Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern

Poster: A snowHead
What are the general thoughts on this resort?

Skiing
Apres Ski
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
High. Excellent snow record. Exposed. Not huge area. Full on party après ski. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1969jma, skiing short runs, good off piste,

Apres....some of the best EVER http://www.luerzer.at/de-almhuette-obertauern.htm gogo girls are pretty hot wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great place. Super snow and modern lifts. Nice views and busy apres - austrian style.
It is not big so you might ski the whole place in 2, 3 days easily. As mentioned mostly short runs but very enjoyable.
I would def be back there but if for a week I will break it with a day trip to one of the excellent resorts nearby.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 7-10-10 8:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1969jma, PS there are threads about Obertauern if you search this forum.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Repeat of the above 1969jma, excellent place, relatively small, but well worth it for a week. Lurzeralm is brilliant.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obertauern is a gem, its of the radar for most brits. But all 4 of us enjoyed it a lot and all 4 of agreed its somewhere we all would go back to for sure. Apres is really good, the resort caters mainley for Austrain and German's so some of the menus etc are not in English, but just ask anything you dont understand and the locals/staff will all help. But we had a great time there and had some full on nights there with some german folk we met buying us shots and drinks till silly o'clock in the morning.

The resort is high (so pretty snow sure) for Austria. The resort is easily big enough for a weeks skiing with a good selection of grades of runs. And some excellent black pistes. Off piste is good also, but i would say the resort is deffo more aimed at intermediate skiiers as opposed to novices.

The ski area is spread along both sides of the valley, but all are linked very well with modern fast lifts. plenty of mountain huts dotted along the way for lunch etc.

People say its small, but i disagree its big enough for a week with no really daft pointless pistes just to make the no's up. 100km of quality pistes with plenty more good off piste. My mate who has been to most places over the years (Utah, Canada, Val disere, St Anton, Flaine, 3 V's, Morzine etc etc) rates Obertauern up there with the best of em. And i would agree i would happily go to Obertauern as much as the likes of Val disere etc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I spent a sunny day there in mid-March 2010, having been based in Mauterndorf, one of the nearby villages

Plus side:
Excellent lift system
Reasonably attractive for a purpose built resort
Beautiful scenery
Quite a lot of snow sure cross country

Down side:
Short runs
Very crowded, chopped up snow as a result.
A more brash, commercial feel than nearby resorts such as Aineck, Mauterndorf and Fanningberg, with which it shares the Lungo ski pass.
Too much snow! I know that's an unusual complaint....

I have to say that it's not somewhere I'd choose to return to. I prefer much more low key resorts. The aforementioned Aineck etc. are much more up my street!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have to say I have been twice at Feb half term, and there has ben no real crowding. Is miid March Gereman/Austrian Hols?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
1969jma,
Enjoyed Obertauern on my visit and cannot add much to what has been said. One thing to watch for though is that it gets quite a bit of weather. This clearly means good snow conditions a lot of the time but it's maybe not the best choice if you want to max out on the sun.
Crowds were not bad on my Feb half term visit.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
depthjunkie, I'm pretty sure there is only 1 black...?

For learners there are 3 great nursery slopes to learn on and some nice blues to get you going.

IMO it is quite small for anyone looking for a decent amount of vertical drop. If you are an Intermediate+ I would opt for the super salzburg ski pass and spend some time in the Lungau region on one side of Obertauern and the Ski Amadé areas on the other side.

But if you want a resort feel and loads of Apres then it is a goodun!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have been a few times and are heading back in January
Staying at the Stinner which we like a lot
We have also stayed in the Snowwhite and the Petersbul which were a bit cheaper but had less facilities
There is more than one black but not many it is more of an intermediate resort
The only time the resort is busy is when snow is poor at the lower resorts in the area most of the time there are no ques though we do avoid skiing at half term there or anywhere else for that mater
As other have said mostly fast lefts and few toes
I would say its not so great for boarders with a couple of long flat bits though they can be avoided/bypassed.

ps Ive managed to keep away from the site for most of the summer Its good to be back and see most of the regulars are still here
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The only time the resort is busy is when snow is poor at the lower resorts in the area

Yeah... like in Early December before the 'lower resorts' are open and after Easter when the 'lower resorts' are shut!... oh and maybe a few times inbetween in 2006/07
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

depthjunkie, I'm pretty sure there is only 1 black...?

Wrong, Obertauern has 6 official black runs. But 1or 2 really good un's ( Gamsleiten II for example)

Never had a problem with over crowding or ques, but yes there are certain parts of the mountain that tend to get regular white out and winds where other parts seem to fair better.

you can tell which side of the mountains get the weather by the use of luminus paint on the piste marking sticks, whilst the shelterd side just has regular paint on the poles Smile-
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
depthjunkie, quite right! I forgot about the black down the bottom and could only remember the Gamsleiten!... I think that as blacks go that is about it.. the other bits are short cuts and are not particularly challenging and are incredibly short.... still, roll on November 6th (that be when the season pass kicks in....
snow conditions
flangesax, all you need now is the snow Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Temps are dropping!.. I saw the first valley frost this morning... just what we need - a couple of cold weeks to chill the ground.. then pow!
snow report
been ther several times.
Nothing difficult, couple of blacks (Gamseiten II, one under Panoramabahn, ski route off Hundskogelbahn, and another next to Schaidsbergbahn). the rest are red or blue. The biggest drawback is the 'vertical', there isn't enough. However having been there several times you I can usually find something to stimulate interest. Easy 'starter' Off piste is fun, its all over the place, just look and you will find.. The Taurenrunde circut works well, although not challenging. Its impossible to get lost, as all slopes lead down to the village.

Works well as a family resort, slopes are close to hotels, lots of ski in - Ski out. Had my kids in one of the ski schools, they loved it. On mountain food is of usual austrian standard, with some really good resturants if you want to spend a little extra.

If you are renting equipment rates are good, and quality likewise. I seem to recall that my 11 year old son had a pair of Ferrari skis last year, big grin all week Very Happy
Prices are ok, bier is excellent, Apres on tthe slopes well, and is an easy ski back to the village, but don't get cockey they have had some nasty accidents. It has to be said that the evening Apres is ok, but not huge.

Obertauern is a remarkably snow sure resort, but can become over skied during peak periods, or when norther italy or Salzburgland is short of snow. Oh, and one other thing It can br bitterly cold. Early December is really great if you have the flexability, otherwise january works well.

Would i go again?
Yes proberly, but I'd include a couple of days out to Matterndorf, and maybe Zauchensee/flachau.
snow conditions
I like Obertauern. There's some really nice lines from the ridge on the right hand side as you drive into the village. I think I'm right in saying that there's some good backcountry off the back of the main hill as well, although I know there were some nasty accidents there last year.

On piste apres is lively, in a very Austrian sort of way. Nice gentle touring nearby as well:

[/url]
snow report
Bob, yeah that's what I kinda think although written a bit better kinda like Madeye-Smiley ... but when are all these peak weeks short of snow in Salzburgerland?... 'cos I can't think of any!
ski holidays
Just seen this link on Obertauern website:

http://www.freeride-guide.at/

Could be a really good book with freeride routes around Salzburg - Obertauern, Kaprun, Saalbach, Gastein, Dachstein etc.

PDF sample of Kaprun in the right bottom corner looks interesting

It is a pity that's only in German
Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy