Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Activities for (older) non-skiers in Alpe D'Huez?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sister & I thinking of going to Alpe D'Huez over New Year (mainly because a friend has already booked there) but also like to spend this time of year with family, so wondering whether it would be reasonable to take parents along too. They are both in their 60s, reasonably fit walkers, mother has skied once before (45 years ago!!); think father might once have had a go on a dry slope... They might be open to trying a bit of skiing but only for a couple of days max, so would need something else to keep them occupied (and good enough to justify the huge premiums which seem to be charged at this time of year).
Any thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks.
Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mustgotobed, they might well surprise themselves if they have top quality ski lessons. But if they like walking they should really enjoy getting out and about on snowshoes - most resorts have a range of signposted walks and they're cheap to hire. But it's not the best time of year for non skiers - dark, short days, often cold, sometimes rainy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From what I recall AdH has quite a lot of specific walking pistes and a superb range of easy greens all very close to the resort itself and there is also the purple "Milka" run (Rif Nel) which was described to me as a billiard table with a beer mat under one end. Several (about 4 I think) of the greens are free too. If you're looking for a private lesson for them try Stuart & Mel http://www.masterclass.f9.co.uk/.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get them skiing - FiL started at about that age and is still skiing into his 70s, as are my parents.

Only been to ADH in summer but would have thought,as ski resorts go, there is more to keep them busy than many others
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
- ski lesson or two with Masterclass (http://www.masterclass.f9.co.uk/)
- snowshoeing
- swim (both indoor and outdoor pools)
- sauna/massage etc
- visit church/museum
- bus to Bourg d'Oisans, walks/lunch in the valley
- day trip to Grenoble
- pestrian trip up to Pic Blanc for the view
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This from another recent thread covering ADH

Quote:
Last season we went to Alpe d'Huez - Vaujany actually - and found that access for non-skiers was exceptional. From Vaujany we could get up to Montfrais, up to Alpette and down to Oz and even across to AdH proper - all using only gondolas and cable cars with an occasional ten minute walk. No chairlifts required.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last year there was a massive music and countdown event outside the sports centre (think radio 1 roadshow in its hey day) which the 40-50 somethings enjoyed in our hotel.

ADH is one of the better resorts for nonskiing activitys:

Outdoor pool (not to be missed)
Indoor pool (still very nice)
Ice bar at the 1st stage of DMC lift (with glasses made of ice)
Couple of museums
Tennis, squash, gym, table tennis, indoor rock climbing and more at the sports centre
A few gondella rides with stunning views
Loud and quiet bars
Dog rides
Snowmobile rides
Helicopter rides
Outdoor ice rink
Some great shops (quiksilver, oniell, rip curl, etc), but not a shopping mecca!

And there must be stuff I've forgot!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apologies for taking so long to respond & thanks so much for all the advice! Happy
In general it seems that they wouldn't be bored, but I also think the point that pam_w made is an important one... may be better to go later in the season when weather is a little warmer & perhaps there is a possibility of doing some walking with just walking boots rather than snow shoes. And since we don't have kids, then personally I'd rather not pay a £500 premium to go when the slopes are busy, so had already half talked myself out of it anyway... but all is not lost - in the meantime, a group of our friends have decided to go to Damascus for New Year (skiing a little limited!), and there's still time left to hit the slopes later in the season... last trip was to Arabba in the Dolomites - much more my sort of thing (although a little bit more apres ski would be better for a longer trip).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mustgotobed, if you don't have kids, it really is a bit masochistic to go skiing at New Year. Crowds, risk of poor weather, snow often a tad dodgy. And walking with snowshoes is terrific - any keen walker (or even casual walkers) would enjoy it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
New Year is also one of the most expensive times of the year.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If the weather closes in they could be set to work on the egg boiling debate to provide the definitive answer for this thread snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Climbing may appeal to seniors
Quote:

He recently made the first ascent of Team 500, a three pitch 5.11- trad route in the Three Finger Canyon area, Utah. This is his 500th new route, and the 73 year old Englishman has more to come: "I have lots of projects in sight ...I hope the body holds up a few more months!"

OK - in the winter it would be ice climbing wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If the weather closes in they could be set to work on the egg boiling debate to provide the definitive answer for this thread

or whether you weigh less on your bathroom scales at altitude. If you go high enough to escape the earth's gravity you're weightless. But does being a few thousand metres up help?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy