Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid fat all rounder options

Poster: A snowHead
Currently running some old nordica enforcers which have been good but i would like something a bit wider (around 110ish waist I guess). We generally aim to be on piste as little as possible but inevitably due to snow conditions, that's not always a great option so some piste performance would be good, although not really at the expense of performance in other areas. Would also like something lightish if possible as they will probably be set up with touring bindings for some day tours here and there and potentially the very occasional multi day trip.

I've been looking at the Black Crows Atris which from what I've read seem to fit the bill pretty well but they're fairly pricey and don't seem to be available from that many places. Does anyone know of any other similar alternatives that would be worth checking out? Also, if i did got with the Black Crows, I wasn't sure what length to go for. My current skis are 185cm. I'm about 190cm but not that heavy and having not skied rocker much before, I wasn't sure whether I should be looking at a different length. Options are 169, 178, 184 or 190. First guess would be the 184 but with rocker, maybe 190?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check-out the 186cm Whitedot R108 in either traditional or CarbonLite construction or their 191cm Director in either traditional or CarbonLite.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you haven't skied rockers much and prefer a tradition camber the Whitedot Preacher traditional or Carbonlite may be an option which also handles very well on piste, fine for day tours but shovels may be a bit too fat for multi-day tours and icy traverses.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bit narrower than you are asking for but the new Nordica Enforcer looks interesting

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2015-2016-nordica-enforcer-2
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A friend of mine is on the Nordica team, and (really really) RIPS piste gs turns on his Patrons (113mm). He's an ex-racer and is more than happy with their piste performance).

The Atris is quite soft... I think if you go that way you should definitely size up.

New 4FRNT KYE 110 could fit the bill? http://4frnt.com/collections/skis/products/kye-110

I fondled some at ISPO, and think they'd make a great allrounder. Plenty of camber with some tip/tail rocker, so should be excellent on hard snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm, thanks for the info guys, the Patrons look decent, as do the Kye's although (probably completely unfounded) I always thought 4frnt were just park/freestyle skis. The Whitedot stuff looks pretty nice too but what are the main differences between the ranger and the director? They sound pretty similar and I'm not really sure quite what the differences translate to in reality. Also what's the reason for not showing prices on the website spyderjon? The RRPs are well above what the others seem to be for sale for.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@el nombre, if you email/PM me your requirements I'd be pleased to put a ski/binding &/or QK inserts package together for you.
Ranger:
2mm camber
310mm tip rocker
Flat (almost) tail
Medium stiff flex underfoot

Director:
Zero camber
300mm tip rocker
300mm tail rocker
Medium flex underfoot
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
el nombre wrote:
as do the Kye's although (probably completely unfounded) I always thought 4frnt were just park/freestyle skis.

No definitely not - it was Hoji's skis (like the EHP and Renegade) that really made them (at least for me).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bit of a thread bump but having looked around a bit more, I'm pretty tempted by the Faction Candide 3.0 as last years model is going for a reasonable price. Does anyone have any thoughts on length? They come in 183 and 191 and although i've just double checked my height (191 with shoes on), I'm only 65ish kg so wondering if the extra length is really necessary. They do have some rocker but it's not as significant as some.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@el nombre, actually they have quite a lot of rocker (length of it rather than height, but length is more important - longer and lower the better IMO), and you'd def want the 191s. They're not stiff skis.

Personally I'm not so keen on the traditional full length side cut of the Factions.

And as you were wondering about 4FRNTs being mostly park/jib skis, that's exactly what the Candides are - just wider.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ahh, sorry skis. Read the title and thought I was on Tinder/Grinder.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999 you raise a reasonable point about being jib skis. The reason I originally asked about 4frnt is because they're a brand I really didn't know much about and there isn't all that much info on the kyes relative to other brands. Having found what I could, I would have been happy to go with them but I couldn't find them for less than £485 which is a fair bit more than other options I've been considering. While the factions are kind of a jib ski, from the info I've found, they sound like they should work pretty well as an all rounder and they're a fair bit lighter than the majority of options which would be nice for touring with.

With regards to the sidecut, I've never skied anything with tip taper so I'm not really sure what the pros and cons are of one or the other.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@el nombre, full sidecut vs taper depends on how you like to ski I guess.

I prefer straighter skis with tips not much wider than the waist: rather than constantly wanting to turn or hook up into a turn - and turn in one specific radius on skis with really aggressive sidecut - they're happy being neutral pointing down the hill until you tell them when to turn and how much. I find that makes it easier to do both big stable GS turns and short pivot/smear turns equally well.

Though tbh it's probably not exactly huge a difference, and only really notable in grabby 3D snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Slight digression - is ~110mm classed as mid-fat?

I've tried using 108mm as an all rounder (K2 sidestash) and they worked OK, great in powder, crud and fine on-piste but maybe a bit too much like hard work on hard pack all day (it happens). I lived with it because skiing is fun, they gripped like heck on anything and were pretty fast and anyway sore knees just meant I'd had a good day, right?

Then I went on an early season trip and cover was a bit thin so I bought a pair of battered old 98mm Scott Crusades on eBay. Turned out they were a lot more fun on most snow, no sore knees and yes, they are also good in soft snow. So, now I regard my K2s as powder skis and will be getting a pair of 98mm for all round skis (Bonafides are top of my list, but I wouldn't rule out a new pair of Scotts either).

Anyhoo, if you are set on getting 110mm skis then I'm sure the advice above is good, but I just thought I'd share my experience of using that width as an all-rounder.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the input. In my eyes anything over 120 is proper fat and things around 100 are mid range, hence the mid fat tag but I guess its subjective.

My current enforcers are 98mm under foot and they're decent on piste but just lacking a bit of surface area for what I want.

I hadn't really intended on getting something 110+ originally but I'm being swayed by a trip to Japan in January and also by the fact my buddy uses his black diamond megawatts as his everyday ski and they're 125 underfoot. He doesn't necessarily love them on piste but they do the job and he much prefers them off piste.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
.....I prefer straighter skis with tips not much wider than the waist: rather than constantly wanting to turn or hook up into a turn - and turn in one specific radius on skis with really aggressive sidecut - they're happy being neutral pointing down the hill until you tell them when to turn and how much. I find that makes it easier to do both big stable GS turns and short pivot/smear turns equally well......

+1
snow report
el nombre wrote:
Thanks for the input. In my eyes anything over 120 is proper fat and things around 100 are mid range, hence the mid fat tag but I guess its subjective.

My current enforcers are 98mm under foot and they're decent on piste but just lacking a bit of surface area for what I want.

I hadn't really intended on getting something 110+ originally but I'm being swayed by a trip to Japan in January and also by the fact my buddy uses his black diamond megawatts as his everyday ski and they're 125 underfoot. He doesn't necessarily love them on piste but they do the job and he much prefers them off piste.

Ah well, if you're going to Japan I guess 110mm is probably an all round ski then:-)

I couldn't ski 125mm on piste. Well, I guess I *could*, but I doubt I'd find it much fun. Each to his/her own.

Enjoy Japan!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy