Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Technica Phoenix Air Shell

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone used these boots - (i.e. the Air Shell feature)?

Are they more than just a gimmick?

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on these, both boot fitters and customers.

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i tried and a pair and was really impressed with the hold
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fr0sty, i'm not convinced by it, feels ok in the shop, but what happens when it gets to altitude, does it need to be constantly played with to top it up??? does cold air put in when at the top of a lift cause your feet to get cold??? what happens if it bursts?

i think if tyhe shell shape fits well in the first place it may be ok, but it shouldn't be used as a way to make a poorly fitting boot fit the foot
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They appear to have been well received during their launch, however, many of the awards they received are for ingenuity rather than endurability.

I agree about the shell fit; I hope that the general idea is to prolong the useable life of the liner. By allowing the skiier to 'pump' the boot back to a close fit, you can ski for the life of the boot without swapping, rather than for the life of the liner.

I hadn't even considered the altitude factor as something which a ski boot company would miss during R&D, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

I wondered whether if such a proprietary design proved successful, they might sell the patents - (or more likely inspire a degree of competitive homage...)

It could be a useful invention.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nordica did it years ago with the tridant boot.... and with other models .... it didn't last long then!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bump.
Just seen an advert for these (Technica Phoenix Air Shell) does anyone else have an opinion or experience of them?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some poster on Epicski that has tested them, said it was like taking a shower with a coat on, no snow feel at all.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sugardaddy, Did they attribute that to anything - was it that the air cushion acted too much like a cushion and insulated the foot too much (like a shock absorber would) from the feeling on the snow?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sugardaddy wrote:
Some poster on Epicski that has tested them, said it was like taking a shower with a coat on, no snow feel at all.

like that description, whilst i have not skied in it, i have spoken to enough testers who have and that echos exactly what they have said
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This strikes me as a very bad idea. Yes, the air is going to flow around your foot and fit its shape exactly but what happens when you brace your foot? The air will just flow away to an area of lower pressure and your foot will be allowed to bend. I hope there are lots of constrictions so that this can't happen too quickly. And, as CEM says, what happens when you go up the mountain?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm selling them.. So far the best feedback I have had is from 2 instructors.

When snowploughing for hours on end and walking around, the little extra room is a real benifit. Then for free skiing pump it up. I'm not saying that the boots are upsized. They have to be for the correct foot shape.
So far I have sold Pheonix 100 and 80. I used them last season and no issues with exploding airbags.

The shape and flex of the boots is not aimed at high performance skiers. It seems from what I have seen of next seasons boots that Comfort is a big selling point from the likes of Salomon. so for the right type of skier I think the airshell is a good option.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi- Newguy, first post ! (been lurking for a while)

Great resource and funny too

Just got a pair of these and seems I've walked into a S%%%storm. Left my 15yr old Langs on the piste at Jasper in Feb and, as I've just booked Banff (big 3) again, so I thought I'd need some boots..................never really had a problem with fit etc but my liners were shot so thought I'd benifit from the last 15yrs development etc etc wink

Weeks on snow 50+, started skiing N.America 20 years ago to get away from the queues and crowds in Europe. Skied Kicking Horse before the Gondola was installed (or the road!!) but I've a bum knee now and 'her in doors' broke her leg in Meribel 8 yrs ago so our double diamond bumps days are over...........SO (back to the boots) Remember guys, some of us just ski for the crack, the glory is a bonus, but not so much now'er days Cool

Agree comment else where about buying at the start of the season, full choice and time to do it properly

I wanted a bit more comfort, and my 'fitter' recommended these, after a good look at my feet on the size board, as a good foot fit at 105 width. However, based on my experience, he recommended the full race boot, see comments else where. When I told him I was stepping down a notch and wanted my last years to be comfortable we agreed on these. Didn't even get the air shell thing explained really, good fit, custome footbed of course, discounted the custom foam (for now) and discovered the air shell on my own and figure I can use it around the ankle as and when required. Dutch courage for a double diamond, extra clip, two pumps, flick the extra stiff switch, slug of slow gin and see you at the bottom.

I'll report after I've actually skied in them, hope they hold as well as the Langs use to and add some much needed comfort and, when I go back, hope they don't blow up on the North American Chair (13,000ft Very Happy )
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The air boot concept in not new. Over 30 years ago Lowa produced an air boot which was followed by Nordica and Raichle all of which were successful. The problems of altitude, bags bursting ect ect, to my knowledge were never an issue and all of these boots were on the market for many years before they replaced. In fact, in it's day the Nordica Trident was the biggest selling ski boot model in the world. I'm sure that Technica would not have re-visited that technology if they felt that the performance wasn't up to it and could be improved, especially given their relationship with Nordica.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM seems very opinionated, Has he skied in these boots and does he stock them, or is he trying to steer business to what he stocks? How wide is an Airshell?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

CEM seems very opinionated,

He is Scottish Very Happy
snow report
inside edge wrote:
CEM seems very opinionated, Has he skied in these boots and does he stock them, or is he trying to steer business to what he stocks? How wide is an Airshell?

TBF he only commented on feedback he has been given a previous experience with similar systems.

Ski Simon, Golden, he is definately Scottish!

IMO they actually feel quite good on and I wish I had skiied in them on the test to see what the response was like.

I think the proof is in the pudding and if they work for someone then great, if not then so be it! What's more important is that the shell is correct for the foot and of so then the liner is a bit of a gimic, but works, and it is guaranteed against breaking so....
snow report
I own a set of the old Nordica Air boots and loved them. I was researching patents to see if I could reintroduce the 'air' again via Full Tilt boots when I heard about Technica re-introducing the concept. I jumped at the chance and bought some. They are sitting in the Alps waiting for the coming season. I do not think they are a gimmick, I think they make absolute sense. We go up and down mountains and our feet re-size all the time. After one pro boot fitting experience in London I shall never again get boots fitted anywhere but altitude (if then).

I shall report back but I fully expect my experience to match the comfort I get from my old Nodicas (which I still ski on occasion!). To answer the high performance point above - I ski better when my boots are not trying to strangle my foot. I ski faster and I ski more accurately. I also get waaaaaay more pleasure. The air adjustment in the Nordicas allowed you to adjust the pressure to levels higher than foam alone will allow but at the same time shaped to your the front of your shin not only eliminating rubbing but providing a perfect fit. As a bonus the air pocket helps keep your foot warmer! The best bit in the Nordicas was not actually the air bit - which was great - but the heel strap. You had a ratchet band that you could micro-adjust that passed over the top of your ankle and allowed you to pull your ankle into a heel trap in the boot liner. It meant that even when your toes were 'loose' your heel could be planted very firmly (if you wished) into the heel and thus improved transfer a great deal as heel lift was eliminated without clamping down the foot until blood departed (or ensued externally). It also allowed top down adjustment for different arch heights.

http://youtube.com/v/nsRItwLMOww

In case you did not get it from the above, I am real fan of the whole concept. I will feel 'disappointed' if the new experience does not live up to the old one. I do not think Technica actually did a great job in that (i) their air adjustment is primarily aimed at width fitting only and (ii) the Nordica Airs were, IMHO, more advanced than the Phoenix 100's. I am hoping Technica will step up in the future and do it right!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy