Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daypacks/rucksacks - advice wanted.

Poster: A snowHead
Am very keen on buying an Osprey Kode daypack, probably the 30L size but would consider the 22L. Do fellow snowHeads have any experience/tips/advice/comments on (a) the different sizes of Kode on offer and (b) any other daypacks - both Osprey and non-Osprey - which are good for a day's skiing. It is specifically a reasonably sized daypack with skicarry capability I'm considering, nothing bigger. Once again, thanks in advance for the knowledge.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
30l is pretty big for a daypack unless you are carrying skins, rope etc

the kode looks pretty nice but i have no direct experience of them. i've been using a black diamont covert (with avalung) for the last few seasons. it's a decent pack and has been updated in the last season or so - look out for discounts on holder ones. it's quite minimalist but has all the stuff i need
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, Do you think 30L is OK if you are carrying skin's ropes etc. for day touring?

I have to buy one, don't want something as large as 40L (as also recommended.)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the 22L in large size (which is actually 24L). It's very comfortable on my 6'4" frame. It has enough room to carry the essentials, but not much more. The ski carry system is easy to use and the straps seem to support them well without too much strain as the pack fits so well.

All depends what you want to do really. If you're looking just for a back pack to carry sandwiches and juice in then i'd say there's just as good cheaper alternatives out there. If you're looking for a well made pack that can carry skis, has a wet gear compartment, easy access, can carry a shovel and probe plus a few other bits and pieces then the kode is good pack. there's probably better out there though if you can afford them. One thing i like that is a good touch is the way the straps pull to bring the bag snug on your back and the inbuilt safety whistle which is a nice wee touch.

make sure you try on the packs to get the correct fit though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
david@mediacopy, my covert is 32l and i used that for an overnight including glacier travel. it was a bit tight but OK. i am quite big so spare clothing takes up more space than smaller people! i went on a week-long hut to hut tour with someone who used the same pack for that. that would be too small for me. i use a 38l pack (Marmot La Meije - best touring pack ever IMO) for hut to hut touring

i generally think it is good discipline to have a slightly too small pack. you tend to fill any space you have.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shoogly - you're telling me what I want to hear - sounds like we're about the same size in torso length too. A S&R sales bloke told me that Osprey tends to understate its capacity sizings which matches with your comment.
Arno - good point on load discipline but before giving in to temptation to pop in the kitchen sink, I always try and imagine how the load will feel six hours, many miles and vertical later...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno,
Quote:
i generally think it is good discipline to have a slightly too small pack. you tend to fill any space you have.

Too true.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have no problems with the BD Covert 32, and doubt I'd go smaller for any offpsite pack, just to put it out there. Obviously the avalung is a bonus too, but I've used it solidly for 1 season + 8 weeks skiing + a year of everyday use (minus the 8 weeks) and it doesn't have a single sign of wear n tear... Pretty bomber IMHO.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david@mediacopy, I have an Osprey somewhere which has the "all round" zip - it's only a 20L and it is fine for a day's touring. 2 things I found important - it has very easy access for layering/de-layering and, forbid, if I had to get at my shovel and probe, they're right there too. If it's just for day trips, you don't need a great deal, do you?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all - based on your comments, the 22L will do me fine. Decision made SBS (Sorted By SnowHeads)!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, If it were solely my choice it would be something like a 20L. Walking up hill is hard enough wink However there may be some shared equipment to be shared among the group, hence the need for a bit extra.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use a Black Diamond 22l covert. Very adequate for me as an off-piste day sack - and it carries skis OK. I haven't used it for touring, not do I carry rope /harness in it, but I do carry shove and probe.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Big Paua, Bargain here for achilles, 's covert with built in avalung.
http://www.klmountainshop.com/covert-22l-avalung-backpack.html?avad=11193_eec377f
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can recommend the Haglofs 25l pack - powder surf I think it's called. Used it for several weeks and it's excellent. Well built, decent ski carrying, comfortable and pockets in all the right places. I think only one shop over here sells their stuff, although I might be wrong
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for Kode 22l - it's a great piece of kit - I sourced mine from sport Conrad who have a wider range of colours than most UK outfits. All Osprey stuff comes with a lifetime guarantee and the quality is top notch.
latest report
I have an original heli-pack & it is still going strong, if a little faded, so can certainly attest to the build quality. I do wonder why you need such a big pack for day trips unless you are carrying glacier kit.
I can fit a comprehensive first aid kit, tool kit, shovel, probe, skins, water etc etc in my little heli-pack.
The thing to watch for with smaller packs is whether they still have a decent carrying system. Look for decent wide straps, a proper hip belt & a chest strap.
Its going to be heavy when you have skis strapped to it.
Also a carrying handle on the top is really useful in cable cars & helicopters.
ski holidays
This is worth reading, it's climbing related but the salient points apply here: http://bobwightman.co.uk/climb/alp-gear.php

I could get all the gear I needed for Verbier-Zermatt into a heli-pro admittedly with careful packing but not so careful it took more than a minute or two to get it all in.
snow conditions
Alan McGregor, I just bought the lighter 20l Dakine Heli Pro as the 15l mountain bike pack I had been using was a little over stuffed with avi kit, food and spare layer. The ski carry system will be a god send too as fatter skis are not easy to plod up ridges with.

I have to admit that for climbing I do prefer a 35l extendable to 45. If you have a long walk in it does make life a little easier and for winter routes it'll take a duvet jacket and bivi bag.
latest report
Got a 20l Dakine Heli Pro in a sale last year. Certainly well made, but a bit heavy and with lots of dangly bits to catch in chair lifts. Fits snugly to back and feels very secure.
ski holidays
welshskier, Did you get the standard or the DLX version... it's a bit heavier... 700g as opposed to 1500g?
ski holidays
Alan McGregor, I've a Heli-pack too. Excellent and still going strong.
snow conditions
Scarpa, Dunno - weighed it and it's 1500g. Back is well padded and acts like a back protector (I think!).
ski holidays
welshskier, Yeah.. that's the higher spec'd version. Lighter one is half the weight but no back protection.
ski holidays
While we're on the gear selection subject, any recommendations on altimeters ?
ski holidays
Jimmjimm - thanks for the tip and the link to the Avalung version. I'm kinda settled on the Kode and the 22l size will do I all I need I think. ( I reserve the right to completely rethink that statement if I ever find myself buried under six feet of fast settling avalanche debris). Cheers
snow report
Arno, I've been checking out the 32L covert and it looks pretty tempting. A bit lighter than the other options, and cheaper (sans Avalung) than my other choice, the Dakine Poacher.

Do you happen to know if it's possible to retro fit the Avalung when funds allow ?
ski holidays
pretty sure the answer is no.
you can get a separate avalung but that has its own harness which adds a bit of faff if you're taking layers on and off
it's a good pack though
snow report
Arno, Cheers, I think I'll give it a go.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy