Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting to Paradiski form Geneva advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We are a group of four flying in to Geneva on the 12th Feb (half term!) and are going to the Paradiski area (probably La Plagne)

I have been looking at the various ways of getting from airport to resort and using a transfer company is very expensive so I suppose hiring a car wouldbe the next best thing unless anyone else knows of any other ways?

We would need an estate car at the minimum (due to snowboard bags) and the cheapest I have found is roughly £350 all in for 5 days.

Anybody know of any cheap car hire companies that they have used?

Any advice massively welcome

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holyjasper, Walk - you'll probably get there faster than trying to drive...

Overdoing it a bit on the estate car 'as a minimum' - done MUC to Kitz, 5 up with 2x board bags (in the car) and it was quite squashed but do able..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holyjasper, Try a car hire comparison site such as www.carrentals.co.uk . It is showing £260 for an estate car for those 5 days from Geneva. Also look at both the Swiss and French sides when renting from Geneva airport. Sometimes you find a difference in price, more availability etc.
The pros and cons of renting from the French or Swiss side have been discussed many times on snowheads. If you do a search you will find loads of opinions on the best option.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are going Saturday - Saturday and you aren't set on getting a car we might be able to help with Geneva Transfers by mini bus to Paradiski, Espace Killy and 3 Valleys throughout winter 2010/11. Contact me joanne.mountainsunltd@talktalk.net
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holyjasper, rent a car, it is easy and cheaper than buses or taxis. You can get a oneway rental for each day you travel if you do not wish to keep the car all week. Just book it with Europacar, online is cheapest. You have to drop the car off in Bourg and collect it from there but if you are in Les Arcs that is not a problem.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
holyjasper, if I infer correctly that you have not yet booked your accommodation, I'd do that first before deciding on the transfer option. In some accommodation a car of your own could be very useful.

where are you based? I think most of the english half terms start the following week.

Presumably you'll be renting an apartment then coming back before the end of the week? that'll make your journey back to Geneva a lot more civilised.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think Bens Bus (www.bensbus.co.uk) stops at Bourg if you are going to Les Arcs - about £60 - £70 return. Otherwise, check whether your accom offers cheap transfers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Holyjasper,

You could get altibus from GVA to Bourg - quite costly as I recall it was about 50-60 euro for a one-way from BSM to the airport last summer.

The car hire route has much going for it; try Holiday Autos or Car3000, both are well reviewed by SH community. Be aware that swiss-side car hire comes with winter kit, sometimes French side is an extra charge (also car return to French side is a bit of a bug to find, and I talked with someone recently who was charged £200 by the car hire company because he left his french-side hire car in the swiss-side car park bcause he got lost and ran out of time for his flight).

See you on the slopes of Paradiski Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
detailed directions elsewhere on snowheads - but the Swiss side is generally better for a variety of reasons, mainly the snow tyres you always get (though not always without an extra charge).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, if you ever have to pay for winter tyres on the swiss side they are breaking the law as there insurance requires all rented cars to have them if registered in switzerland. That is what the TCS (Swiss AA) told me when I asked them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowcrazy, there are several reports of exactly this happening at Geneva. They're not breaking the law - the cars are fitted with winter tyres - but some Snowheads have also had to pay the additional charge. There was extensive discussion about it at the time. There was no option to avoid the charge by NOT having winter tyres - because they are compulsory. Yes, it's a bit mad but yes, it sometimes happens.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Look at getting car from the french side of GVA... It is generally a fair bit cheaper, but as has been said, the return can be an back bottom to locate, so leave plenty of time...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

can be an back bottom to locate

only if you don't know where it is - there are detailed instructions on snowheads.

The key problem with the French side is the lack of winter tyres and - sometimes - difficulty of getting even a set of chains. The price differences vary, they're not invariably cheaper. If you have to spend 40 francs on a motorway vignette that also eats into any difference.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AlpineAddict, [quote]
Quote:

Look at getting car from the french side of GVA... It is generally a fair bit cheaper, but as has been said, the return can be an back bottom to locate, so leave plenty of time...

As pam w, says, it is quite easy when you know how. Don't turn off the motorway at the exit for Geneva airport but take the one after it and follow the signs for Ferney. Turn left immediately after the French border control and you follow the road all the way to the car hire return.
You can even go on google maps, steetview and do a trial run before you go out there (at least the bit on the Swiss side where you exit the motorway).

It is also possible to buy a vignette before you go out there. They are available from official sources but are a lot cheaper on ebay.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi,

In my experience, if you don't need a hire car for the accomodation, this options turns out to be more faff than it's worth. By the time you've spent 30mins picking the hire car up, you might as well have jumped on the public bus.

You can book the public bus here: http://www.altibus.com/index.aspx which goes to La Plagne, Les Arcs or Peisey Valandry. For Montchavin / Les Coches stop see if your holiday company can pick you up from Bourg.

The other option to think about is a minibus transfer. They generally work out not too much more than the public bus if you can fill the seats, and have the advantage that fitting the boards in is someone else's problem! Have a look at cool bus (http://www.thecoolbus.co.uk/) who have a forum where you can hook up with other groups.

Happy planning!

Heather
snow report
Guys

Thanks very much for all the advice and after much deliberating I have found a minibus transfer for roughly the same price we would heva paid for the car and to save on all the hassle if anything goes wrong and also to allow me (the nominated driver) to have a few beers on both the transfer days I have decided to book this option.

Many thanks once again!

George
snow report
holyjasper, sounds a good idea; you'll be specially glad if it's chucking it down with snow.
snow report
Sounds perfect - have a great holiday.

Heather
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy