Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuehel Hannenkahn

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been ? I'm thinking about a weekend there to watch the racing - do you have to buy tickets ? Any info gratefully received

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have not been for quite a while (Klammer won the last race we saw), but when I was there you could easily see the racing without buying a ticket. I believe there are now pens around the finish where you might have to pay, but no doubt someone will be along with more recent experience.
The pistes were generally not too busy for some skiing as well. Accommodation just for the weekend may be difficult to come by, but you could stay in Kirchberg and ski over to watch.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've chosen a tour op package for that week a few times. Getting accommodation may be problematic as a lot of places are booked up for years. One year we couldn't find any hotels in Kitz that would take a DIY booking, hence using a tour op. Although they now fly saturdays instead of sundays so isn't a great option. You can see some of the course from town, but I think anywhere with a good view is charged for see http://www.hahnenkamm.com/en/tickets-traffic-10/admission-prices/ The open air bars with patio heaters in the pedestrian area can be epic, especially if a Tiroler has won. It's a party town with tens of thousands of people about and outdoor speakers playing euro pop/cheese. Thursday to sunday night in a hotel in the pedestrian area would be ideal but really difficult to get. Go for it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dsoutar, have a look at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1376676&highlight=hahnenkamm#1376676

As others mention accommodation for the weekend might be a little tricky (and prices tend to go up for the weekend). You can pick up tickets on the day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've walked it in the summer but never got chance in winter!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Although I live not too far away, I must admit I've only watched the race on television (I prefer to ski myself) but I imagine it would be a great spectacle. As already mentioned, I too expect you have to pay for the pens near the finish (maybe at places like the Mausefalle too). However, there are no doubt other places to watch the race from. There are no charges on the training days (I have watched then).

For accommodation you might stay outside Kitz, e.g. in St. Johann. There are extra trains run to Kitzbühel from the nearby towns on race days (but probably you have to be there early to get up the hill).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
e.g., we are thinking of booking that week in Kitzbuhel. We have been to the races a few times and will probably choose a hotel on the edge of town as we know how noisy it gets in town itself! What I wondered is what your experience of how the normal holiday skiing is affected by the race week? My presumption is that the Streif apart, probably very little, but since you mention you have been there a few times I thought I would ask?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
robboj, I've been in Kitzbuhel several times for the race. As you say the different race runs will obviously be closed and those than run alongside will be within the ticketed area. In general though the rest of the area is very quiet as most people will either be watching the race or partying in town.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
robboj, Streif is obviously closed which leaves Asten as the only run back into town and this is often shut as well. Usually found its the Hahnenkammbahn back down or a bus from somewhere else. Skiing elsewhere is quieter than normal, not found it really quiet though. The Horn gets more beginners and Pass Thurn has the normal half empty runs. Oh and get yourself a nice hotel in the Vorderstadt, less walking back in the morning Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All,

Thanks for this. The plan is to fly to Munich & hire a car Fri eve; Travel to Kitzbuehel on Saturday from Fieberbrunn on Saturday a.m. to watch the race. Incidentally can one ski from Fieberbrunn and is it practical ? Otherwise we will get public transport.

Let me know if you see any issues with the above.

Then on Sunday go to Antholz Anterselva to watch the biathlon and drive back to Munich for a flight home late Sunday evening.

Phew !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen, e.g., Thanks guys, in the end we have decided against race week and will do Kitz another time. dsoutar, apologies for hijacking your thread.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dsoutar wrote:
can one ski from Fieberbrunn and is it practical ?
Phew !

Phew seems to be the right word Laughing

You can't ski from Fieberbrunn to Kitzbühel.

This page gives details of transport arrangements for the race weekend. Train from Fieberbrunn might be the best bet. This takes you to the Hahnenkamm station, not far from the race finish. I'm not sure how you could get up the hill from there, if you want to - if the Hahnenkamm lift is available at all for normal mortals on race day, I imagine it would be pretty busy. And getting to Kirchberg (or Jochberg) from Fieberbrunn would mean fighting through the Kitzbühel traffic.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just re found this amazing pic of Herman Maier, at the hausbergkante, Kitz.........those guys have balls of steel Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kooky, amaaaaazing picture and you are right about the testicular fortitude.......

This part of the course is about 12 - 15 secs from the end - amazing when you see the distance still to be covered in this pic... legs on fire etc etc

I think this looks like 2 years (almost 3) ago,,,, the year Defago won here and Wengen..... he doesn't get the praise he deserves to be honest for pulling off an incredible double.... Kroel and Walchofer both came shortly after Defago and looked like they had done z'bizz for Oestereich but Defagohad cleaned up the traverse and zielschuss and held on to steal the prize..... Great race as usual!

Great stuff, anyone reading this who hasn't been to see it for real,,, shame on you! Seriously, watching this will change your understanding of skiing forever, no matter what you have done or seen before. If you consider yourself a 'serious skier' you must go watch one time.

C'mon January!
JC
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jcjc, yep and what most people dont get is just how icy it can be...I don´t know you but I am guessing you are racing stock? I have been on WC training pistes where it is literally an ice rink, and these guys do that and land it! Shocked
snow report
jcjc wrote:
Great stuff, anyone reading this who hasn't been to see it for real,,, shame on you! Seriously, watching this will change your understanding of skiing forever ...

Yes, totally agree with you. If you hang around for a day or two after the race, the course is open to the public and it is possoble to ski the course including the steepest sections should you wish, only then can you fully appreciate the ferocity of this course and it puts into perspective the mindset these guys must have. You 'ski' down this course almost with a quizzical look on your face, asking yourself how they can possibly do what they do. Amazing, bordering on unbelievable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy