Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What does anyone think of Saas Fee ? Good for an intermediate family of 4 ?
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An excellent place, full of Alpine charm and should be ideal for your purpose.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cstreat, I agree with what achilles said. When I went the 6 day lift pass included the Zermatt ski area for a day (although I see that this year according to this site you have to pay 20CHF extra if you want to do this), so if you've never been to Zermatt (or even if you already have) I would recommend doing that. Incidentally if you organise the day trip to Zermatt through one of the UK Tour Operators they organise the trip using a small minibus which is allowed to use the road from Täsch to Zermatt which is closed to private vehicles and larger coaches (you normally have to leave the vehicle at Täsch and do the last few miles on the regular train service).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cstreat, I spent the season there last year. Some people will tell you 140km's of piste isn't enough for a week which is absolute rubbish. i only had one set of guests who told me they felt they'd skied it out but having seen them ski i very much doubt it.
I'm going back for a couple of weeks this year on holiday.
As achilles mentions it is a really charming village and the ski area is awesome. Plenty of nice fast reds with the odd challenging black but not many. If you like a challenge then the tree-line on Platjen and the two itinerary runs should be enough to get most people pumping. If you intend to go off piste higher up than this then definitely get a guide because the glacier there really moves and crevasses open very quickly.
The beginners area in town is ideal with two slopes allowing the instructors to push people onto a larger slope before having to take them up the mountain which builds confidence.

The transit to Zermatt on public transport is a pain but as Alistair mentions the tour operators usually run a bus at some point in the week. Neilson certainly did this last year.

If you go don't miss the followin highlights. The revolving restaraunt at the top of the funicular, a few CHF more than average but well worth it for the view. The Haus Bodmin restaurant is a short walk out of town along a lovely scenic track and the kids will love the random selection of animals (Camel in the snow anyone) while you and the good lady will just love the food especially the meat!!!
Take the SaasTal valley ski pass and you get to ski at Saas Grund and Saas Almagell as well. They don't look like much on the piste map but we absolutely loved Saas Grund, especially when the sun's out as it has a different aspect on the valley and catches a bit more light.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, you might have guessed but i absolutely loved Saas Fee and if you have any other questions then let me know. I could also point you towards my old boss for a holiday quote but don't want to turn this into a sales pitch for them as well as Saas Fee Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cstreat,

The Gletschergrotte restaurant is great for lunch. It's just off the blue run down to the village in some woods, but it is signposted, and you just need a little bit of speed to negotiate the uphill bit of the path to avoid walking. It was the end of November when I skied there, a couple of years ago and spent nearly every lunchtime in the Gletschergrotte, plus an Apres drink on the way back at the end of the day. I went back with my son for a half days skiing on our way to Zermatt in March, and got a great reception from the staff who remembered me.

As the others have said, it's a charming place with spectacular glacial flows and the village is traffic free, but it's not a large village, so it's pretty much walkable to any of the bars/restaurants.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for the Gletschergrotte. Their huas roshti is legendary. If you don't mind paying a bit more the Vernisage is easily the best restaraunt on the mountain but the price is, like the revolving restaraunt, that bit higher than elsewhere
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fastandicy, geepee, Alastair Pink, Thanks for that; it sounds just the ticket; we were thinking of going with Total, whom we enjoyed in Val d`Isere last year.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cstreat, i knew quite a few of their staff last year (They're the same company as Esprit) they were all a good bunch if quite young.
Their hotels are right at the base of the lifts with easy access to the beginner slopes and the rest of the mountain. Also just a short stumble from the Black bull, nesti's and popcorn for those of you who fancy a jagermeister or 9.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cstreat, For some general scenes of Saas Fee, the nursery slopes and the revolving restaurant at the top of the funicular see this short video I took in Xmas 2006

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy