Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Disere and Tignes vs 3V's

Poster: A snowHead
Espace Killy vs 3V both are great ski areas. Neither is a bad choice.
Where to stay in the areas is a more difficult choice.
V.D. & Meribel are British outposts with all that goes with it. O.K. if your name is Henry.
For me,Tignes is unpretentious with easy acces to a variety of terrain. I think V.D. probably has a better choice of restaurants. I agree about Santons, the sheers size of the EK usually means you are knac£ered at the end of the day and picking your way down a body-strewn half pipe followed by a nordic skiing session is painful. Mind you the first beer is even more enjoyable. Face is steep and can be slick. If not up to it best to download.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having been to both I prefer the Espace Killy. Would stay in Tignes as it's prob a bit cheaper and less pretentious as mentioned above.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

many moons ago I did that when staying in Tignes. My mate and I sat with a beer and watched person after person trying to shusse down and around the bend taking as tight a corner as possible. Trouble was that corner was now so heavily trafficked that it had formed a bit of a woop-de-doo and 8/10 skiers tumbled sometimes on the bump, sometimes on someone else. Fortunately no-one hurt but quite hilarious and it had a lot of people sitting on those deckchairs thinking they were watching a Harry Hill blooper show live

Unfortunately I was the person who bust his leg on that bit. It was two years ago and I was a five-week skier. I had done Santons a couple of times before and knew about the need to take speed into the flat bit. Sadly when I tumbled all that speed converted into a turning force and snapped the old fibula. Being too stupid to realise my leg was broken I got up and carried on down. Put me off Santons even more.

BUT. The good news is that last year I went down Santons first thing in the morning in a group with an instructor and it was an absolute delight. C'est la vie.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've done 2 years in 3v now off to Val with a group of almost beginners, beginner intermediates and experienced skiers (all adults). I'm hoping they won't kill me at the bottom of the first incredibly steep blue/red/black! Fortunately we're in La Daille so we may just head to the bar at the top of the lift get a few jagers in and only the confident need to ski home. On a slightly different question about val one of our group has become pregnant and won't be able to ski (obv!) does anyone know of any activities in val and the surrounding area to occupy her? She really likes cooking anyone done a French cooking course or anything similar near there?

Ta Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you go, you have to try the Black Run Challenge - all the blacks in one day.

It's the law.

http://www.tignesnet.com/ski-areas/espace-killy-best-runs.htm
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with all that say both are great areas. With so much on offer at both, it's hard to rate one above the other.

IMHO, the easiest way back to Val D from the Tignes side without downloading probably is Verte to La Daile and then the bus. As much as I dislike buses, we did that a couple of times last time I was there and it wasn't that bad. If people in the group are in to getting every last second out of the day you can just keep going back up till the lifts shut - no worry about missing a lift and not getting home. Can be a big queue for busses at the end of the day, so best relax over a drink at the top of the gondola, let the rush pass, then go down when it's quiet and the bus queue has diminished.

However, after a big dump one night, the bashers seemed to ignore Verte and by the end of the next the whole thing had moguls some might consider more at home on a black than a green! A lot of people we struggling, and being busy and laden with bodies, just made it worse. So might be worth avoiding at the end of power days as well as icy times mentioned above. Most of the times I've seen it it's well groomed and OK though.

There's plenty of terrain over on the Solaise side too. So if people don't like to finish the day on a download, you can always keep that side and use Piste L back, then either bus or the long flattish link back to the center.

Don't know about the black run challenge, but a couple of us did have a go at seeing how much of ESK we could in a day - I've not been to many places you can cover so much terrain and hardly repeat a run. I was certainly ready for a beer at the end of that.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 20-11-10 1:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last time we went to 3Vs we were shocked Shocked at how busy the pistes were. It was worse than the M25 on a Friday afternoon and it was late January! In Val and Tignes you can usually get away from the crowds Little Angel, which is a big plus for us. You can also avoid the trickier runs. We prefer Val/Tignes everytime... snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This thread whetted my appetite, and I'm now booked for Val Dizzy in Jan, gerrin' there. First time back to ESK since 09, any particular developments since then I need to know about? New lifts/apres bars/lunch spots?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hate downloading by gondola/cable car where you have to stand up/perch. I find it substantially less tiring to ski down something than to stand in a swaying telecabine. I'd prefer the perches if I were a little taller, but that's not going to change now...

Download by telecabine was fine by me in Courchevel, but I truely loathed it in Tignes - I was always totally crippled when I got off the thing (Aeroski). Don't like cable cars/funiculars, but will accept where unavoidable to get to where I want to go. I don't consider downwards (unless my only options are mogulled narrow blacks) to make funiculars etc unavoidable. Courchevel Le Praz/1350 wasn't a bad download if the reds were unappealing (on my last day last year, when the temperatures had got pretty warm and I'd tweaked my knee in a chair lift collision.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like them both a lot. I'd say 3V is more charming and better for intermediates (than Val D. Tignes is brilliant for intermediates but can be moon base alpha in January). EK has the more obvious big off-piste lines, 3V has more secret hidden corners and easily acccessible between the piste stuff.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jedster, For me, eclectically, PdS (Portes du Soleil) still out classes EK & 3V. Though I'm very happy to stay in either of the latter.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally, although the PdS has its attractions and is great in good conditions, it is too low to be put in the same class as EK and 3V.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster, good point. I should qualify my statement with 'assuming equivalent snow conditions'. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bit new to snow heads clearly not quite got the lingo yet....moon base alpha??! Is this another way of saying bloody cold? Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beccy83, Moon base alpha = jagged, desolate, barren, featureless, ultra-cold, harsh, unforgiving, etc.
snow report
Quote:

jagged, desolate, barren, featureless, ultra-cold, harsh, unforgiving, etc.

Yorkshire?
ski holidays
Quote:

On a slightly different question about val one of our group has become pregnant and won't be able to ski (obv!) does anyone know of any activities in val and the surrounding area to occupy her? She really likes cooking anyone done a French cooking course or anything similar near there?

beccy83, going back to that question, I would have thought Val D'Isere as good as anywhere for a non skier - there's plenty going on. I will ask my son about cooking courses (he spent a season cooking there and knows the place quite well). But there's nothing "obvious" about not being able to ski whilst pregnant. wink

Are you self catering? Your non skiing but keen cook friend could be quite useful (unless she's suffering from morning sickness....)
snow report
Got ya thanks wink
snow report
Er no we are fully catered. I decided a while ago that there was no way I was organising a ski trip for 10+ people and not doing full board it would be chaos!
Any suggestions would be good as she should be well over the morning sickness by then. She likes baking and is a very good cake decorator - seeing as the French are pretty good at delicious deserts and complicated pastry type things we thought this might be a good option...she might even bring them back for us ganets Very Happy
latest report
Dr John, Easy..................I know where I'd rather be, and it aint London!!

beccy83, Both 3V and Espace Killy great for all levels of skiers IMO,but keep a look out with your rear-gunner for the Henry's after they've had their fill of fizz at Folles Douce..........down La Daille at 4pm can be a laugh seeing them falling about, but not great with one planted into your back (not that way either just for clarification) at 30mph when they whizz into you all out of control, poles flailing about and ski's pinging off in all directions......been there rolling eyes

VD'I great on all fronts, non skiers will for sure get more out of there than Tignes or 3V, but I'd always prefer to stay in Tignes, not as picturesque but great access to the POW. Very Happy
ski holidays
Markymark29, Funny... I could have sworn that the incompetent skiers were the one's who hadn't been to La Folie Douce. Twisted Evil

Do a Google search for Folie Douce to get an idea, e.g.
http://youtube.com/v/9QU_mMMGbgk

Article here: http://www.ifyouski.com/more-home/more/features/folie-douce.aspx

Ski in the morning. Folie Douce in the afternoon!
snow conditions
Markymark29 don't worry if the lift option is there I'm sure the newbies will take it! One rather disasterous ski home last year saw to that... (we got to the bottom about 6pm after the people clearing away the poles had been and gone - there was a lot of swearing and a few tumbles on the way down I was not popular that evening!) and this was without any vin chaud to make things even more complicated! Thanks for the heads up though....
ski holidays
crosbie, Great place........dont get me wrong I enjoy the craic too!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Markymark29, yup, I'm just providing info for those who don't know what they're missing. wink
latest report
There is quite a bit of debate whether there is an easy way down to Val or not here. I am in the camp that says that there is not. I have also seen Santon in a very icy state and in no way is the run down to La Daille green.

On the other hand nobody seems to say that there is not an easy way down to any of the villages in the 3Vs, so when comparing the two areas for easy home routes, I think that tells you a lot.
ski holidays
richjp, +1

I reckon that the run down to Le Laissenants (pardon my spelling) is a good run down for those less experienced, whilst it is quite steep in places it tends to be quieter than La Daille and off Solaise. Unless people want to go back down on lifts - despite my assertions above re low-flying-Henrys La Daille is OK if you stay to the edge and keep your wits about you.................and when at the bottom just go for it, like everyone else thinking they are finishing the last World Cup race they saw on Eurosport. TBH many other top resorts suffer the same dilemma, eg St Anton (blue valley etc) and there's just so many people bezzing down at the end of the day at the same time, in a narrow gully its always going to be an issue for all skiers of all levels I suggest.
ski holidays
richjp, in the 3V, Aigle from Saulire down to Mottaret asks some questions of the early intermediate, as does Combe Saulire down to Couchevel, despite the cat track at the top. These never get mentioned, but the tricky approaches to ValD always do. Not sure why that would be, to be honest.
ski holidays
Dr John,

Its been a while since I was in the 3Vs so I don't recall Aigle. I take your point about Saulire, although even then the steeper bits are nice and wide unlike say the run down to Val from Solaise.

Thinking again about La Daille, I would say that it's often easier to take the OK/Orange route down, nice and wide and a decent red pitch. The last five years I have only been to Val in December so unfortunately that option is not open as its closed for racing most of the time. A great run as well if you want a red piste.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richjp, Aigle is the only direct route into Mottaret from Saulire, goes steep-flat-steep. Completely agree about taking OK down to La Daille. Taking two of my friends as a sample, intermediates much prefer a wide, even, steep piste to a narrow flat one. One mate in particular hates cat tracks, and can't say I'm barmy about them myself.
latest report
When we have been getting back to Mottaret from Saulire with people of a nervous disposition, we take the Meribel way down (turn right under the banner) which offers a gradual declivity with lots of options. You then go up the bubble (Tougnette?) one stage and come back to the top of Mottaret on the other side.

I'd prefer Aigle myself for the reasons above - hate narrow tracks!

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy