Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats after Scotland: family goes to Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Childcare = forward planning - I'm now discovering fast. The 'firm base' btw was always sheet or black ice!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dear Roga, I'm quite sure Scotland can be great, but a bookie could get rich forecasting the amount of time you can get good snow, 4 to 12 months out. I am a Holiday skier, I cant afford otherwise as I have to work in the Northwest of England and house a family. In other words a decent holiday skier having started 40 years ago, (now 53).
I have been able to get good snow every one of the last 26 years in Europe( a break of a few years you may notice), going twice a year. So simply based upon my experience. Not much else to base this upon I'm afraid.
From what Stax wrote I assumed he was a holiday skier. Does not matter how good you are, a bit of common sense on what makes a good holiday is in order. If you have easy access to the Cairngorms, I would be there most weekends, -when conditions were good, but it would be quicker living in the North of Englad to get to the Alps. I do indeed love a good mountain restaurant. Horses for Courses, as you might say. Cheers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
twoodwar wrote:
Dear Roga, I'm quite sure Scotland can be great

Like *all* of last season, much of the previous season and March/April pretty much any season you care to mention ... yeah it can Smile
Quote:
but a bookie could get rich forecasting the amount of time you can get good snow, 4 to 12 months out.

I'd bet on there being good snow in March/April pretty much every year.
Quote:
I am a Holiday skier, I cant afford otherwise as I have to work in the Northwest of England and house a family.

I don't quite understand your point, I have to work in the South west of England and house a family ... bully for me!

All I can say, having done the run from the in-laws in Durham is it's a hell of a lot of a quicker and easier drive/flight/train trip than it is from where I am.
Quote:
In other words a decent holiday skier having started 40 years ago, (now 53).

I was similar until I decided to start instructors qualifications a few years back, prior to doing those though the family had quite a few trips to Scotland for a ski as well as the odd one to the Alps. Difference I guess was I grew up skiing and never saw it as a holiday thing (the winter equivalent of a beach holiday I suppose), rather I ski and skied at every possible opportunity even if that meant driving overnight a few hundred miles at a weekend or just the 50 mile round trip for a regular session at the nearest decent dry slope. I guess I've always viewed skiing in a similar way to the guys I know who'll take the Friday overnight train from London to the Scottish Highlands to climb and walk, it's a commitment and a lifestyle that's in their blood and I admire them for it. Don't get me wrong there's no shame though in being a once a year holiday skier, frankly they, rather than the more commited types, are the lifeblood of the industry so all power to them. Some may disagree but personally I don't think Scotland really is the best place for the winter 'beach' holiday type of thing although it made a damned good stab at it last season (and may again this). However snowy Costa it aint, it's special and unique, wild and exciting, frustrating and fulfilling if approached with the right mindset (more important than skillset IMHO) and it has great rewards for those who are open minded enough to accept it is different to the mass mega resorts and motorway pistes that appeal to a great many UK based holiday skiers. However, as someone on this thread has already said Wink horses for courses and personally I'd rather have a mix of Scotland, the Alps and elsewhere than just the one but if someone forced me choose one over the other I know where my heart of hearts lies, warts and all!

I guess if I were based up in your area I'd also spend time at the various club fields that are run by bands of admirably hardy and commited enthusists - do you use these club fields at all, they must be reasonably close?
Quote:
I have been able to get good snow every one of the last 26 years in Europe( a break of a few years you may notice), going twice a year. So simply based upon my experience. Not much else to base this upon I'm afraid.

And it can be more variable in Scotland, no great revelation there and nobody would pretend otherwise ... again not sure what your point is?
Quote:
From what Stax wrote I assumed he was a holiday skier. Does not matter how good you are, a bit of common sense on what makes a good holiday is in order.

The OP has made his/her decision and I'd guess knows the Scottish conditions well enough on the basis of what he's said so what point are you trying to make exactly, that he's wrong, that I don't know what I'm talking about, that you've made a different decision and are happy with it? If the latter then I'm pleased for you but kindly don't presume to think that it's the only possible decision that could be made nor the most sensible IMHO given the possibility Stax has of a good few weeks (and weekends) in Scotland as opposed to a mere 7 days in the Alps.
Quote:
If you have easy access to the Cairngorms, I would be there most weekends, -when conditions were good, but it would be quicker living in the North of Englad to get to the Alps.

More reliable snow high up yes but not sure about the getting there quicker thing (or do I drive too fast?), might be cheaper if you just look at flight prices though but that soon adds up when you have a family in tow.
Quote:
I do indeed love a good mountain restaurant. Horses for Courses, as you might say. Cheers.

Personally I like a good apres ski curry Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Personally I like a good apres ski curry

Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roga all fair points, you are indeed skiing a lot more than me. Skiing is only No.2 sport for me, - Golf as if you may not have guessed is no.1. I would hate an apres curry. Would miss the singlemalt, but d enjoy what I consider to be a more dramtic and scenic setting, despite the obvious beauty of the highlands. However I guess I am in the majority of people who would consider themseves keen skiers. Holidays essetially and look forward to it immensly. Horse for courses. Enjoy your skiing Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
twoodwar,
Quote:

Skiing is only No.2 sport for me, - Golf as if you may not have guessed is no.1.

All the more reason to go to Aviemore, Boat of Garten is a superb course if the snow isn't good and Grantown on Spey is pretty decent as well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar Boat of Garten is a very fine course. To illustrate an earlier point, the last time I played it was on a 'sking' break there, as there was no snow! This example may have coloured my judgement, but it was 26 years ago, and I booked in advance accomodation!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

it would be quicker living in the North of Englad to get to the Alps

Please tell me how. From Manchester, I can get to Glencoe in 4 1/2 hours. If you can get to anywhere in the Alps quicker than that, I'll be amazed.

I've been to La Clusaz, Chamonix and Morzine which are supposed to be among the closest ski areas to Geneva Airport. I only live about 5 miles from Manchester airport and half of that is motorway. I think it's taken 7-8hrs from door to door each time. Nearly twice as long. All tips not requiring a Lear Jet gratefully received.

Quote:

I'd bet on there being good snow in March/April pretty much every year

Alas not in March 2007 when I went ski-mountaineering. I gather the Alps weren't great that year either but it was pretty bad.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dear What Snow

Never been to Glencoe, -talking about Aviemore. 7 hours minimum. That is if you dont fancy 3 points, or worse. I live 8 minutes from Liverpool Airport by Taxi. 2 Hours check in, 1,3/4 hour flight, 1/2 hour awaiting luggage, whilst an other goes to get hire car sorted. 1 hour to Avoriaz, Samoens, Les Contamines etc. 5 1/2 hours. Hold ups do happen, but then so do Road works and Car Crashes. As I drive around 25,000 miles a year, a chance to give the car a rest is welcome. Also a chance for a read or a kip on the plane. Not perfect, once ended up in Basle and a 10 hour journey as Geneva was closed because of snow, but on average definately quicker.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy