Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lessons - your experiences

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst at the gym this morning, thinking about how my 50 minutes/day 5-6 days a week should really improve my skiing experience in 16 weeks or so, I started to think about the lessons I'd had over the years.

This was mainly about the relationship between fitness and technique - whether one, to a certain extent, can overcome the other.

I was a relative late starter at skiing - 38. I'm now 46. When I started I was on the rather heavy, unfit side. I've had 20 weeks skiing since with 30 hours instruction including 12.5 hours in one week as part of a determined effort to push my ability on to another level. Over the last 8 years, I've variously been reasonably fit and "svelt" or, like now, a porker!

Obviously there is a correlation between fitness and technique in so far that the fitter one is, the more likely the ability to ski longer, better.

So, I was curious....I have 1.5 hours worth of tuition for every week that I've skied. I can tackle most slopes/conditions confidently, I've taken part in a few local GS competitions. I had my first proper off-piste lesson earlier this year to get to grips with the one thing I've not pushed myself to - loved it incidentally, but realise that there is a long way to go before being super-confident.

All people learn at different rates for varying reasons, but I wondered what other people's experiences are, and whether there is any kind of rough "rule of thumb" for determining what one could reasonably expect to commit to in terms of lessons. I totally appreciate this may depend on what one wants to get out of their skiing. For me, it's being able to ski in control, on a variety of terrain, fast if I want to and to do more competitions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chasseur, if you're spending that long in the gym, how come you're still a porker? You should be like a piece of string.

I think you only have to look around on any piste to see how technique is more important than fitness. Being fit and strong but having poor technique just means you can throw yourself around inefficiently for longer before you collapse. wink I suppose there's also an important distinction between general cardio-vascular fitness and specific muscle groups - and between general recreational skiers and competitors. Obviously competitive athletes in any sport need top fitness - but for the rest of us, technique is more important. But within technique I'd include balance - definitely something you can work on off the slopes.

Complete couch potatoes need to get out and do some exercise to get much out of a ski holiday - but that's not the issue here, is it? People who are overweight also need to lose it and efforts to strengthen the supporting leg muscles (quads and hamstrings particularly) are always well worthwhile. Even a small amount of extra weight puts huge additional stress on the knees and given that skiing does that too, it's a bit of a recipe for disaster to be an overweight skier with weak leg muscles and poor technique. As we've discussed elsewhere that neatly sums up a large number of middle aged female skiers (and maybe some young ones too). there are plenty of fat men skiing too - but I think they generally have stronger leg muscles.

So my conclusion would be that there are three important goals:

work on technique
    lose excess weight
    strengthen leg muscles in a balanced fashion (not all quads)

but no need to become superman!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree as long as your general fitness is good then as a recreational skier people should be ok. I find it doesn't matter how much I try to strengthen my legs I always ache on the second day but carry on and by the 3rd day I'm pain free. It is very hard to stimulate the exact way muscles are used for skiing, therefore when you come to actually ski the muscles feel it. But having said that being fit and slim can't be a bad thing.

I also ride horses and it is very similar in that I am not the fittest strongest person in the world but I could ride a horse for a considerable amount of time and not feel a thing as my muscles are used to being used in that way regularly. But a very fit, strong well worked out person could ride a horse when not use to it and the next day really ache.

On the lesson front. I think these are under used by many (me included). I was taught by my dad until I was 5. Then went to ski school on and off from 6-16yrs. Then didn't bother because of the extra expense. And to be honest I never really improved in that spell. I could ski all terrain that I wanted to (was crap on big bumps) so I just skied with family and friends. Then when I was 24 I went where Ski School was included so I decided to give it a go again. Well it was fab, really good fun, learnt loads of new things to help with bumps, powder etc. Then again at 26 it was the same senario. Best weeks skiing ever with the best ski instructor I've ever had.

Then last season reverted back to no lessons as not included. It was good but I can't say I felt I'd improved in the week. Although my confidence was still sky high from the two previous ski holidays.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I never see it worth paying for lessons but my best ski weeks have been when in ski school! Insane really, but that how it works with me.

Good technique makes fitness much less of an issue.

Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

It is very hard to stimulate the exact way muscles are used for skiing

You can get pretty close with the correct kind of squats and lunges. But the usual cause of big thigh ache is poor technique (weight too far back). It happens to me off piste - and it's definitely a failure of technique rather than muscles. The only time my quads ache on piste is if conditions are a bit difficult (lumpy fresh snow on piste which has been skied quite a lot, typically) and I'm being defensive and pathetic.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The biggest step i have taken in my 23 year 'ski development' was doing an instructor course (BASI level 1) a few years ago. Not only did it improve my skiing overall but it has also given me a complete uderstanding of how and why ski techniques work.

Plus you get a shiney badge at the end (as long as you pass)

Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Chasseur, if you're spending that long in the gym, how come you're still a porker? You should be like a piece of string.

Because I only joined 3 weeks ago Embarassed Oh, and I've never been a piece of string - frame is much too big!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

thinking about how my 50 minutes/day 5-6 days a week should really improve my skiing experience in 16 weeks

Ah, I see. There's a word missing from that quote. wink Well good luck with that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chasseur wrote:
This was mainly about the relationship between fitness and technique - whether one, to a certain extent, can overcome the other.

I think technique contributes significantly more to a week's skiing holiday than fitness. If I had to choose it would be technique every time. Fitness will help you make the most of your technique, but it won't compensate for poor technique.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Good technique makes fitness much less of an issue.

but fitness can compensate to some degree for lack of technique, especially in novices.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for technique over fitness. And the fact that good lessons and practice tend to lead to improvement in most activities. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Technique must be the reason I've done multiple 100 day seasons on snow and still manage to come back completely unfit and overweight... normally I'd blame booze but I didn't drink last season Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When I went skiing for the first time last year with my college you could see straight away that the fitter people especially the ones who play football or rugby like myself Wink progressed way way faster than the ones who where less fit. Many of us by the end of the week where more confident than some of the people that had been skiing for 2-3 weeks. I just think that the fitter you are the easier it is to get better and get a better technique because your body is used to getting in all sorts of positions. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tomo54, the ones that played sport wouldn't just be fitter; they'd have better balance, less fear of falling etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC, no, sorry. You can't blame being overweight on your technique. Or not on your ski technique, anyway. wink

Strength can overcome lack of technique to a degree. A nephew of mine was once skiing red runs, fast, on his 3rd day, with my daughter. It was in Austria and we pointed them out to our instructor, from a chairlift. He said that the lad was a "natural", and fearless, but was also using massive leg strength (he was a champion Western Australia squash player).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc wrote:
Tomo54, the ones that played sport wouldn't just be fitter; they'd have better balance, less fear of falling etc.

Exactly right.
snow report
The crux here in terms of developing your skiing is not the amount of tuition, but the quality of the tuition. Plus your willingness to change & learn and apply it to your skiing when not in lessons.

Better I think to have longer term (if less frequent) coaching \ tuition with someone who knows what they are doing, than a lot of 'spot' lessons with random Instructors.

Of course, easy to say, but harder to find.
ski holidays
david@mediacopy wrote:
Better I think to have longer term (if less frequent) coaching \ tuition with someone who knows what they are doing, than a lot of 'spot' lessons with random Instructors.

Also exactly right Happy
latest report
All interesting but, I suppose that I should clarify what I was getting at:

Namely, that if people state what it is they get or want to get out of skiing (level, terrain, instructing, all-mountain, racing, etc), what has been their input from a lessons point of view to achieve that goal? As mentioned, for me it has equated to 1.5 hours/week. Which actually doesn't sound much...
snow report
I had about 100 hours of coaching last season, which is down n the previous two years (about 150 hours each). Still lots I want to change about my skiing.
latest report
rob@rar, blimey! I know (or at least think I know) that you've been taking instructor courses.... but is that pretty typical?
ski holidays
rob@rar, wow!
latest report
It includes BASI courses, stuff at Hemel, a race camp and some private lessons in Les Arcs with a trainer I've used for a few years. No idea if it's typical, but it has been key to changing my skiing a huge amount in recent years.
snow report
rob@rar,
Quote:

No idea if it's typical, but it has been key to emptying my bank account by a huge amount in recent years.
Fixed it for you.
wink
snow conditions
rob@rar, and what improvements have you seen?
ski holidays
Hurtle, Laughing
ski holidays
Chasseur, it depends on what you are trying to achieve and how you learn IMO. i could probably do with more lessons but i don't feel my technique holds me back too much. it is more my fitness and what's going on in my head
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

No idea if it's typical, but it has been key to emptying my bank account by a huge amount in recent years.
Fixed it for you.
wink

There's that as well.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
rob@rar, and what improvements have you seen?

So much to list, but I'm more proficient in all aspects of my skiing. More importantly I've rediscovered my passion for skiing after being stuck on the intermediate plateau for many years, as well as discovering a passion for teaching.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur, The ratio of hours tuition to weeks skiing presumably goes fairly steadily downwards for most recreational skiers. It has for me, not because I have fewer lessons than in the past, but because I do a lot of skiing (which isn't the same as doing a lot of improving, of course). In the past three years I have had about 34 hours tuition.
snow report
Chasseur, The real improvements come once you are able to mostly teach yourself, time spent in formal lessons becomes more efficient then as well.
ski holidays
rob@rar, well all of that is good, I should thnk? Love to have a ski some day, maybe with the flyingstantoni too?
snow report
rob@rar, I agree with everything you have said above Blush Blush

But as you get older i find its better just to say F it and go straight, less turns, less energy huge fun Shocked

However I would not recommend this to everyone as a safe way of getting down the mountain, wink ;- and only do this when the slope below is clear wink
ski holidays
I'm not overweight, but neither would I describe myself as fit. Being 'older', although I'm happy to be active, I find the idea of spending time at the gym etc. boring, and so am pursuing the technique route. I started skiing less than 3 years ago but have had lessons pretty much from the beginning and regular coaching sessions for the last year or so. The technique is definitely (slowly Toofy Grin ) improving and, as I commented to the OH after a day long coaching session last weekend, although I started the day feeling tired after the week's work, I didn't feel tired from the skiing at the end of it. I put this down to my improving technique making my skiing more efficient and less tiring snowHead

So, for me, improving technique seems to be overcoming lack of fitness! snowHead
snow conditions
I ski well and with good technique (over 50 days of GOOD lessons) - however excess weight and lack of fitness hinders my performance... but because of good technique it doesn't show! Wink
snow conditions
Quote:

I find the idea of spending time at the gym etc. boring,

Laughing Laughing plenty of people find the "idea" rather captivating but the reality rather boring. You've short-circuited that process, Iski. Think of the money you've saved. Enough for some more lessons. wink
latest report
There must surely be a huge variance in hrs of instruction v's improvement.
For example, the first formal instruction I'd had in years was in a smallish group and frankly, I didn't feel it helped me at all. However a 1 to 1 with the same instructor the following season caused a sea change in my skiing and quite honestly woke me up to what was possible. Further to that, I've had 1 to 1's that were merely 'interesting' while others seemed to just change everything! After an hour or two like that I'll find myself working on refining or ingraining what I've learnt for weeks subsequently. Taking it from the training environment of the blue piste, struggling to make it work on the reds, daring to believe it's even possible on a black (durr, of course it is!) and then trying to figure out when it's appropriate to use off-piste.

Over the past 7 Winters I've skied 4-7wks each season. Sometimes 'pootling' around looking after people, sometimes pushing myself to keep up. In all, I think I've averaged about 2-3hrs formal instruction per season Embarassed
However I am also most fortunate to have spent a good number of days in groups being guided around, off-piste by various mountain guides and instructors. While the focus of these days is not instruction, there will often be moments when we are offered advice about specific conditions or circumstances or a helpful suggestion about our technique may be proffered. Exceptionally, recently, I turned up on a heavy/crusty day on well tuned slalom skis (the guide had effectively challenged me the previous day rolling eyes). It was the one day that we didn't do a warm up run or two on the piste (deliberate? Evil or Very Mad) and I was having trouble adapting from the phats I'd been on all week. So we spent 20-30mins back on piste doing some drills to 'find the feel' - but I'd tend to count that in as formal instruction.
Often, in these circumstances, I'll be back-marking out of politeness but if the guide keeps taking off down the hill and no-one picks up his tail, I tend to regard that as a wasted opportunity and jump in. I have found that whether U know what you're doing or not, simply having an expert of such high calibre, in your field of vision as U ski, is enough to improve your own technique entirely unconsciously.

Contrary to yourself Chasseur, I've not really focussed on racing (although it's always great fun at the bashes), I've been more attracted to sliding down the metaphorical bannisters of off-piste. As a result, I'm comfortable on just about any [sensible] terrain now but still pretty rubbish through the gates.

The net result of all this? Well I tend to think my technique has improved substantially over this time and have all sorts of evidence [in my mind] to back this up. Those more qualified to opine on such things might say otherwise though and slightly disturbingly, Kitty offered me some advice at August's Ski Club which almost exactly echoed Easiski's comment as I crossed the line of the very first EoSB race - perhaps that's proof after all that I should have spent more time in ski school Confused
ski holidays
Quote:

I have found that whether U know what you're doing or not, simply having an expert of such high calibre, in your field of vision as U ski, is enough to improve your own technique entirely unconsciously.

so true. following somebody you trust at a slightly higher speed than you would normally be comfortable with, with them laying down a really good line, is fantastic. I could also follow my instructor down a mogul field I couldn't ski myself, because he was making the decisions. Obviously an instructor who knows how you ski is the best person to follow - because they are sticking to a speed they know you can manage. A good skier with less skill could take you down too fast. Or slow. "Following the mates" can be dodgy. You often see it from a chairlift - no 1 guy looking rather good, no 2 guy skiing well beyond his ability to keep up.

My son skis v well but has had no lessons since he was 9 (he's now 33) but having shared an apartment in Val D'Isere with an instructor for a season, going out with them on days off did huge amounts for his skiing though he said they remained light years out of his league. I have skied with my son and am very wary of his idea of what I can ski. having spent so long skiing with top instructors he thinks he's completely cr@p - doesn't realise how hugely better than me he is so following him closely is NOT a good idea. wink
ski holidays
rob@rar,
Quote:

I had about 100 hours of coaching last season

Wish I could get 100 hours of skiing per season, let alone coaching! Jealous Evil or Very Mad

To the original question - good technique can make up for someone being quite unfit. However conversely I think being very unfit will really hold back the development of technique: when you're tired you don't perform as well, and whilst skiing well won't tire you too much, walking around at high altitude (particularly if a beginner dealing with unweildy equipment) will.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
[b]when you're tired you don't perform as well, and whilst skiing well won't tire you too much, walking around at high altitude (particularly if a beginner dealing with unweildy equipment) will.

I'd agree with that! Madeye-Smiley Laughing
snow report
Started skiing at 37 y.o.
Doctor from resort(ski patrol trainer) tried to stop me from skiing as he thought it too dangerous. I apparently have nerve damage that results in poor feedback and hence poor control of movements. Takes me a long time to learn how to make a movement smoothly.

I had private lessons of necessity for my early ski years.
From 1997 until 2004 I skied 50-70 days each season (in Oz). I also spent 2 weeks in Whistler one summer.

So for 6-7 years I spent 2-6 hours a day in private lessons(occasionally friends came and shared with me) around 50-70 days a year.
I also spent summers doing training as ordered by my instructors - varying from stretches, strength building, balance work, learning to ride a bike, to learning to rollerblade and rollerblade lessons.

From that - my first real race (NASTAR) I was terrified(normal for me as I tended to be injured a lot as a child with undiagnosed movement problems) and had to be shoved out the gate - but got a silver medal. Next race I had a gold (top 20% in my age group)... now aiming for platinum(stay tuned I should get it this year I think) .

Have I got a lot more learning to do? - sure do
Do I consider myself an advanced skier - not really

I'm still taking lessons, learning and doing drills. I'm still making leaps forward every season I ski.

Summary - take lessons to learn. Don't bother if you don't care.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy