?"
snow report
Sainter wrote:
Thanks for the reponse everyone.

Edit: I cant remember which size they were.

I really hope I haven't made a bad choice on getting these skis. As i said above i am only planning to go up to scotland and ski on-piste. Im currently skiing Blues and will be learning reds as soon as the snow starts. Do you think these skis will hinder my learning?

Please bare in mind I only say this to try and help.

These skis are not what you want, but they are awesome skis. You need to ski them hard to get the best from them, although they will not kill you, they may be a little too stiff for the slower turns. I found this when testing them, but I am 11 stone.

If they are shorter that will help, you can find the length either on the ski or on the side wall between the binding heel and toe piece. However, where do they come on you when you stand up?

It's a lot of Ski for a Blue/Red run skiier who is restricted to the amount of skiing per day.
ski holidays
Sainter, can you have a look at them, they may well have a size printed on them - it's a good excuse to get them out and drool over them to find out. B.t.w. they aren't as green as my ones wink
ski holidays
Ive got a pair of 181cm Amp Chargers -K2 replaced my Crossfires when they delaminated. Ive not used them yet but can't wait. If they are like my old Crossfires they are a great fast piste ski - they definitely arent beginners skis as they are quite stiff and like to be skiied hard - if you want to pull tricks by some soft twin tips - these are piste and crud skis not park skis! If you want to ride switch, take them back now - if you ski them and decide they arent for you, you'll lose 40% of their value
snow report
"Ski them hard"

"Stiff for the slower turns"

I am fairly new to all this linguo so i have no idea what you mean. Sorry i hope u guys dont feel you are wating ur time with me, hehe, but im trying to learn ^^.

And i wish i could get them out but they arnt at my house.

I am starting to consider if i should change them for a different pair of skis or not. I really cant tell. So do you guys think that these skis will make it harder for me to learn red's? will they go far to fast? Will it be hard to controll?

Soz for all the questions ^^
snow conditions
I think you should take them back and replace them for a ski which has more flex and is a little more forgiving, I think the ellisbrigham man might have been too keen on the sale for this one..

Their not a good ski to begin on, they want you to power into the turns and go fast, one of the best pairs of skis which are not full on race skis. I really hate to say it, but for your ability and your intentions, I think you bought the wrong set of skis.. although depending on size, I'll buy them Laughing
ski holidays
Sainter, for someone to give an informed response they need to know the length of the skis (unless I have missed it). I'd go and find that out.
latest report
skiing them hard basically means your putting real energy into the turns, your making your legs work to carve big arks and your working with the skis... basically, your not just sliding around on the hill
snow report
Thanks for the advice milnerhome, the shop i bought them from are very nice.

They said i can go down for a testing session down @ Xscape and if i dont like them i can exchange. I am going to actually email the guy and see if its ok to swap them for something else.

As u guys said these are awesome skis,,, but im not an awesome skier ! like giving a sports car to someone who cant drive properly yet.

I think im going to switch to a pair of skis that is much better for Park+Riding Switch.

I hope this isnt to rude to ask, but this is the shop i got them from, is there any chance you guys could suggest something that is a bit more suited to my style :

http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/category.aspx?id=160&method=products&attributes=Gender|Men's&minprice=0&maxprice=600&perpage=500

(lol and u said about the guy being a bit hasty to sell them to me, i have to admit its my own fualt, he did warn me,, i think its because ive had time to think about it ive realised now)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scotia wrote:
Sainter, for someone to give an informed response they need to know the length of the skis (unless I have missed it). I'd go and find that out.

Im going to go to my grans house where they are tomorrow hopefully to find out what size they are and i will get back to you.
snow report
*DELETE*

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 12-10-10 22:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Sainter wrote:
I am only going to be skiing up in Scotland for the next year or two (groomed snow). I cant go to France because i can only manage a few hours of skiing a day (muscle problems).

Personally Bud I would be looking for a less aggressive ski... if you like the k2s (they are great skis) I would be looking at the shockwaves as they will be more forgiving... http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/k2-amp-shockwave-skis-marker-m2-11-binding-2011

they won't be as hard work on your legs so you will be able to ski for longer! Also has a binding on it that is more designed to realise rather than retain your foot in it which will be better for someone skiing at your level and save u any more problems!
ski holidays
"they won't be as hard work on your legs so you will be able to ski for longer"

That is exactly what i need,,, I have M.E and get exhausted so fast, its a miracle i can ski at all to be honest. So i am really looking for something that will be easy and comfortable to ski with, something i can ski all day on without getting tired.
snow conditions
I've just realised you said in the opening post that you purchased these from LD, my bad..

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 12-10-10 22:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Sainter, Don't forget unless you get another green pair to change your poles too otherwise they won't match any more wink

Mind you although I've got just as green skis - if not moreso, I am not overboard about the electric green as a colour myself.
ski holidays
My first post! Yay Very Happy

Nice skis but I would have to agree with everyone else in that these may not be the right skis for you. Prob better to grab some softer, more forgiving skis and work on your technique with those! I always think its best to have a go before you buy if you can! Madeye-Smiley

P.s hi! Very Happy
latest report
Thanks gareth, and welcome!!!

Im new also hehe
ski holidays
When it comes to skiing i'm no natural athlete and in fact i didn't even start until a few years ago and i'm 36 now, i'm 6'1" and weigh about 13.5 stone. i got some ex demo apache rangers and i've been loving them, very easy to ski, starting to think they might be a bit too easy for me but still enjoy skiing them. i would suggest heading down that route, i think http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/k2-amp-photon-skis-marker-m2-10-bindings-2011 these are the new name for the rangers but i'm sure people will jump in and point out if i got it wrong.
latest report
phindme, i think the closest to the ranger is the shockwave wink (recon shape with out the metal and now a bit of rocker in the tip!)
snow report
Sainter,

Check out the shockwaves there a really good ski! I really enjoyed skiing on them and I'm a pretty experienced skier! I think the technology within the k2 skis will help ya out as well! they are designed to reduce as many vibrations as possible to help fatigue! they do come out a little heavier than some other brands though so maybe something worth considering! dynastar booster 10 is a really nice ski also!
ski holidays
dansmith, i was just working off sidecut value, the photons just looked pretty close 119,72,103 for my rangers and the photons are 118,74,103. why they had to change the names Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy