Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

White Lines - Austria Top 5

Poster: A snowHead
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I can't believe the total lack of journalism in these reviews.

It is more of a case of lets pick 5 places that I have heard of and write a load of tosh about them...

I am not going to bother to quote the top 5 listed resorts or any of the text because it is drivle and has made me furious!...

Come on Whitelines.. you can do better!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aaw, go on - I don't want to have to go out and buy it just to see what's made you so angry!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmm is it this one: http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/news/story/20100923whitelines.cfm ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[stir] Is it because they missed Radstadt off flangesax? [/stir]
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What? Is it a list of the top 5 Austrian resorts for scoring cocaine? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Isn't it inevitable if mags/newspaper supplements persist in listing "Top 5"s like this (although Kaunertal is an unusual inclusion). The Top 5 will always be the Top 5 as they tend to be the biggest or most talked about and thus self perpetuate themselves as "Top 5".

A better article would be the "Most Improved" or "Up and Coming" resorts. But then that would require cutting edge, original journalism rather than the reproduction of "advertoral" press releases from the big guys Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flangesax, maybe i'm just being naive, but what exactly is wrong with the info in the article? it's information gained from the WSG website. granted, it's not a "top 5" of snow lover resorts in austria (therefore, won't necessarily include lesser known resorts), but the wsg site is catering for a very specific market, as is whitelines magazine.

have you actually looked at the wsg site to understand what it's all about? from my understanding, it was set up with the aim of providing very specific information to snowboarders i.e. what type of lifts, what kind of split for beginner/intermediate/advanced riders and people can report their own findings if they conflict with the information on the site.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I should probably STFU and not comment, but the brief was for 5 top resorts which are known the the Britsih audience broken down into the park, pow, piste sections (similar to my WSG website), and there was no discussion on specific attributes ie, top-5 freeride resorts etc . Austria has some fantastic small resorts and Kaunertal is one which these days holds the UK snowboard tests at the end of the season, so i felt it a little leftfield but justified in its inclusion, so that the list wasn't just 5 big area resorts. My/WSG writing style can polarise, but there are plenty of places you can read more staid reviews, and I try and offer something different. Shame you didn't like it, and i'll be working on developing a thicker skin over the next few months unless the articles get dropped ...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have not read it yet, however WL has been the best boarding mag for 3/4 seasons or longer. Obviously its my opinion but document and onboard are a mile off WL articles (although I still find myself buying them every now and then) and snowboard uk gave up trying!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wsgsteve, Welcome and thanks for the comments.

How is the new book coming? Will it be published this month?
Sorry but I could not resist to ask. I was quite disappointed we did not get it last year but I hope I can buy one in a few weeks ! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wsgsteve, By the way I find all the reviews in WSG very, very good!
The only pity it is not updating much, even the website seems to have rather old info.

Although I've just seen new reviews of Flachau and Flachauwinkl for example. Nice Very Happy
Keep it up!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers Tom, without trying to hijack this post, i've had to put the 12th edition on hold indefinitely as we just cannot afford to produce it at the moment. We lost our major advertisers and then all the book shops have been squeezing more and more margin out of what they are prepared to buy it for. I'm a bit gutted as i'd splashed out on a new design but i didn't want to just re-print the same content, and it really needed a big overhaul and people will only do so much work for a few lift passes. It took me about 5 months of the year to put a new edition out (excluding the best bits which is obv visiting the resorts) and all my nicely paid freelance IT work dried up, so everything has been working against me!

We have diversified and launched the first book in our new snow-search series which is on Japan (award winning no less ...), and are now developing more in the series, but an we can only do an annual guide if we are able to get a sponsor with some deepish pockets. There is tons of new stuff on the WSG website though, and we are really focusing on that at the moment, but i agree that its not always obvious what has been updated.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wsgsteve, I can't see your list as your web page is throwing up error messages. Perhaps you can take a look? The same link Flangesax gives also throws up the same big error message.

Here's the error message from your link:

Quote:
The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
Please contact the website administrator.

The following information is meant for the website developer for debugging purposes.
Error Occurred While Processing Request
The value unknown cannot be converted to a number.

The error occurred in E:\webroot\worldsnowboard\components\visitor.cfc: line 734
Called from E:\webroot\worldsnowboard\components\visitor.cfc: line 61
Called from E:\webroot\worldsnowboard\Application.cfc: line 380
Called from E:\webroot\worldsnowboard\Application.cfc: line 75

732 : </cfif>
733 :
734 : <cfset>
735 : <search>
736 :

Resources:

* Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are using the correct syntax.
* Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem.

Browser Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10
Remote Address 80.156.29.42
Referrer http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1602961
Date/Time 06-Oct-10 04:52 PM
Stack Trace
at cfvisitor2ecfc124068214$funcLOOKUPIPADDRESS.runFunction(E:\webroot\worldsnowboard\components\visitor.cfc:734) at cfvisitor2ecfc124068214$funcNEWSESSION.runFunction(E:\webroot\worldsnowboard\components\visitor.cfc:61) at cfApplication2ecfc953450218$funcONSESSIONSTART.runFunction(E:\webroot\worldsnowboard\Application.cfc:380) at cfApplication2ecfc953450218$funcONREQUEST.runFunction(E:\webroot\worldsnowboard\Application.cfc:75)

coldfusion.runtime.Cast$NumberConversionException: The value unknown cannot be converted to a number.
at coldfusion.runtime.Cast._double(Cast.java:762)
at coldfusion.runtime.Cast._double(Cast.java:632)
at cfvisitor2ecfc124068214$funcLOOKUPIPADDRESS.runFunction(E:\webroot\worldsnowboard\components\visitor.cfc:734)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:418)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ReturnTypeFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:360)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ArgumentCollectionFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:324)
at coldfusion.filter.FunctionAccessFilter.invoke(FunctionAccessFilter.java:59)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.runFilterChain(UDFMethod.java:277)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:192)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invokeUDF(CfJspPage.java:2471)
at cfvisitor2ecfc124068214$funcNEWSESSION.runFunction(E:\webroot\worldsnowboard\components\visitor.cfc:61)
at coldfusion.filter.SilentFilter.invoke(SilentFilter.java:47)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ReturnTypeFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:360)
at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ArgumentCollectionFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:324)
at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:448)
at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:308)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invoke(CfJspPage.java:2272)
at cfApplication2ecfc953450218$funcONSESSIONSTART.runFunction(E:\webroot\worldsnowboard\Application.cfc:380)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invokeUDF(CfJspPage.java:2471)
at cfApplication2ecfc953450218$funcONREQUEST.runFunction(E:\webroot\worldsnowboard\Application.cfc:75)
at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:448)
at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:308)
at coldfusion.runtime.AppEventInvoker.invoke(AppEventInvoker.java:74)
at coldfusion.runtime.AppEventInvoker.onRequest(AppEventInvoker.java:243)
at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:269)
at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:4Cool
at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40)
at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:86)
at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:70)
at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:2Cool
at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:3Cool
at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:46)
at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:3Cool
at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)
at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:175)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89)
at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:86)
at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:42)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46)
at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:94)
at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.service(FilterChain.java:101)
at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:106)
at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42)
at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:286)
at jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:543)
at jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable(JRunProxyService.java:203)
at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:320)
at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:428)
at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:266)
at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)

I didn't put the smilies in by the way!

NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, they def work:

http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/news/story/20100923whitelines.cfm
http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Samerberg Sue, which links are you referring to? try this one for austria which lists all the resorts reviewed in (you guessed it) austria.

edit: ps. welcome to snowHead wsgsteve!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 6-10-10 17:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
wsgsteve, welcome to snowHead 's and thank you for taking the time to get involved with plebs like me!

I think you hit the nail on the head...
Quote:

the brief was for 5 top resorts which are known the the Britsih audience

But the headline for the article reads "Top 5 Resorts in Austria" ... Not the same thing at all!

That has nothing to do with you - you answered the brief!

Richard_Sideways, I think Radstadt may rank in the top 5 cow pastures before Austrian resorts Crying or Very sad I just wish that the mag delivered what the headline promised.
snow report
Embarassed

I'll get a bit geeky - i think its having problems with your IP address Sue, bang goes my evening watching the telly ... it'll be working by the morning. Feel free to remove all that debugging nonsense from the post, i really should get a prettier error message!
ski holidays
wsgsteve, sorry if that is a problem for you. I copied and pasted the message I got so that people, including you, could see it was a genuine error report.

The links seem to be working fine now, but I'm on a different IP address. Usually when our work network blocks a web-site we get a totally different message, telling us to talk to our Network Administrator.

Tom W, sherlock235, I can now read the pages - I was using the links in the preceding posts and always getting the same message, so I tried the link to the magazine in wsgsteve's signature line - same message naturally.

Whilst I agree that the selection is "interesting" to say the least, maybe as a magazine you should also be introducing people to the opportunities offered by other areas. Just because they are not yet known in the UK, should not exclude them from a selection purporting to be about "The Top 5 in country X, Y or Z"

Then again, I prefer my ski areas not to be overrun, so maybe we'll just keep our best tips to ourselves wink Laughing NehNeh
snow report
Samerberg Sue, the wsg website and whitelines magazine are two separate entities. the wsg website is actually quite extensive in its coverage (e.g. 96 resorts in austria!) of resorts around the world. i imagine a lot of work went into getting it all set up.

(and i can tell you it's not an easy exercise to find out even basic info about resorts around the world as i'm in the middle of doing that myself at the moment wink.)
ski holidays
wsgsteve wrote:
Cheers Tom, without trying to hijack this post, i've had to put the 12th edition on hold indefinitely as we just cannot afford to produce it at the moment. We lost our major advertisers and then all the book shops have been squeezing more and more margin out of what they are prepared to buy it for. I'm a bit gutted as i'd splashed out on a new design but i didn't want to just re-print the same content, and it really needed a big overhaul and people will only do so much work for a few lift passes. It took me about 5 months of the year to put a new edition out (excluding the best bits which is obv visiting the resorts) and all my nicely paid freelance IT work dried up, so everything has been working against me!

We have diversified and launched the first book in our new snow-search series which is on Japan (award winning no less ...), and are now developing more in the series, but an we can only do an annual guide if we are able to get a sponsor with some deepish pockets. There is tons of new stuff on the WSG website though, and we are really focusing on that at the moment, but i agree that its not always obvious what has been updated.

Steve, it is a real shame as the book is brilliant. I almost pre-booked it a few days ago on amazon as they were still showing October release date Sad
I hope you it will work out soon.

PS I spend lots of time checking resorts info etc. so if there is a way I could somehow contribute to your website (updating piste maps, pictures, resort news or other basic data) - please pm me and I would be more than happy to do it - obviously for free!! Thanks
snow report
I wouldn't dispute Mayrhofen, St Anton, Ischgl and Saalbach/Hiterglemm being in the top 5. They are big and do have a lot to offer.
ski holidays
wsgsteve, always loved the WSG review of Val Gardena, don't change it, I still chuckle at the irreverence...........

"Val Gardena has the unfortunate history of being the place where a particularly sad Brit with a Russian name achieved a so-called top ski result (who gives a toss?)." Laughing

Has Konrad Bartelski ever told you that his name is of Polish origin?
The trouble is, he's probably now thinking..........

"WSG is guide for sad snowboarders who can't recognise sporting excellence and has now failed to get sponsorship for publication of its latest edition, but then who gives a toss?" wink

But I'm sure he's more charitable than that!

Here's hoping it does come together for the new edition!
latest report
Hi luigi, i've some bad news for you - i'm about halfway through an updated Val Gardena review, and there will be no more Mr Bartelski comments, but i'll try and stick something controversial in there just for you!

Samerberg Sue, i think i've sorted that issue with the site you were having, i'd love to know from you if it now works.

Tom W, Expect a PM very soon, and i am always looking for people to contribute and there are some great benefits to those you deliver the goods.

sherlock235, Agreed it's a nightmare collecting all the stats, i've developed a system so the resorts do most of that work directly these days. There are some content feeds you can license to save all the pain, contact Patrick Thorne at Snow365.com

flangesax, Just out of interest, what would your top-5 resorts be in Austria, and by top-5 lets say the best overall places to take a mixed group of people who have never visited this fine country?
snow conditions
What's the problem - been to all of those and many more - list is correct as far as I can see Toofy Grin Blimey they even got the order right Laughing
ski holidays
wsgsteve, dude.. I'm not gonna disclose that.. afterall I don't get paid for it!

Again, just to go over my point... why do the Brits consider these the top 5 resorts in Austria.. because 4/5 are the top destinations for tour operators... so that is where you are taken to on holiday which then casts the opinion that they are 'the best'.
ski holidays
wsgsteve, here's my five that slipped under the UK radar, in no particular order:

Damuls-Mellau-Faschina 98km

Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis 187km

Konigsleiten-Wald-Zillertal Arena 166km

Kals-Matrei-Grossglockner 110km

Nassfeld-Hermagor 110km

But that's not going to sell any holidays for the sponsors.............. Sad
latest report
flangesax, I thought you might have come back with Schladming, Obertauren, Flachau etc ... wink

I'm far from certain but i would say Kitzbuel and Kaprun/Zell am See would rank as two of the most popular destinations for UK visitors along with St.Anton, Mayrhofen & Saalbach. It would be interesting to see a definitive list of the most popular austrian resorts for UK visitors.
latest report
wsgsteve, that can be easily done as the tourist office in Austrian towns keep these records when they process tourist tax. This is then published every year with the percentages of each country... so there you go... do a bit of research and see what you can come up with.. I'm not because I am not a journalist who may bother to do some research.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy