Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressony

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

One question, as I know the skiing in the monta rosa valley is top class.
I'm wanting to know what the nightlife is like?

George
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can hear a garage door slam at two miles.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
milnerhome, nil to non-existent?

Top class sking? Just what do you mean?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
milnerhome, nil to non-existent?

Top class sking? Just what do you mean?

Just to expand on myself, Monterosa offers top class ski mountaineering and touring. Off piste without skins is frequently ragged and limited.

On piste is a bit limited as well, especially if full of Italians e.g. Jan 2.

It has much to recommend it, but I suspect your definition of "top class skiing" is not what it is...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
Off piste without skins is frequently ragged and limited.

but also can be fantastic.......without skins........with a guide......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ah, night life sounds wild then!

I've been told by people who've skiied the area that lift accessed off piste is very good, and you've got the option of using a guide if you feel like it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
milnerhome, alas snow record hasn't been great over last few seasons with notable exception of 2008/2009. Also Quite a lot of south facing stuff so quickly turns crusty. There are less risky choices for lift served off piste.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hmmm, all good points, but its a chance at a relatively cheap (free) family holiday, so I'm just wondering if it would be worth going.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
milnerhome, I loved the area (stayed in Alagna) and the piste skiing seemed pretty good. If you get lucky with conditions off piste could also be epic. I can recommend an English speaking Italian guide based in Monterosa. PM me if you want his details.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski,
Quote:

can be

yep, just not so frequently as, say, Chamonix

milnerhome, but FFS, "free"? What are you waiting for? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sorry for the delayed response.

BobinCH, I'll PM you.

got a question though, does anyone know how simple it is to get to cervinia from Gressony?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
milnerhome, I did a season in Gressoney about 10 years ago and unless it has changed dramatically, there is no nightlife in Gressoney-la-Trinite. It's better in Gressoney St Jean which is about 3km's down the valley, where there are more bars, restaurants and a club.

The piste skiing is OK but nothing special, better to head over the Champoluc where it's more varied.

Off-piste is fantastic if the conditions are good and it has probably the best value heliskiing in the Alps. There is one particular trip I would recommend: Helicopter up to the Col de Lys on the Monte Rosa then 22 km - all offpiste - into Zermatt. Then you take the cable car up to the Piccolo Cervino for the off-piste decent into Champoluc. Absolutely superb.

One of the best mountain guides in the area is Carlo, who is based at the Hotel Du Four in Gressoney. He speaks excellent English.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
milnerhome, on skis? Or in a car. IN a car it's down to the bottom of the valley, along the autostrada and up to Cervinia.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jzBun, thanks for the personal experience info, looks like there'll be a 3km trek every night! Laughing

I'd been thinking about Heli-skiing, prices seem reasnoble compared with the rest of the Alps.

under a new name,
with ski's I'd say.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jzBun, just out of interest, which company did you use for heliskiing?
ski holidays
Forgot to mention something else which is a must if you have the opportunity. An overnight stay at the Rifugio Guglielmina. Located 200m from the top of the Salati gondola 2,900m. They have twin rooms, great food and, more importantly, the chance to be the first on the mountain in the morning.
http://www.rifugioguglielmina.com
snow report
milnerhome, correct answer.
snow conditions
milnerhome, I used a chap called CARLO CUGNETTO who's family run the Hotel Dufour. He runs a company called Guide Monte Rosa,

http://www.guidemonterosa.com/heli-guides/heliskiing_monterosa/summer/it/index.htm?navId=3689

As a rep for Crystal, I used to sell the heliski trips and also the guiding services. Carlo would then reward me by giving me a free place in the helicopter! As you can imagine, I was quite enthusiastic when selling these excursions to Crystal guests.

Quote:
looks like there'll be a 3km trek every night!

There is a local taxi firm in Gressoney st. Jean. However when I was there the taxi driver was also the DJ at the night club. He would put on a 15 min. mix tape in the club while he taxied people around. Consequently he drove like a nutter to get back to the club before the tape ran out.
ski holidays
jzBun,
thanks for your great response Very Happy
I'm going to go for a bit of heli-skiing, it seems a good price for what you get. Will enquire with the above company.
Sounds like a fun taxi journey awaits Wink
snow report
jzBun,
thanks for your great response Very Happy
I'm going to go for a bit of heli-skiing, it seems a good price for what you get. Will enquire with the above company.
Sounds like a fun taxi journey awaits Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy