Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PM Gear Bro Skis on Marker Dukes?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I fancy a powder ski that can introduce me to touring!

Soooo, I've come across a pair of 2 years (4 weeks of use) PM Gear Bro 183cm skis mounted on dukes, on ebay.

The auction (which originally started at a mere £300) has ended, but the seller still has them and he'll consider an offer from me.

Synopsis of the current model can be found here: http://www.pmgear.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=3&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=12

-> Firstly, I know very little about these skis, but from what I have, they shred and would be a great introduction to touring. What's the word on the street?

-> Secondly, what sort of a price should I be offering him?

Give me your thoughts. Snowheads, GO!!!!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get on TGR (Teton Gravity Research forum - tech talk) - loads of info. You might find 'everyone' loves the skis, so take with a pinch of salt, but it's probably the best place to find a reasonable amount of reviews. At the very least they should be light enough for easy skinning and fat/stiff enough to deal with most snow types.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PM Gear's skis tend to ski well but also have a bit of a reputation for delaminating. I'd find out from the seller whether the skis are part of the lot made by AK skis in Switzerland or whether they were made by PM Gear in Nevada. The Swiss ones are both stiffer and are generally thought to be more robust/better made. If that is the 2008 model, it should be a Swiss made version.

I have the 179, which is roughly the same ski. They are very stable and predictable in most types of snow, partly a function of having a 32m radius. As you can probably imagine, something with a 32m radius doesn't exactly turn itself but they are not difficult to ski. Kind of depends whether you like skis with not much sidecut or not.

I have mine rigged for touring with Dynafits and they tour well as the ski itself is not heavy (I think about 3.5kg the pair in the 179 minus the bindings). Not sure what the total weight is going to be with Dukes for the 183 but that looks more like a 1-2hrs from the lift set up than 4-5hrs up from the valley to me but then I'm lazy.

I'd start negotiating at the £300 mark and go from there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Considered by many (at least on TGR) to be one of the best touring skis. I have a pair of 191 Lhasa POW's and I love them... I'm on my second set as the first one (186 Lhasa) de-laminated but that does not mean they all do. As for the Dukes, from what read they are fine for short walks but too heavy and unreliable for long tours. I agree with Gorilla -They are an alpine binding which allows you to do some walking -not a touring binding which allows to alpine ski. Caveat -I don't tour and have never used dukes but I skied Marker Jesters (non touring version of the binding) and liked them alot!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies so far. As far as dukes go, I know what I'll be getting with them. I'm not going to be doing massive all dayers yet so I'm not fussed. I'll have a read of TGR later on and see what they say.

gorilla, thanks for the warning, I'll get on to the seller as to where they were manufactured.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fergus, I would be careful of these as "intro to touring" skis. They are stiff and straight and will require excellent technique and some effort to turn. They are popular on TGR because if you have the ability to ski them they will work everywhere including 50 degree icy pitches.

Also, be very careful of PM Gear build quality. The pair they set me were very poor quality. I wouldn't touch 2nd hand ones without having seen them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for that extra advice, BobinCH.

As it turns out, I let the deal pass me by and never got back to the seller with an offer. I just couldn't justify getting another pair of skis when they would get very little use. As far as ski ability goes, I reckon I'd at least be able to do them a little bit of justice, so I will probably be kicking myself that I never bought them. But never mind, I'm sure another deal will come up when I'm ready to part with the cash
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy