Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Myth Bustin'

Poster: A snowHead
SMALLZOOKEEPER, interesting shift. I think I'm right in thinking that plugs used to represent a very small percentage of sales. What proportion do you think they'll represent in the future? I'm probably thinking about this too simplistically but I would have imagined the labour cost of customising plugs for a large proportion of customers would not be economical. Surely bigger profits by producing lasts in say 2 or 3 forefoot widths then using liner/heel spacers/non-custom footbeds for easy off-the-shelf, untrained weekend staff solutions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slikedges, Totally, so we ask ourselves, why do we do it??????
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Plug boots Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled translation please
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ plug boots = ultra top-end boots for racers.

with true plugs you get the plastic molded / stretched / grind-ed specifically to your foot shape (instead of just heat fitting the liners).
great performance fit for racers... but historically the liner is thin, so cold feet, and you might cry if you had to wear them all day.
a true custom racing plug is overkill for 99% of mere mortals.

good jargon free explanation here.

http://www.bootfitters.com/oldsite/06_plug.htm

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 11-10-10 13:18; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I am informed Very Happy Many thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, Seems as if you know the boots that suit you.
Next time try ebay.de . Lots of tecnica diablos there at very good prices.
Got another pair of Magmas new for 135 euro.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap wrote:
you might cry if you had to wear them all day.

Or you might think that they were really comfy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ trust me - a world cup racer would not want to wear their race boots all day.
yes - you can get top end recreational versions, but that is a little different...

jimmjimm - thanks. just took a peak - looks like a very good source assuming you already know exactly what your looking for.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 11-10-10 14:57; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haggis_Trap, hmmm, I spent the last 3 seasons in what are listed as "true" plugs in that very interesting article (Dobermann 150) without any coldness issues. In fact, they're been the most comfortable boots I've skied in in 40 years. (Bizarrely, previously I'd been on Technicas for 17 years ).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, where do you stand on the Lange bang issue?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, aren't they a size too big though? Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would *guess* they arent exactly the same Dobermans that a racer would actually use in a world cup race ?
The logos will look very similar, and yes you also perhaps had the shells molded - but the similarity for the recreational version (probably?) ends there.
Pretty sure SZK / CEM will happily tell you more about the different variants Very Happy

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 11-10-10 14:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, where do you stand on the Lange bang issue?

As close as possible?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
altis mmmmmmm, Julia Mancuso, mmmmmmmm...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John, Resi Steigler - get your top female athlete perving right wink
ski holidays
Arno, don't let the cat out of the bag.

Haggis_Trap, I am quite sure you're right, they are not what you'd see on WC feet - just that they're classified as plugs, not "plug-a-bees" by the article you cite. They do have the lace up liners and they are a right pain to put on/remove if cold. Actually, it's impossible without assistance. And that's even them being a shell size too big.

Anyway I plan on downgrading to a 130/140 for the coming season. Just don't need that full bore rigidity, I don't think. Lovely while I had it though.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ trust me - a world cup racer would not want to wear their race boots all day.

and beleive me when i tell you that they train in the same boots as they race in, for longer than the average skier is on the hill
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, interesting shift. I think I'm right in thinking that plugs used to represent a very small percentage of sales.

I don't think plug boots were really available for the general public to buy before 2000, with the 98mm semi-plug ones coming out several years after that.
latest report
fatbob, after years of practice I've got my top female athlete perving spot on thanks very much. My naming and identifying might need some work, admittedly..
snow conditions
Quote:
and beleive (sp.) me when i tell you that they train in the same boots as they race in, for longer than the average skier is on the hill

yup - CEM, and they will probably un-clip their buckles after every 2 minute training run.
true race boots are only optimised for performance and results. not something average skiers would enjoy for recreational skiing.

though i am very interested in CEM / SZK comments on modern recreational / plug-a-bee boots. as its not something I know a huge amount about.
(have always got good comfort and performance from just heat fitting the liner).

edit - actually... I may be more interested in pictures of hot Lange girls Very Happy any more ?
ski holidays
the modified plug boots are based on the same shapes as the full race boots but generally with a thinner wall thickness to give 3mm more width around the forefoot and generally a bit more volume around the heel and instep... it depends on the foot shape as to what i would use, but the heel and ankle retension and the lateral transmission is so much better in this type of thing than any other type of boot, forefoot widths are normally about the 97/98mm in 26.5 although lange offer an RS wide which is 100mm last, with that what they have done is retain the same heel and ankle as on their 97mm version but expand the forefoot by3mm

other than the lange wide fit most if not all offer a solid sole plate without replaceable sections which meran they can be planned for alignment and plated

other than that you generally get higher grade plastics than you do on the lower spec boots

i have a pretty high volume foot and ski in the new raptor RS130 with a small punch for my 6th toe an instaptint footbed and a zip fit Gara liner, these are so much better than my old red raptors, they stay on all day and only get unclipped on the front buckles first run or two until my feet warm up
ski holidays
FWIW I've worn plug boots for a number of years. My current boots are a Rossignol Radical Worldcup ZA ZA and are warmer and more comfortable than my previous pairs of Atomic RTtis. I can wear them all day for training, teaching and skiing anywhere on the mountain. The only problem with them is that I need to stick them under a hand dryer or in the footwell of the car to warm them up enough to get them on and off in cold weather! If you have them fitted by an expert then it is possible to get a good fitting plug boot which is comfortable to ski all day Cool

Like CEM, I just unclip mine for the odd run or two until I'm warmed up or if riding up a chilly chair.
ski holidays
Quote:

footwell of the car

or you just drive home in them. Mine have warmed up quite nicely when I get back.
snow report
juliad, End of Discussion. Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy