Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Socks

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, after several years wear i am looking to replace my ski socks and was wondering what socks you prefer to use i dont have an issue with price as i find there is nothing worse than cold feet when trying to ski. I've heard that Bridgedale and Smartwool socks are highly recommended what's your opinion on these.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Falke.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the ones that blues the ski shop give you when you go and try boots on
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr Technique wrote:
Falke.

No need to be like that - it's a perfectly reasonable question wink

I find my WigWams are lovely and warm but they're not easy to finf these days
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Merino.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr Technique wrote:
Falke.

SK 1 ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chelt881, i love my smartwools. they've worn well over the last two years i've had them (about three weeks use + day trips to domes) and don't smell too bad after a days wear.

i think they're the phds so they're a bit pricier - i got them in the end of season sale or out of season on special, can't remember which.

not sure if it's relevant to what you want an opinion on though, as i snowboard and they're the snowboard specific ones. fit/comfort/reinforcement/etc. may be different for skiers.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chelt881, Mr A recommends his Smartwool - cost around £12 a pair IIRC but on their 4th week of skiing and no signs of wear
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shoogly wrote:

+1

and the 3 free pairs they give you when you choose to buy boots from them. I think they are Sundown.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smartwool PHD for me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I buy all the familys and friends ski socks from here
http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/catalogue_main.php?catID=1059
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Falke, but now I wear Asics compression socks (for an old ankle injury that is causing problems) and find them both warm enough and extremely comfortable.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Falke, nothing else compares.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robboj wrote:
Falke, nothing else compares.

Why did you find they were better than the Smartwool PHDs?

p.s I got horrendously lost in Paisley the other day - what a weird place!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Falke or Smartwool
Blues Ski socks are fine too.
snow conditions
scotia wrote:

p.s I got horrendously lost in Paisley the other day - what a weird place!

Dangerous Happy
ski holidays
Falke all the way. Only because it's all I've ever used and they impress me that much I don't feel compelled to try anything else!

Cannot recommend these socks highly enough. They are pricey but well worth it IMO: http://www.skibartlett.com/falke-energizing-ski-sock-men-8284-p.asp
snow report
c0Ka|Ne, £30 quid for socks? I don't mind paying top dollar for something decent but that takes the wee wee Laughing

glasgowcyclops, probably lucky to be alive Wink
ski holidays
Doesn't really matter if your boots fit correctly.
snow conditions
scotia wrote:
c0Ka|Ne, £30 quid for socks? I don't mind paying top dollar for something decent but that takes the wee wee Laughing

Indeed, and I bought 3 pairs! Yes you read that correctly, I spent almost a ton on socks.

But they do help induce abnormal energy levels (anyone at Rob/Scott's clinic the other day will testify to this Very Happy)
ski holidays
xsocks are also good and the highest price Decathlon socks are not bad either (I also have some Smartwool and some Falke pairs).
snow report
Another +1 for Falke (but mainly cos that's all you can buy here, well except x-socks in the last yr or so)

SK2 I think? SK1 is too fat and chunky. Prefer all the same thickness, that way I know the boots fit exactly the same each day.
snow conditions
I agree that Falke are good, but so are Lidl ski socks when they come in - probably in November - at a fraction of the price.
snow report
Falke SK4 - thin, comfortable and keep you warm. At one time i had a few different makes that i had bought on offer and sometimes i'd be uncomfortable as some were thicker than others, warmer etc. I am sure many are pretty similar, but just make sure you only use one type and wear them when you have a boot fitting.

The thinner the better as they give you better feel and if your feet are cold you need to wear more layers on your torso or ski a little harder.
snow conditions
c0Ka|Ne wrote:
scotia wrote:

Indeed, and I bought 3 pairs! Yes you read that correctly, I spent almost a ton on socks.

But they do help induce abnormal energy levels (anyone at Rob/Scott's clinic the other day will testify to this Very Happy)

Found someone else who swears by them http://legacy.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/071012/sock.shtml
snow report
shoogly wrote:

Word up. They're made by 'sundown'
latest report
Teko merino for me. Toasty warm, odour-free and have shown no wear after 60+ days of skiing
snow report
anarchicsaltire wrote:
c0Ka|Ne wrote:
scotia wrote:

Found someone else who swears by them http://legacy.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/071012/sock.shtml

ROFL!!!!! EXPOSED!!!!

I suppose you'll want to check out my socks at the next clinic Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smart Wool
ski holidays
Cheers for the response guys wasn't quite anticipating as many reply for a thread about socks but now know that falke socks seem to be the ones to go for dont think il be spending £90 on them like c0Ka|Ne though.
ski holidays
Quote:

wasn't quite anticipating as many reply for a thread about socks

Really? If you think they're anal about socks, just ask about wicking knickers.
ski holidays
pam w, Laughing
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

wasn't quite anticipating as many reply for a thread about socks

Really? If you think they're anal about socks, just ask about wicking knickers.

There is a 7 page thread on Glove Techique somewhere on here Toofy Grin
latest report
Zero-G, c0Ka|Ne, have to agree there I wonder what my son was wearing that day Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
livetoski, what son? What day? What happened?
snow report
Thorlo
ski holidays
Zero-G, was at Hemel, my son did a back scratcher caught his tips and faceplanted HARD was during the inside out session couple of Mondays ago was quite a talking point, but the irony of it all was that I had to buy him a pair of cheap socks in SandR cos he forgot his, and its not like we are short of merino socks at our place wink
snow report
Another vote for smartwool, i also like the thorlo 'extreme's. With one on each foot the thorlo'd foot seemed drier but maybe not quite as toasty. Never tried Falke but only heard good things.
latest report
Used to use Smartwool till they sold out and quality reduced, now use Teko, best ski socks I've ever had. Very Happy
latest report
Spyderman, as sold by the Pie Master. I liked them too, wish I didn't have to wear the poxy compression socks now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy