Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

avvy backpacks - ABS v Snowpulse v BCA

Poster: A snowHead
Arno, did you get a 15l or 30l model?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
30l
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For touring couldn't find anything better than the Osprey Kode 30 myself. Features are spot on, (helmet carry is so simple, yet genius) and build seems to be bomber.

BCA Stash 16L for days when I just want to carry shovel, probe and skins. Better waistbelt with pockets this year too, and most importantly is lime green Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oz5000, and which of those have airbags??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, let us know how you get on with this after your next trip..

ps I joined the eagles, thanks for the info
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, I'm going back to bed... Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, i am hoping that it only gets used for carrying stuff...
good stuff on the Eagles - hope you get some good trips out of it. if you want to take the BASI mountain module-thingy a step further, the Advanced Training done by the Eagles is really excellent
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, Tim S. mentioned that the new version bags that you have were a lot more comfortable, I wasnt there but he set one off in the bar at hemel apparently so they definitely work! but as you say hopefully not needed..

The trip is being led by two basi guys i know so should be fun, i am still debating about taking the second stage Euro mountain module and hoping if i have fun this trip to do some more training... will keep an eye out for the advanced course.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret,
Quote:

I wasnt there but he set one off in the bar at hemel

was it the avalanche of drinks wink ? made a few people jump Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, i did look at an old snowpulse a couple of years ago but don't remember enough about it to compare the straps. the ones on mine are obviously less flexible t han on other packs, although coming from using an avalung pack which has a certain amount of gubbins in the strap it doesn't seem to be a big deal. the straps are nicely padded with high density foam anyway

you'll probably get a bit more mountaineering skills on the ESC trip, and maybe less use of lifts (but you do get to use them a bit!). my memories are probably particularly rosy because we had awesome snow for the whole week Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alan McGregor wrote:

I always look towards the mountain guides I work with.
Avalanche packs are becoming more common.
But unless they have been given it for free, I don't know a single one using a Snowpulse.

I know at least one of the guides at Piste to Powder in St Anton used the Snowpulse for himself and his clients... I didn't talk to him about them but I will ask if/when I see him this season.

(apologies for late comments on the thread, just saw it linked from another thread so thought I'd take a look...)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, Pleased you've made your decision and got your new purchase.

For the potential benefit if others I'd like to give you my experience re ABS rucksacks..................I bought a 30L ABS 2 years ago and skied with it for 2 trips before eventially conceding that I'd made a basic mistake and sold it, replacing it with the ABS 15L Freeride which is absolutely brilliant. My issue with the 30L was bulk and weight, and the fact that it was just too large to ski on/ off lifts and the weight ditribution seemed all wrong to me - I felt like paco-the-packhorse, and it really adversely affected by balance. In fact when I fell over in deep powder it was a real hindrance in standing up, it was like a ground-anchor!! It was also too big for a day pack and IMO no point carrying about fresh air (or others gear just because I had the room!). Undoubtedly well made, and well engineered but had to go, got a really good price, they hold their value and took a punt on a 15L Freeride. What a difference, same technology, fits all my gear, including spare goggles lenses, skins, additional layers, water bottle, food etc, no need for anything bigger than 15L IMO for a daypack. Totally happy skiing on/ off lifts and skiing about all last season, feels like no pack on at all. Really tricky shovel pocket for my Ortovox shovel and probe on outside, and minor DIY adaption for carrying ski's. Very Happy

Still not sussed carrying on flights, use it as a normal rucksack on plane and leave canister at home, hire canister in resort but tempted to take a flyer and put canister in my hold luggage....................assistance would be welcomed here, any experience on Lufthansa to Munich or Easyjet Geneva from other SH's?? Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29, I've just posted my experience of taking a snowpulse through Luton with Easyjet a couple of weeks ago here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70955

I think that the ABS canister would cause at least as much fuss? Incidentally although there were 2 canisters in my luggage, both clearly visible on the xray, the second one proved a bit tricky to find (turned out to be in a boot) and they decided that the second 'canister' in the picture was definitely my shovel handle . . . a little worrying, but helpful in the event.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29, interesting what you say about size, weight etc of the 30L ABS bag. Mine was bought in Jan 2007 and I partially agree with the weight issue. Getting up after a fall can be hard work, but I thought in my case it was due to age and fitness. My bag as standard carries skins, goggles, spare hat and gloves, etc. I think a smaller pack would have been wrong particularly as some days I need to pack extra food or drink or clothing. I wrote my thoughts here on the bag after two weeks use. I am now more used to the bag but my earlier comments still seem valid. I believe the recent models of ABS bag have a different layout of pockets than my bag.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone have any idea if there is a UK agent for ABS?

Cheers
snow conditions
skierchris wrote:
Anyone have any idea if there is a UK agent for ABS?

Cheers

Not sure about the ABS brand, but Facewest.co.uk stock SnowPulse sacks.
snow report
skierchris, Hi there is snowsafe.co.uk ask to speak to Daniel Hollingsworth, or us see link below.
latest report
skierchris, we are both retail tho, there is no UK based distributor to the trade, we have to deal with Germany, if thats what you meant.
snow report
skierchris,
As livetoski, says speak to Daniel at snowsafe, great guys, bought mine from them.

Also just to let all know I have late last week been in touch with Lufthansa and pre-booked my ABS on the Munich flight. Initially were all confused but when I faxed them the IATA info they were fine, also they have it listed now as an agreed carryable item.....................result.

Has to have canister removed and also handle, both stored in hold bag (put one in each ski boot) and carry bag on plane as hand luggage. They put it as notes for check-in staff, and said no need to even mention it when we turn up, how efficient is Lufthansa!! Very Happy
latest report
Just been reading details and a comparison of the various air bag systems. See http://www.wildsnow.com/3736/airbag-overview/ for lots of info.
snow report
Adrian, Wildsnow is pretty good for a lot of info, however they have not really updated their info with the newer Snowpulse range for 2011 and the changes made to the bags for this season.

Also they do not go into much detail about the 2 sizes of cylinders for the Snowpulse airbags, there is a 207 bar 0.36L for the US and Canada market and a 300 bar 0.25L for the rest of the world. The main reason for the difference is that in the US they are not apporved to fill to the same pressure as Europe, so have to use a larger cylinder at a lower pressure to get the same amount of air into the airbag.

It is prefectly OK to us the 0.25L cylinder anywhere in the world.

The BCA Float has not yet got approval for use in Europe, I was informed only a couple of days ago that it should be available for next season, however I would not hold my breath on this, the other interesting point is that the BCA Flaot when it does get to Europe will prob be the same price as the Snowpulse system, however this is all a little speculative as nothing yet has been confirmed.

Hope this helps, I will leave the ever present question about flying with airbags for other threads
snow conditions
livetoski, I know very little about these air bags other than the ABS that I own. The article seemed interesting and extensive, also it is dated 15 Dec 2010 so I thought it should be fairly up to date. However, mistakes and omissions are always possible and it is nice to get updates.
snow report
Thought I might update this after a few days' use of my Snowpulse Lifebag (30l). Random thoughts in no particular order:

1. it is a really nicely specced pack with good ski carry, sensible pockets, loops etc

2. i would say its capacity is a little smaller than the specified volume suggests, probably because of the cylinder etc

3. it is noticeably heavier than my old pack which takes a little adjustment. however, i am quite used to skiing with fairly heavy packs (for touring etc) so not a huge issue for me. it is comfortable and well fitting for me. although the straps are a little less flexible than conventional packs, this isn't a big issue in use

4. air transport with Swiss was fine; BA say you should phone in advance so they can put a note on your booking which I have done for a trip next week. you can't take a filled cylinder in or out of North America. Since I visit BC fairly frequently, I am considering getting a North America legal cylinder just to keep over there. I thought it might be possible to rent over there but the stockist in Whistler doesn't seem to offer this service, which is a shame
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
BA say you should phone in advance so they can put a note on your booking which I have done for a trip next week.
Please report back on how BA deal with.
snow report
rob@rar, the BA lady put me on hold and spoke to security at T5 so it sounds like they are reasonably clued up but the proof of the pudding etc...
snow conditions
I'm going to buy an ABS with the 18L ultralight pack, just not here in Switzerland because they are over £1,000 even down in the valley !
snow report
Alan McGregor, I have the Vario and struggled with the 15L for a long time. I recently got the 30L and it's not that large, but so much better. I basically couldn't carry glacier travel / abseil gear with the 15L. Be sure before you buy.
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
Alan McGregor, I have the Vario and struggled with the 15L for a long time. I recently got the 30L and it's not that large, but so much better. I basically couldn't carry glacier travel / abseil gear with the 15L. Be sure before you buy.

Thanks for the advice. Was planning on adding the 30L for touring / glacier although I am concerned that is going to end up very heavy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alan McGregor, at the end of the day it's just the extra weight of the extra gear, the difference in empty pack weight between 15 and 30 is not much a deal breaker. Stuggling to fit things in, is, IMO. No way does my 30L hold as much as my old 28L Millet pack.
ski holidays
sneak preview of BCA stuff for next season here, the Float 30 is still part of the range as well as being updated.(pdf is a couple of megs)

http://orw.goexposoftware.com/2011/FORMfields/uploads/pressreleasescurprurl1294790458975953053.pdf

I like the look of the 18L size BCA nice clean lines, looking forward to trying it out soon Very Happy
ski holidays
mr wari avalanche institute has posted another batch of pics of him doing cruel and unusual things to tailors dummies:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214676

seems the conclusion is that bags keep you on the surface but trauma is always going to be an issue
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:

I like the look of the 18L size BCA nice clean lines, looking forward to trying it out soon Very Happy

Very clean lines not even any ski carry straps, looks like it's more aimed at the snowmobile market.
latest report
Arno, great photo's and really interesting to see where the airbags came to rest.

betterinblack, The spec says diagonal ski carry, but I have very few details yet Sad
snow report
The new carbon ABS canister is soooooooooo light together with the UltraLight 15lt Vario - now it's a really nice piece of kit as well Smile - before was functional but a tad heavy rolling eyes
latest report
any news on wether BCA are coming to Europe in 2011/12 season, I agree the 18L looks very clean, but the blurb says it supports diagonal ski carry system, just can't see how??
snow report
kitenski, wink Very Happy I was told yes all three sizes for 2012.
latest report
Arno wrote:
seems the conclusion is that bags keep you on the surface but trauma is always going to be an issue
Having something above the surface is going to dramatically decrease the time taken to dig you out, so good to see that. Did they conclude that the trauma was possibly increased by wearing an airbag, or just that trauma is always a risk regardless of whether you have an airbag?
snow report
rob@rar, i don't think this test concluded that. however, i have seen things which say you are likely to be carried further by an avalanche if you activate your bag so if you are avalanched above a cliff or dense trees that could be an issue
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy